Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes.
Quote | Reply
Giro Empires at 174.95 via Prime and you can have them by the weekend - can't link to the specific colors that are discounted. The orange and black versions had nearly every size discounted. The white don't appear to be discounted at all.

Biggest complaint people have had to me is that the Giro Empire SLX is too expensive. I have often suggested the LA84 as a cheaper alternative but for whatever reason people don't want a shoe from LG. I know the Giro shoe is an industry light light 170 grams but the $349.95 definitely is steep.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Apr 11, 17 8:25
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based on your blog post on the Empire; I made the switch over the winter and added Lock Laces from Nathans. Very happy with my decision. I was running the Tri Mele prior.

BK
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [Brandan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't made any modifications yet. I don't plan to do any flying mounts coming out of T1, so I'll likely leave them as it.

BK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spring time means new shoe and cleat time in our house! :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you testing pedals systems? What is the deal with different cleats?

My wife likes/prefers Speedplay and I've been a Look-man my whole cycling life! We try to keep as many people in the business happy within the family as possible!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Empire SLX in a couple different colors can also be purchased for $175 from performance bike with an additional 15% off taken in the cart. I picked up a white pair yesterday.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just received mine that bought in ebay a little cheaper than this.

Here you go: http://m.ebay.com/...fa7b95%257Ciid%253A3

http://m.ebay.com/...fa7b95%257Ciid%253A1
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [Jonny89] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [boostedcvc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boostedcvc wrote:
The Empire SLX in a couple different colors can also be purchased for $175 from performance bike with an additional 15% off taken in the cart. I picked up a white pair yesterday.

How did you get 15% in cart?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know there is now a bit of an under-ground cross-over applications for this shoe in triathlon as a tri-shoe, but speaking of it from a road rider/race perspective:

My sense is that it's one of those things that becomes a hard sell ounce in the store.

There is so much that makes sense about these shoes - super-light. Very comfortable (if a good fit for you) etc . .

But then customers see them in the stores, and compare them to other shoes at that price or close to it and they see all the flashy bells and whistles, and straps and dials, on other road shoes and they figure all that stuff is better, than a lace-up cycling shoe!

The Empires seem to be popular among a cohort of cyclists who, I would describe as hard-core veterans, who are in-the-know.

Consequently they don't become big sellers at retail at MSRP, and you see the deals, with them marked down substantially online and even in-store.

Last edited by: Fleck: Apr 11, 17 8:34
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [smartyiak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Must have been a 1-day promotion as I don't see the option today either.

Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [boostedcvc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boostedcvc wrote:
Must have been a 1-day promotion as I don't see the option today either.

Dang! Oh well, I'll just keep an eye out...it's Performance, so the 15% will come back shortly! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or Louis Garneau Milan for $40ish at Performance Bike. They are actually very comfortable shoes too and hard to beat if you want to test out Gerlach's theories on laces.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I have often suggested the LA84 as a cheaper alternative but for whatever reason people don't want a shoe from LG.

Why though? I have had LG Tri X Speeds for a couple of seasons now and absolutely love them. I am curious to know why there is a perception of anything but LG.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [harshc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
harshc wrote:
Quote:
I have often suggested the LA84 as a cheaper alternative but for whatever reason people don't want a shoe from LG.

Why though? I have had LG Tri X Speeds for a couple of seasons now and absolutely love them. I am curious to know why there is a perception of anything but LG.

I don't know but as Slowman made comment about bikes on the front page in regards to lionel I don't think LG is held necessarily in high regards in the US. I know the Canadians love it and are loyal to it. Confirmation basis / product psychology can be a really interesting phenom. I myself hadn't really known a lot about LG. Over the years I have learned more and more and come to respect their R&D efforts more and more. Their trisuit and P9 are two examples of outstanding products.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had anyone else tested these in the tunnel? Just wondering if others are seeing the same gains as Thomas.

Also, anyone switch from specialized road shoes or Shimano TR9? Wondering in terms of size, fit, comparison, etc

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
Had anyone else tested these in the tunnel? Just wondering if others are seeing the same gains as Thomas.

Also, anyone switch from specialized road shoes or Shimano TR9? Wondering in terms of size, fit, comparison, etc

Shortly after my own testing Specialized released the Sub6 which they tout as being aerodynamically superior thru their own testing. In addition, Wiggins or someone used them to set the hour record on the track. I hope that helps as additional +s

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do these shoes tend to fit? I've worn 43's and 44's in different brands and the all seem to fit different. I've never had giro before. I wear a 43.5 in a pair of specialized trivents that seem to work well. Any input?
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [jarret_g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jarret_g wrote:
How do these shoes tend to fit? I've worn 43's and 44's in different brands and the all seem to fit different. I've never had giro before. I wear a 43.5 in a pair of specialized trivents that seem to work well. Any input?

They are about the same sizing as Specialized and Pearl IMO, maybe just a smidge smaller if anything.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Giro Empires at 174.95 via Prime and you can have them by the weekend - can't link to the specific colors that are discounted. The orange and black versions had nearly every size discounted. The white don't appear to be discounted at all.

Biggest complaint people have had to me is that the Giro Empire SLX is too expensive. I have often suggested the LA84 as a cheaper alternative but for whatever reason people don't want a shoe from LG. I know the Giro shoe is an industry light light 170 grams but the $349.95 definitely is steep.

Is this shoe hot?
It has little mesh and no real venilation.

Has anyone raced and hot or hot and humid races?

How about peeing on the bike? Or dumping water on yourself? Does this shoe become a sloshfest?
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [test] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
test wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Is this shoe hot?
It has little mesh and no real venilation.

Has anyone raced and hot or hot and humid races?

How about peeing on the bike? Or dumping water on yourself? Does this shoe become a sloshfest?

I can't really say to sloshfest as I don't pee on the bike but I raced and trained in Cozumel for Ironman Cozumel 70.3. The shoe is totally fine IMO in regards to heat. The Aerohead helmet on the other hand was hot. Since I have the tongue removed I actually get some air flow across the shoe. The shoe does have hundreds of small dimples for air flow if those do anything. You could make an argument that since the shoe weighs 170 grams that there is less material to trap heat in the first place.

Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [jarret_g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear a size 48 in the Giro's as well as Shimano TR9's if that helps.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [dale3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dale3 wrote:
I wear a size 48 in the Giro's as well as Shimano TR9's if that helps.

I was also going to ask about sizing. I wear a 45 in the TR9 and was considering getting a pair of the Empires. How are they in terms of width? I had some Pearl Izumis that were very snug a few years back, but the TR9 feels much better for what my wife calls my 'fat' (wide) feet.

On a different note, what's the main difference (or differences) between the Empire SLX and the ACC - weight?? The ACC is currently $137 on Amazon.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Last edited by: natethomas: Apr 12, 17 4:59
Quote Reply

Prev Next