Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
awful human being in ohio
Quote | Reply
apparently going around and killing people while he streams it live on facebook. awful.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: awful human being in ohio [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
apparently going around and killing people while he streams it live on facebook. awful.

Am I the only person who thinks Facebook live is a terrible, terrible idea that really needs to be shut down?

If I am, so be it. Maybe I am a snowflake. But there have been far too many stories like this for my liking.

http://globalnews.ca/...acebook-live-murder/

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: awful human being in ohio [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
veganerd wrote:

Am I the only person who thinks Facebook live is a terrible, terrible idea that really needs to be shut down?

If I am, so be it. Maybe I am a snowflake. But there have been far too many stories like this for my liking.

I mentioned it in passing awhile back but it seems to be causing a lot of issues.

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: awful human being in ohio [Rodred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just don't understand why they would want to give people like this a free, easy to use platform with millions of potential viewers.

Last edited by: BLeP: Apr 16, 17 16:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have mixed emotions. IF these people are going to kill anyway, and just choose to do it on Facebook - then let's keep it so we can identify them and lock them away. However, if they wouldn't otherwise do it - then we should consider taking action to prevent it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
veganerd wrote:

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just don't understand why they would want to give people like this a free, easy to use platform with millions of potential viewers.

You want then to shut down Facebook???
Quote Reply
Re: awful human being in ohio [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pink?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I for one would support streaming his execution live
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FB live is an incredible tool for educational interaction with live, communal Q&A opportunities. It's great, but obviously can be abused like anything else.

What I don't understand is how these people have much of an audience. It seems that reactions about FB live being stopped are more emotionally knee-jerk about how sick these cases are instead of the criminals actually having much of an audience. I thought the live streams were only available to a person's FB friends, followers if it's a public persona/company profile, or to the public only if someone happened to find a FB live stream that was made public. It would take a sick individual from the killer's friend list to share the videos after they've streamed.

BLeP wrote:
veganerd wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rodred wrote:

I mentioned it in passing awhile back but it seems to be causing a lot of issues.

Your position should be that FB Live don't kill people, people kill people. But then, people are rarely consistent with their trhinking.
Quote Reply
Re: awful human being in ohio [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
Rodred wrote:

Your position should be that FB Live don't kill people, people kill people. But then, people are rarely consistent with their trhinking.

Then by your logic, you think FB Live should be banned? Or just common sense regulation for people to have access?

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: awful human being in ohio [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CruseVegas wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:
Rodred wrote:

Then by your logic, you think FB Live should be banned? Or just common sense regulation for people to have access?

And by his logic in another thread a while back - anyone who uses FB Live is complicit in the death of the victim.
Quote Reply
Re: awful human being in ohio [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:
Rodred wrote:

And by his logic in another thread a while back - anyone who uses FB Live is complicit in the death of the victim.

Mirrors and glass houses. lol

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: awful human being in ohio [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
Rodred wrote:

Actually that is my position as I simply put the question out there after the gang rape that was broadcast. But it's a discussion to be had as Facebook Live is not a Constitutional right and maybe the people that run it should or shouldn't do some soul searching.

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rodred wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:
Rodred wrote:

Actually that is my position as I simply put the question out there after the gang rape that was broadcast. But it's a discussion to be had as Facebook Live is not a Constitutional right and maybe the people that run it should or shouldn't do some soul searching.

Facebook has now clarified that this was a posted video, not Facebook live. He did use Facebook live earlier in the day though. But not to kill someone.

So my reaction was definitely knee-jerk. Anyone can also simply post a video of a killing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Rodred wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:
Rodred wrote:

Facebook has now clarified that this was a posted video, not Facebook live. He did use Facebook live earlier in the day though. But not to kill someone.

So my reaction was definitely knee-jerk. Anyone can also simply post a video of a killing.

That was going to be my question to you. How is FB Live and the depravity its functionality enables that much different than something like YouTube, where you can upload a video almost instantaneously once the video is complete?
Quote Reply
Re: awful human being in ohio [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't YouTube have a live function? There are a number of sites that do offer live streaming.

Quote Reply
Re: awful human being in ohio [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CruseVegas wrote:
Doesn't YouTube have a live function? There are a number of sites that do offer live streaming.

Yes. But my question to BLeP was about what the difference is for something like the Ohio case between a live stream (regardless of platform on which it is streamed) vs. near-instantaneous upload after the fact. If the viewers are commenting and requesting things in realtime I can see that as one way that livestream could be more damaging than after the fact posting, but as far as I know that wasn't an issue in the Ohio case - haven't read a whole lot about it though.
Quote Reply
Re: awful human being in ohio [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like I said, kneejerk reaction. Anyone can post a video of anything. Just somehow feels worse when it's posted live. But no, I see no difference.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Like I said, kneejerk reaction. Anyone can post a video of anything. Just somehow feels worse when it's posted live. But no, I see no difference.

Gotcha. I wouldn't put it past sick folks to start chiming in with comments & requests for specific acts in real time, which could then make the platform even worse. Though I suppose it could also mean more exposure for the perpetrator if the authorities are watching or it gets reported to the authorities - they then have an opportunity to try to go deal with the situation in real time as well.
Last edited by: wimsey: Apr 17, 17 8:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yahoo reporting that the useless POS shot himself after a brief police chase. Glad they put the pressure on him and hopefully prevented him from killing anyone else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
Yahoo reporting that the useless POS shot himself after a brief police chase. Glad they put the pressure on him and hopefully prevented him from killing anyone else.

http://www.cnn.com/...ing-video/index.html

Apparently killed himself while his car was spinning after a cop executed a PIT maneuver to stop him. Never heard that term before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:

he claimed to have killed others. i hope its npt true.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply

Prev Next