Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Most underrated place in every state
Quote | Reply
https://www.thrillist.com/...k-and-every-us-state

Damn, have been to most states and have not been to most of these places. Time to reassess.

Any other spots from this group that are must dos in your state?
Quote Reply
Re: Most underrated place in every state [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most underrated? I don't know. But paddling/camping French River Provincial Park in Ontario is on my list of to dos that nobody knows about.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do not go out of your way to visit Worcester, MA. It may be underrated, but it's not *that* underrated.

Apostle Islands in Wisconsin are great.

St. Augustine in Florida isn't exactly hidden, but I suppose it's less well-known and hyped than Orlando and Miami. It's a decent place to spend a weekend if you're in the area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up not far from Trap Pond State Park in Delaware, my parents still live nearby, but I've never checked it out. Maybe this summer I'll do so.

I wouldn't call the Allagash Waterway in Maine under-rated. I thought it was a well known great place for canoe trips?

If I had to pick a place in Maine that I've experienced and is under-rated it would be the Bold Coast/Cutler area hike. This is about a 7 or 8 mile loop shaped like a rectangle with one of the long sides right along the cliffs above the Atlantic Ocean. Looking north along the coast you can see Canada. IIRC, it's the longest undeveloped coastline on the eastern seaboard, something like 12 miles. It's a pretty flat hike too, so not too strenuous. Only drawback is that the camp sites for an overnight backpacking trip are at the far southern end of the reserve and there is a huge naval (I think) communication center just south of it. So if you look south you're looking at this massive array of antennas and dishes, etc. and there's a light house out on the peninsula there that pings all night long sometimes.

https://www1.maine.gov/dacf/mgs/explore/bedrock/sites/jun10.pdf

This is probably a better link for info:

http://www.mainetrailfinder.com/trails/trail/cutler-coast-public-reserved-land

Last edited by: ThisIsIt: Apr 13, 17 7:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They suggested Brasstown Bald in GA which is nice, as is Dahlonega. However, they suggested Helen which is quite overrated in my opinion. My wife and I honeymooned near there 25 years ago and it wasn't anything special.
Quote Reply
Re: Most underrated place in every state [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Alabama and Georgia "most underrated places" are both within a 2 hour drive from the Tennessee most underrated place, Chattanooga.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In New York they want me to go drink riesling in the Fingerlakes. What are you kidding me! This is New York and that's what you want me to do. There is no way I'm drinking reisling!!!!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I honeymooned near there 25 years ago and it wasn't anything special.

That's what she said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
They suggested Brasstown Bald in GA which is nice, as is Dahlonega. However, they suggested Helen which is quite overrated in my opinion. My wife and I honeymooned near there 25 years ago and it wasn't anything special.

Live in NoGA and my thought before opening the article was if they didn't have Cloudland Canyon for GA that the entire article was bunk. It got an honorable mention, but not sure if that means much as Brasstown is probably the most overrated. If it wasn't the highest point it wouldn't hit anyone's radar as a spot to visit.
Quote Reply
Re: Most underrated place in every state [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree, I don't know that I'd call Worcester underrated but I can think of plenty of other places around the state that I'd go to before then.

As far as the list, I've been to Juneau and agree - great spot with plenty of great hiking trails just outside of the city limits and plenty of great food options (I've also been to the Alaskan Brewery Co) to choose from.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Most underrated place in every state [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
Do not go out of your way to visit Worcester, MA. It may be underrated, but it's not *that* underrated.

St. Augustine in Florida isn't exactly hidden, but I suppose it's less well-known and hyped than Orlando and Miami. It's a decent place to spend a weekend if you're in the area.

Ha! Worcester. I can't imagine visiting there for fun.

I'd love to see a most overrated place in every state.
Quote Reply
Re: Most underrated place in every state [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been to Helen & Dahlonega several times for cycling trips in the area. It's gorgeous, but I agree that Helen & Brasstown probably aren't the best candidates for an underrated list. North Georgia BBQ in Helen is fantastic, though. That alone almost makes me wish that our annual trip wasn't moved to N. Carolina instead, as much as I love the Asheville area where we go now.

TimeIsUp wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

Live in NoGA and my thought before opening the article was if they didn't have Cloudland Canyon for GA that the entire article was bunk. It got an honorable mention, but not sure if that means much as Brasstown is probably the most overrated. If it wasn't the highest point it wouldn't hit anyone's radar as a spot to visit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From places I have been:

NY, yes finger lakes are underrated. I don't care for wine, but beautiful country.

MN, Voyageurs National Park, um no. Only go there if you like walleye fishing and own your own boat.
Quote Reply
Re: Most underrated place in every state [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triocd wrote:
wimsey wrote:

Pretty much every big city in the country, is my guess.

I'll third (fourth? fifth?) Worcester not being some hidden gem/underrated town. Not worth it at all, though outside of Boston, the Cape, and some towns on the coast that most people know I don't know what actually can be called underrated...lot of crap west of 495.
Quote Reply
Re: Most underrated place in every state [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
My wife and I honeymooned near there 25 years ago and it wasn't anything special.

That's what she said.

Heh, I was gonna chirp on that too, but your zinger is better that what I had...
Quote Reply
Re: Most underrated place in every state [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:

That's what she said.

I served that up nicely, I was hoping that someone would take a swing.

Wait. I probably shouldn't have put "swing" and "honeymoon" in the same post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of these states must be pretty boring.

KY - "Hey, you can see Ohio from here."

NE - "We have a park where the most interesting thing is this sign."

WV - "We painted a quonset hut funny colors."

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just glad they didn't name the place in CA that I think is most underrated.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Most underrated place in every state [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bellingham, zzz... it's where I top off my gas tank before I head up to Whistler.
Quote Reply
Re: Most underrated place in every state [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
Triocd wrote:
wimsey wrote:

Pretty much every big city in the country, is my guess.

I'll third (fourth? fifth?) Worcester not being some hidden gem/underrated town. Not worth it at all, though outside of Boston, the Cape, and some towns on the coast that most people know I don't know what actually can be called underrated...lot of crap west of 495.

I have to disagree...there's lots of great small towns and outdoor stuff in western ma in the pioneer valley and the Berkshires. You gotta go way past 495 though before its gets nice though.

My most overrated for ma is definitely cape cod. Horrific traffic and I found the cycling awful due to narrow roads and a million cars in the summer.
Last edited by: Triocd: Apr 13, 17 11:39
Quote Reply
Re: Most underrated place in every state [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

This. Cloudland Canyon is beautiful, as are the Cohuttas, the Toccoa River swinging bridge, Springer Mountain, most of North Georgia. We recently spend some time in Clayton and near Lake Rabun - worth a visit.

Helen is contrived and overrated. It does have Unicoi State Park nearby, which is kind of nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Most underrated place in every state [atl_tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is Helen where they have the nice Octoberfest every year?
I would vote Blue Ridge, GA.
And for TN, that's THE spot. I am not sure if I would consider Chattanooga underrated, but its a fantastic place. And a good family spot.
Quote Reply
Re: Most underrated place in every state [atl_tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
atl_tony wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

This. Cloudland Canyon is beautiful, as are the Cohuttas, the Toccoa River swinging bridge, Springer Mountain, most of North Georgia. We recently spend some time in Clayton and near Lake Rabun - worth a visit.

Helen is contrived and overrated. It does have Unicoi State Park nearby, which is kind of nice.

There are some nice parks to the south of ATL . Not quite as scenic as North GA, but a lot closer to PC. We like The Little White House around Pine Mountain and Providence Canyon near Eufala, AL.

There is a small park near Pine Mountain that is on the river and has nice bluffs you can hike. I don't see it on the list of GA parks, so maybe it is a county park.
Quote Reply
Re: Most underrated place in every state [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there's lots of great small towns and outdoor stuff in western ma in the pioneer valley and the Berkshires. You gotta go way past 495 though before its gets nice though.

^This. I went to college out that way in Westfield and there are plenty of nice little towns in the area, great running/riding options as well in addition to hiking in the Berkshires.

I actually prefer going to the Cape in the off-season when it's quieter and less populated. One underrated aspect of summer on the Cape is taking in a Cape Cod League baseball game though; great way to see some of the top collegiate/future major league talent up close.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Most underrated place in every state [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to college in Amherst so I was near Westfield. Saturday I'm going to williamstown in the northern berkshires. Too bad it's 2.5 hours from me or I'd be there a lot more often.
Quote Reply

Prev Next