Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? April 10 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 10 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
goals for this week: 6 swims did 5, 2 bikes done!! haha!, day off from running done and very proud of myself for it

M: 11 mi run + 1200 yd swim
T: 7.5 mi run + 1500 yd swim
W: 9 mi run + 2200 yd swim
T: 8.5 mi run + 1200 yd swim
F: 7.8 mi run + 1800 yd swim
S: 12 mi bike
S: 7.2 mi run + 6 mi bike

Totals 7900 yd swim, 18 mi bike, 51 mi run

Had a pretty good week. I am having dinner with friends tonight and am looking forward to that. On Friday I fly to Salt Lake to spend just under a week with my brother, and my mom arrives Saturday night. :-)
goals for this week 5 swims, day off from running, 1 bike

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Except for the snow that is falling today (grrr) I had a great week.

Weight is down and I got in 5 runs. 2x15min, 2x30min & 1x45min.

This week I'm aiming for the same with the runs, hoping to add a little speed to the shorter runs. I'd like to get at least 2, maybe 3 rides in (likely just the trainer of this weather keeps up).

I hope everyone had a great week - your holiday sounds like fun TC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello! I hope everyone had a good week -- thanks for getting us started tigerchik.

Last week, I hit all my goals -- daily p/rehab, 2 days of strength, a swim, a run, a bike, a drive north, a little prep, and then a race! The race was the Lake Berryesea race being talked about on the main page. [note: a clarification on the article: the air temperature AT the lake as 37 not the temperature IN the lake which was 57-58] I did the 70.3 and it was cold, it was rainy, it was windy, and it was foggy. There were a lot of voluntarily and involuntarily DNFs due to the conditions and finishing times looked to be slower than last year (I compared the times of a few top people who raced both years).

My goal was "put together 3 solid segments and treat it like a big, hard brick to give me experience and confidence for the Santa Rosa 70.3 in May." I nailed this! While my overall time wasn't much faster than my first 70.3 it was a tough course and tough conditions -- I won my division and was on the overall podium. More importantly, my segments were consistent, I was safe and cautious in the weather, my nutrition worked, and my HR was reasonable, and other than never warming up I felt really good. We also had a really fun weekend in wine country once the weather cleared.

This week, I'm taking it easy. Nothing but relaxing yesterday, just rest and yoga for another day or two plus my daily p/rehab, then probably 2 strength sessions and some unscheduled swimming, biking, and running -- over the weekend I'll do a swim/bike brick and a bike/run brick. My plan is to use this confidence and momentum to get me ready for Santa Rosa next month.

Happy training womens -- I'm thinking of SLOgoing this week, so close to tax day!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 10 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on the successful execution AND the podium!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 10 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Scheherazade and Anna S, it was a good boost of confidence after my last Olympic -- avoiding the tri bike seems to be the secret.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a very poor week as far as cycling was concerned (only made it on the bike twice), but went to physio and then followed up at the gym 3 times. I was also in a Fire Educator course all weekend so came out of it feeling very enthused and full of ideas but EXHAUSTED from my brain working so hard. I managed for the most part to avoid all the pastries and things that just sat there for snacking - I tried one and it was terrible so that put me off trying anymore!

This week I want 4 rides; ideally a combination of indoor and outdoor but the weather is not looking good so they may all be indoor. Next Monday I leave for San Diego; any food/activity recommendations?

My front derailleur is rubbing in both granny gear AND what Dan calls "race gear" but what I call "cannot move the pedals in that gear" so I will probably have to drop off my bike for some love at the mechanic. I read through Zinn and can't find the answer (if I increase the tension to remove the rubbing in the hardest gear, it will cause more rubbing in the granny gear and vice versa). If you have any suggestions I will be grateful. On the bright side, I found some new cabling with red sheaths at the bike store so will be buying those and some red bar tape for when I re-cable :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yikes! Another week has gone by. Working like a mo-fo. I beat last week's billable hours! But, there is a light at the end of the tunnel and I might get to work less than 15 hours tomorrow (been doing 5am - 8pm). Sitting all day is very very bad. I'm evidence. Did you know that ankles get really fat just from sitting??

Gotta say, its been a rough one this year. One of our partners is out with a family crisis (all tax season), another partner's daughter died unexpectedly about 3 weeks ago (she was 20), and one of our rock star managers had a baby about a month early last week. We are all about family-first here, so the rest of us have been pulling their load but OY! What a lot of time it takes. Normally I can nail 6-10 hours of exercise a week. This year? Nope.

But, I did manage a few sessions.

Swim x1
Bike x2
Run x2

This week's goals:

Finish all tax returns
Bike x2
Swim x1
Run x3

Vacation next week! I'm so excited! DH and I are going across the south west on our motorcycles so I'm looking forward to some warm weather trail runs along the way. Then, the following week DH is headed to Canada for 3 weeks and I'll get to exercise as much as I want. Woot!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 10 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My goal was "put together 3 solid segments and treat it like a big, hard brick to give me experience and confidence for the Santa Rosa 70.3 in May." I nailed this! While my overall time wasn't much faster than my first 70.3 it was a tough course and tough conditions -- I won my division and was on the overall podium.

Nice! Congrats!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 10 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I might get to work less than 15 hours tomorrow (been doing 5am - 8pm).

I have no idea how you do it. You rock!

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Anna s: Apr 12, 17 23:50
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: How was your week? April 10 Edition [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Anna S, happy to share with the obvious caveat that while this worked well for me but it's only my second 70.3 and I am definitely not an expert.

PRE: Instant oatmeal with almond butter, coffee, water with Skratch.
SWIM: Pro Base bar before the swim, water.
BIKE: I made a bottle with 4 scoops of Hammer's Perpetuem that I sipped on during the ride. I didn't quite finish the bottle but estimate I drank 3+ scoops (at least 400+ calories, 75+ grams of carbs). I also ate a BonkBreaker (250 calories / 35 carbs) and less than 1/2 bag of Skratch Fruit Drops (40 calories, 10 carbs). I tired to put Skratch into my water bottle but ended up just dumping a small amount of dry Hydration mix into my mouth because my hands were too cold to be human (calories/carbs unknown).
RUN: I took a handheld of lukewarm warm water with 1 scoop of Perpetuem (135 calories, 25 carbs) which I sipped on during the run and used to keep my stupidly cold hands warm. I ate the remainder of my Fruit Chews (40 calories, 10 carbs) on the run and drank one small cup of Heed (which was at the Aid Station).

I carried Endurolytes, almond butter (to buffer all that sugar), and a ProBar just in case I needed more food/salt.

Hope that helps.

Also, I'm open to suggestions from veterans -- anything you'd add or change?

For reference, I rarely train with any fuel other than Skratch hydration mix, almond butter, and maybe a ProBar on a long rides. If I'm racing an open half marathon, I don't/can't eat anything so I do worry that at higher effort levels my nutrition may have to change (In this race, I was not hammering it -- the weather conditions made the bike slick and left my hands and feet pretty frozen on the run and my main goal was just to put together three consistent segments).

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 10 Edition [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
Can't believe you found time in your busy schedule to do sport - super SLO!

Have a lovely vacation, you really deserve the break. Hope the weather is perfect.

Haha. Ya just gotta not stop! No DNFs allowed during tax season.

And we are DONE! I love our firm - we commit to finishing early every year and this year I signed my last return at 5:07 pm on Friday, April 14th and walked to the tax party. Office is closed until Wednesday next week. What a crazy year!

I managed to squeeze in 60 minutes on the bike (TrainerRoad) at lunch yesterday and then drop the bike off at the shop so they could give it TLC while I'm on vaca. Looking forward to heading east to some warm weather (as if the California Central Coast isn't warm enough).

If anybody has any trail run suggestions near Lake Havasu City, AZ or Prescott, AZ or south rim of Grand Canyon, I'd love some pointers. Hubby and I want to squeeze in 3-4 trail runs on our journey. We're so dorky. 2 of us on motorcycles, pulling up to a trail head to go running. Oh well, its how we roll! I'm actually trying to figure out how to mount my bicycle to my motorcycle. I have a surfboard rack, so I should be able to mount a bike. If I figure it out I'll post pictures.

Thanks for all the support and encouragement, womens!!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply