Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

One bottle, five sticks, $60 or less
Quote | Reply
Looking for the best value combo of whiskey/bourbon paired with a five-pack of cigars. Most bang for the buck on both, with complementary flavor profiles. Whatcha got for me?

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: One bottle, five sticks, $60 or less [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

You want to buy 5 cigars and a bottle of whisky for 60 bucks total?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Looking for the best value combo of whiskey/bourbon paired with a five-pack of cigars. Most bang for the buck on both, with complementary flavor profiles. Whatcha got for me?

Not sure you can get all of that under $60 and do very well, but I will say I really like Glenmorangie's Quinta Ruban with a cigar. The port finish works nicely.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JD and a pack of Swisher Sweets.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: One bottle, five sticks, $60 or less [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking for a birthday gift for a friend. I was browsing for top value cigars and found JR's top ten list, most of which can be had for under $20/5-pack. That leaves $40 for a bottle, which should cover some of the recommendations I've read here (Four Roses, Buffalo Trace).

With the collection of aficionados here, I figure someone has stumbled across a pairing that hits the right notes. "Evenly matched" seems to be the general consensus when pairing, so that one doesn't overpower the other.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, well I can only recommend some good whiskeys in your price range.

The JW Double Black is about $40. Glenmorangie original 10yr, which I really like and is relatively light, is about $45. Glenfiddich 12 and the Chivas 12 should also both be in that range.

For bourbon, I'd think you can find a lot of options since bourbon tends to be less expensive than Scotch. Four Roses, Evan Williams, Elijah Craig, plus many more below the $40 price tag.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i understand the challenge here but what you're looking at is relatively lower tier bourbon and cheap-ish cigars if you go down this route. Not saying expensive (and that's relative isn't it?) is necessarily better.

So to meet your challenge i would recommend Elijah Craig Small Batch (which comes in around $27) and for the cigars something like LFD Chiselito Maduro which are a decent smoke and combine to make mission here.

https://www.cigar.com/...duro-cigars/1513365/

Upping the ante to around $100USD total and a much better pairing i would recommend would be the LFD line on chisel tip cigars but in the Habana Maduro Gordo along with a bottle of artisan dark rum from Richland Rum in GA--this stuff is just flat out great!

http://www.richlandrum.com/

hopefully this is of some help--a noble quest Amigo!

/r

Steve
Last edited by: Steve Hawley: Apr 16, 17 15:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is easy.

Arturo Fuente Chateau Fuente (4 1/2 x 50). Should be about $5 each. Very pleasant smoke.

Four Roses Small Batch. About $30.

Done and done.

Other good recommendations on the bourbon in this thread. Trust me on the cigars.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Apr 17, 17 0:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Basil Haydens on the booze front. Can be had for around $30.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: One bottle, five sticks, $60 or less [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious if you've tried a Partagas P2? In my limited experience, that, by far, is my running favourite.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: One bottle, five sticks, $60 or less [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Curious if you've tried a Partagas P2? In my limited experience, that, by far, is my running favourite.

The Cuban version? Never able to try it. Don't those run $16-20 in Canada?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Yes.
But they're closer to $35 CDN... Not applicable to this thread, I was just curious what your thoughts on them were, if you were able to try it. It was recommended to me as a richer montecristo #2. Very enjoyable, to my palate at least.

I'll be in Havana in 4 weeks. Definitely going to pick some up.

Quote Reply
Re: One bottle, five sticks, $60 or less [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
JSA wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Yes.
But they're closer to $35 CDN... Not applicable to this thread, I was just curious what your thoughts on them were, if you were able to try it. It was recommended to me as a richer montecristo #2. Very enjoyable, to my palate at least.

I'm only familiar with them because I have had the Montecristo #2 and was told they are "better" overall. I sure would love to see the embargo lifted. It's time already.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a big fan of Eagle Rare at that price point. Basil Haydens is solid, but feels like a watered down ER. Four Roses is good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
JSA wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Yes.

I'm only familiar with them because I have had the Montecristo #2 and was told they are "better" overall. I sure would love to see the embargo lifted. It's time already.

Definitely. I live in a town that gets a lot of American tourists, so, all of our cigar shops are very heavy on Cubans. So much so, that it's really difficult to find good non Cubans cigars locally. A large shop might be 95% Cuban, then one small section way in the back with everything else in it. Of your previous recommendations to me, I could only find 1 locally, despite having 4 pretty decent sized cigar shops in town!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Solid recommendations based on the reviews, will give them a go. I'm picking up a bottle of John J. Bowman Single Barrel as well, made (finished, actually) just a few miles down the road from my house. Last time I sampled it I was highly impressed. Apparently I'm not the only one.

Last edited by: sphere: Apr 17, 17 18:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Solid recommendations based on the reviews, will give them a go. I'm picking up a bottle of John J. Bowman Single Barrel as well, brewed just a few miles down the road from my house. Last time I sampled it I was highly impressed. Apparently I'm not the only one.

Virginia bourbon?!?!?! W? T? F???

I kid! I kid! Heard of it. Never tried it. Report back once you try it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sipped it once at a beer & wine festival about a half mile from the distillery. It's the first bourbon I can remember actually enjoying.

It's Buffalo Trace twice distilled, then shipped to Fredericksburg for a third distilling and barrel aging. Not sure why, exactly, but the climate change seems to impart a distinctive character, relative to it's source distillate.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Appreciate the recommendation. I'll be lighting one of these tonight by the fire pit.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know anything about cigars but grab a bottle of Old Grandad 114, it is the best value in bourbon but it is hard to find. It is not smooth but the flavor is better than the vast majority. Hit it with a splash of water and you will be set.
Quote Reply