Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Secondhand Dimond [getbarreled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find this thread amusing because the special treatment that Dimond gives the customers who buy new makes me MORE, not less likely to buy new from them.

After all, if I shell out all that cash, I LIKE the idea of getting "special" deals. It helps future proof my purchase with regards to new improvements. I think it is only fair that if they have difficulty meeting demand that they give preference to those who are paying the money that pays their bills.
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [helo guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been present when the LBS has put a Diamond together, you need that special treatment.
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [801pe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
801pe wrote:
I have been present when the LBS has put a Diamond together, you need that special treatment.

If there are frequent construction/design issues then that is a far more valid complaint than all the rest of this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [801pe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
801pe wrote:

Even I can put that bike together and I'm pretty terrible at that kind of thing. There is a bit of a knack to getting the beam on but other than that it's dead simple. (I bring the beam in at and angle to the bolt hole and then lower the seat end. It curls in nicely then) There isn't even any proprietary brakes or integrated stem to dick around with. Which bit was he struggling with?

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Last edited by: JayPeeWhy: Apr 9, 17 16:17
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This doesn't surprise me. I bought a second hand Dimond from a close friend of the company that arrived to me with the paint flaking and chipping off to the point where I couldn't tell if it was cracked or not. The bike was actually shipped from Dimond to me.

When I called them to get some assistance they also made it crystal clear that they had little to no interest in treating me as a current or future customer because I bought it used. I've bought quite a few bikes since then, but can't see myself buying a Dimond until the company and the product matures.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have only read to here in this thread and i dont really paln to read further so sorry if oyu already have a conclusion)
I would suggest you and brad get in contact and sort things out as i think you are not that far off.
it could be like you are paying 900 for the fork the pro closed said they would help you with and all would be good.
I think it would work out best for all three parties involved.

I see your frustration but I think Diomond did nothing wrong here at all. they made a mistake quating the wrong price you made a mistake buying the wrong bike, and pros closet made an mistake (good to see they are the ones standing over their mistake)

I dont think there was any need going public with this thread, i think you should have suggested the 900 earlier but its never to late ;-)

getbarreled wrote:
SBRcoffee wrote:
ericlambi wrote:
You know what, I have to apologize. I re-read the e-mail conversation I had with Brad and I misinterpreted what he said. Correct, he knew you bought the bike second hand. He made a mistake quoting the fork. He changed the price to the correct one when he realized the mistake. Sounds like he spent a fair bit of time trying to help you with the purchase of the second hand bike. Sorry it hasn't worked out, good luck.

This was what I was thinking after reading the first post.

OP - I didn't feel you were trying to be entitled, etc. But the bottom line is, whether by mistake, brain fart, whatever, you were quoted a price that seems to have been a mistake. As GMAN said, new owners (like myself) paid more to upgrade to the better fork (ie. upgrading to 'brilliant' instead of 'xcut'). If Dimond honors the 600 price, thats kind of offensive to their customers who bought new. Just my .02.

Sorry to hear you are returning the bike, they are pretty cool.

One question you haven't answered, just out of interest, what specifically was wrong with the original fork? In the pics on ebay, it looks like it should have no problem fitting a stem, even if without many/any spacers underneath. Was there some sort of damage to it?

Fair enough. I see it different and if Brad had made more effort to own his mistake, even if he still could not make $600 happen, I think he could have done more to try to just "be cool" about it. Not treat me like a burden to get rid of by saying he actually has no intent of ever selling a fork to a "non-customer."

I don't know how to attach a pic. The steerer was cut WAAAAYYYY too short. With crown race, headset, and lowest dust cap, there was maybe 1/4" of steerer left to get a stem on. Not safe in mine or the opinion of a variety of bike pros. Could have probably sold it to someone with a small or xsmall but I just got turned off pretty bad.

No one is more bummed than me. I have adored Dimond bikes since I first saw one. Ask anyone that knows me. I've often referred to it as "my dream bike!"
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks pk! I had thought through such a scenario and honestly, may have tried to make something like that work, had Brad taken the approach "hey man, I screwed up on that price and I can not sell it to you for that, but let's figure something out." Or anything else in that vain and I surely never would have been on slowtwitch complaining.

Of course if I was the sleaze that the Dimond attack dogs on here have painted me to be, I would have just hit up one of my Dimond owning friends and had them order me one. I chose instead to take the road I felt was best for all and I returned it to Pros Closet.

The upshot is that a Jimmy Seear at Ventum found this thread and called me. Feling bad about how things went down, he made me a phenomenal deal on a Ventum One. Jimmy took the approach that if you go out of your way for someone in a tough spot and treat them like you care, you'll win an evangelist for your brand. That he now has in me.

Salton Sea Triathlon Club
“I swim to get to the bike. I run because nobody gives a shit about aquabike.â€
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [chrisgrigsby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisgrigsby wrote:
This doesn't surprise me. I bought a second hand Dimond from a close friend of the company that arrived to me with the paint flaking and chipping off to the point where I couldn't tell if it was cracked or not. The bike was actually shipped from Dimond to me.

When I called them to get some assistance they also made it crystal clear that they had little to no interest in treating me as a current or future customer because I bought it used. I've bought quite a few bikes since then, but can't see myself buying a Dimond until the company and the product matures.

Thank you for sharing!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
getbarreled wrote:
The upshot is that a Jimmy Seear at Ventum found this thread and called me. Feling bad about how things went down, he made me a phenomenal deal on a Ventum One. Jimmy took the approach that if you go out of your way for someone in a tough spot and treat them like you care, you'll win an evangelist for your brand. That he now has in me.

Dimond has done that, you've seen their Dimond Mafia posting all over your thread! ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
getbarreled wrote:

Dimond has done that, you've seen their Dimond Mafia posting all over your thread! ;)

Haha, oh yeah.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The triathlon community is enriched by the entrepreneurial spirit of TJ, the Dimond team, and other innovative small businesses that are advancing the technology of this sport.

We all know it sucks to have something not work and be expensive to fix. We want companies to help us.

You just have to adjust your expectations when you are dealing with a small business that is struggling to stay profitable in a highly competitive non-growth business. I don't know what the Dimond finances look like, but I suspect they are challenged.

I don't own a Dimond, but I have met some of the guys at races. Good people. I did buy a Hen House and am happy to support them.

Taking a direct anonymous shot at a small business like this on a prominent message board should only be done when you have a flawless argument. Give these guys a break.
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get your points and I think they are valid.

As I have said repeatedly throughout this thread, much would've been different if they had just treated the situation differently. Treated me differently. When you're A small yet high-end brand like you're describing, the way you treat people matters all the more. If I had been treated better, regardless of mistakes in pricing, I wouldn't have been on here complaining. And I think there's been no anonymity. I emailed TJ directly about this exact situation. His response was lackluster and definitely implied that he also wasn't interested in taking the time to understand where I was coming from. Front to back, it felt like Dimond never gave a shit.

Jimmy at Ventum seized an opportunity by making me feel like he gave a shit.

I think there's a famous Maya Anjelou quote about all this.

Last edited by: getbarreled: Apr 14, 17 8:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trek has Carl. Cannondale, Rinard. Ventum, Sears. Specialized, Chris and Mark (and someone else?). Cervelo, Jakub. Felt, previously Dave (RIP - but now represents 3T well). TriRig, Nick. Etc.

Has Dimond ever had anyone spend any amount of time on ST (other than the Mafia)? Even larger brands appear to feel its important enough to interact with the community. I find the absence curious. Or maybe I've missed their presence?

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be an interesting analysis - how Dimond has gained such a "social media" (I'm including ST in this) foothold. Back when they were first emerging they basically contacted anyone who had placed maybe... top 5? age group in IM events and said "hey we'll give you a deal." Team Dimond was born. Then you have the mafia who jumps on any thread regarding Dimond (or even Ventum, which is sort of odd). So instead of engineers and brains behind the brand we get...JayPeeWhy, who got a deal and good customer service.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JayPeeWhy isn't sponsored? As in, given at least a bike.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to play devils advocate...

A good friend just had a near new cervelo P5 crack while using it on his trainer. Purchased new from a fairly large authorized dealer. Cervelo refused to warranty it because of mention of the trainer. They offered a crash replacement price instead (north of 1k).
If he were to come on here posting about Cervelo being a bunch of assholes, I'm guessing the 'Cervelo Mafia' would jump in, no?
I think the same would happen with any brand. But lets be honest, most folks like to pick on Dimond. It's a boutique brand, not everyone likes the look (fair enough), and not everyone can afford it. So they shit all over it instead.

Now that said, I do agree that they, and every company, should make an effort to be more active on here. Most companies could learn a lesson or two from 'Carl'.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
how Dimond has gained such a "social media" (I'm including ST in this) foothold.

Also because Jesse Thomas. Because TJ Tollakson. Because Jordan Rapp. Because Smashfest Queen.

The cool kids ride Dimond and so it's very cool to like and violently defend Dimond, even as quality and customer service concerns with the product/company persist on this forum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought I posted this earlier, but don't see it, so here goes again.

When you say the steerer tube was cut too short do you mean it is too short for you to adjust to fit you, or that it is too short to safely fit a stem on it?

If the former, then that's on you and you are responsible. If the latter, then it I'd start putting your blame on the seller, not Dimond.
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [treyedr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steerer was cut too short to safely put a stem on at all even with the worlds lowest dust cap and no spacer.

It was completely an issue for the seller to deal with and they did by returning the bike and all is fine today. My issue was never once that it was the responsibility of Dimond to replace it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread reminds me of an article I once read, that found that malpractice suits had much more to do with "bedside manner" than they did with actual mistakes by the MD.
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 The obvious difference being that no one here is looking to force anyone into compliance or recompense.

Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
Just to play devils advocate...

A good friend just had a near new cervelo P5 crack while using it on his trainer. Purchased new from a fairly large authorized dealer. Cervelo refused to warranty it because of mention of the trainer. They offered a crash replacement price instead (north of 1k).
If he were to come on here posting about Cervelo being a bunch of assholes, I'm guessing the 'Cervelo Mafia' would jump in, no?
I think the same would happen with any brand. But lets be honest, most folks like to pick on Dimond. It's a boutique brand, not everyone likes the look (fair enough), and not everyone can afford it. So they shit all over it instead.

Now that said, I do agree that they, and every company, should make an effort to be more active on here. Most companies could learn a lesson or two from 'Carl'.

I don't disagree, I'd be upset at Cervelo in this context as well. But to be honest, a "crash replacement" cost of a P5 frameset would probably be $3000+. So, if it's just "north of $1k" that's actually pretty incredible. But, I'd still hope it was replaced under warranty. Unless I didn't believe my friend knew how to install bikes in trainers.
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [chrisgrigsby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^^
This happened more than people think...
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [bikecritic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bikecritic wrote:
^^^
This happened more than people think...

What specifically?
To be more specific re my previous post, -I- used the term 'crash replacement'. I'm honestly not sure what they were calling the 'deal', all I know is he broke a near new frame on kickr only use, and he has to pay about 1300 for a replacement.
If he had crashed, that would be a good deal. But he didn't, and shouldnt have to pay a penny IMHO.
Quote Reply

Prev Next