Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
April Fish! Swim Challenge
Quote | Reply
Happy April. The challenge of swim 4x a week seems to be working - have at it.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish! Swim Challenge [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6 mi run w/ 2.6 mi @ 7:14 pace, a couple tenths easy, then 1 mi 7:09
2000 yd swim at the Albany, OR ymca

500 swim + 100 kick
5 x 100 on 1:30 + 100 kick
500 swim + 100 kick
200 swim

then goofed around in the "channel", a sort of figure 8 with a fun current. Unfortunately the water slide was not open. The pools were warm but the channel was neat :-) really nice facility - it's almost brand new.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had goofy end-of-month swims, just floating and bobbing, more-or-less with the pod in the ocean. Many Portage passings and a visit to the Giggle Crack - a one entrance crack where the wash slosh in and out of. It's much like, I think, being in a washing machine.We stuffed 3 of us in there. I think we could fit ten in there, but someone is gonna get banged up on the rocks, then. So much fun!

So, this April One, surprisingly returned me to more serious swimming. Although I didn't really push as I have a swim meet tomorrow (1650). But, I got in 3527 yards in 40 minutes at Shaw's.

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/...3454&oe=599181FF

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/...5038&oe=59996BB6

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim Meet today at UCLA SCY

1650 20:09.23 1st place and 3rd in nation
200 free 2:09.67 1st place and 15th in nation
200 breast 2:42.63 1st place and 7th in nation

I bagged out of the 200 IM which would have come up too close to the 1650.
Some warm-up and cool down for about 2500 yards.

Quote Reply
Re: April Fish! Swim Challenge [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great times, congrats!

3500 SCM this morning

300 choice
6x50 descend 1-3, 4-6
3x200 pull
4 x (
100 IM - 30s RI
4x25 fly fast - 30s RI
100 ez
4x50 free fast - 30s RI)
300 cd
Quote Reply
Re: April Fish! Swim Challenge [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2800 at masters last night.

main set was 3x(5x50) on 1:05 - plenty of rest, doing it as
3x(
fast breakout and first 3 strokes
fast in and out of turn
fast finish
distance per stroke
focus on breathing pattern.
)

coach noticed that my wicked crossover on my right arm is back, so I worked on that for a while.

DPS I could only get down to 15 strokes per length. When I was in better shape I was easily at 11 strokes, if I wanted. need to get fitter...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awesome!

yesterday 5 mi easy run, 6 mi bike
today 11 mi run, 1200 yd swim

500 swim
100 kick
5 x 100 on 1:30
100 kick

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This came up on my facebook feed:

https://www.facebook.com/...sts/1448868325180533

Since this is a tri forum, I was thinking that a challenge might be a half IM leg worth of IM without stopping.....so basically

9 times 200 IM and then one 100 IM

The advanced version would be an Ironman leg worth.

so 19x200m IM

Who wants to try that?

I will start tomorrow with 1000m of that. Should be a lot easier than 1000m of 50 fly-50 free that i did last week. I actually suck at breast and back so this might be someething to focus on this month and then at the end of the month try the 1000m TT 50fly/50Free again and try to take it under 18

Quote Reply
Re: April Fish! Swim Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was talking to Zach Ruble after the 2007 Ironman Wisconsin and we were talking about over the top workouts. He mentioned that he had done a 4,000 IM! The 12,000 IM which is mentioned in that link, now that is a HUGE set!!

As far as the 2 sets you mentioned, for those of us swimming SCY, would 10 x 200 + 100 for the half iron set and 21 x 200 for the iron set be a fair conversion? I know in the yard pools there are more turns so it will always be apples and oranges. Approximately how much rest should we be including in our sendoffs?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: April Fish! Swim Challenge [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
kbd wrote:
Approximately how much rest should we be including in our sendoffs?

This is a Dev super challenge! We don't get any rest or sendoffs, it's just swim and survive :-D

LOL my breast is so bad, that I can't work "hard enough" to warrant rest, so I guess it is continuous for me since that leg works out to 50m of rest!!!! I think KBD's conversions are good!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Anna s wrote:
kbd wrote:
Approximately how much rest should we be including in our sendoffs?

This is a Dev super challenge! We don't get any rest or sendoffs, it's just swim and survive :-D

LOL my breast is so bad, that I can't work "hard enough" to warrant rest, so I guess it is continuous for me since that leg works out to 50m of rest!!!! I think KBD's conversions are good!

Same here Dev! As of tomorrow I get to swim in an outside, heated, stainless steal, 50m pool - should make the 50/50 interesting! Btw I did 100m 50/50 and my time was 1.29. This makes me think I should easily be able to do 6.40 for 400m by the end of the month, with each 100m being 1.40. What do think?

6:40 seems to be in your range. I say go for it. If I were you, I'd frequently add one set of 400m continuous at a moderate pace (you know I would say that), and take the free "hard" (which is your strength anyway), and figure out how to recover on the butterfly leg (which is your old strength, so this will basically force you to enter each fly leg full of lactate and then clear the lactate during the fly to go hard in the free). We used to do something like this cross country skiing, where you actually recovered on the first part of the climb when everyone was attacking, sit in and draft and let them burn matches, and then just before the top, when everyone is rubber you go on the attack and break the guys who are bogged down in lactate. I THINK if you can hold a good pace on the fly and manage to clear lactate, then you can make up a lot of time on the free. I believe this is the best way to go fast on this. There is just so much resistance in the fly leg, that incremental effort does not buy a ton of speed. Whereas in free, incremental effort can add a lot more speed. In IM you can have the back and/or breast leg to clear some lactate before the free leg and attack that. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick 1300 SCM lunch swim with a bunch of sprint 25s, some fly, some free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7.5 mi run: 2.6 mi @ 8:00 pace, .4 easy, 3.1 mi @ 7:53 pace
1500 yd swim

5 x 100 on 1:30
100 kick
5 x 150 on 2:15
100 kick
50 c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
Yes you are right Dev I should be incorporating this into my swimming. I'll give the "recovery fly" 50 a go and report back, I just can't imagine doing this and keeping good form. What I did notice when I did the 100 is that I have more power in my arms than I thought I had and I need to concentrate on my catch more and tucking my head down quicker.

In today's 60 min swim, the main set was 1000m modified IM, 100m kick, 500m fly-free 50/50

The 1000m was 5x(50fly-50back-100 free). For whatever reason breast was bothering my collar bone, during my warmup so I decided to not push it. I THINK doing some breast on Sunday with large paddles I may have tweaked something. I was pain free on the other strokes. This was an experiment to see if I can get to 1900m of IM. Assuming I did nothing bad, it should be possible. The 500m fly-free, I took the fly steady moderate and the free, really hard. That was interesting. What I found was that if I slowed down the fly cadence and as you said, "tucked my head and dove in" and "rode the wave" then I could clear some lactate. I did not time any of this mainly because I am an idiot when the clock turns on and I go harder than I need to/want to whenever there is a number staring at me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that's a lot of work!
I only did another open water swim this morning. 2785 yards in 38 minutes. 60 degree water and wetsuit (I'm the wimpy one as the others go just skin.)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
Wow, that's a lot of work!
I only did another open water swim this morning. 2785 yards in 38 minutes. 60 degree water and wetsuit (I'm the wimpy one as the others go just skin.)

Hopefully your fingers were not frozen after the swim and you did not flat riding home like Frodo in Oceanside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Hopefully your fingers were not frozen after the swim and you did not flat riding home like Frodo in Oceanside!

60 degrees in a wetsuit is really comfy for me. If I had the time, I could stay out there for double, at the least. This morning was also 60. I did some extra credit by first going to the buoy instead of straight out to the point. Then the 15 minute swim to Seal Rock, twice around it then back to the buoy and in. 3,041 yards in 37:04.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
9 mi run w/ 2 mi 15:28 and 2 x 1 mi 7:35, 7:30
2200 yd swim

800 w/u
50 kick
6 x [100 fast + 100 easy] 1:12s
3 x 50 c/d kick, swim, kick

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Getting quicker.

Main set

3x50 fast on 1:10 (32, 33, 34)
100ez
8x25 sprinters delight
100ez
8x25 (uw , ez, dps, build)
10ez
3x50 fast on 1:10 (33, 33, 33)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Last edited by: Anna s: Apr 6, 17 22:17
Quote | Reply
I followed yesterdays ocean swim with a lunchtime pool swim in the Sloshbucket.
2000 yards as
500 6:14
4x100kwf all strokes
100s
5x50 scull/br pulls
5x50 alt br/fr hard
500s cool

Then back to the ocean for Dusk Patrol swim at Shaw's Cove. This time, though I cruised half of it (out to Seal Rock) doing backstroke. 2700 yards in 39 minutes

This AM had me back again at Shaw's for Dawn Patrol. It was a really high tide making getting to our "locker room" a strategically timed dash. The tide also brought sub-60 degree water into the cove. Not a problem in my wetsuit, but the skins swimmers suffered a bit. 3400 yards in 40 minutes.

On another note, Howard found a black bikini bottom that had embroidered a particular local high school & "Water Polo" across the butt. How cute the girls have team bikinis. So, the night before might have been either very tragic or a lot of fun for someone. (Or probably just fell out of their bag after changing and leaving the beach.)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
4500m today

9x500 as follows:
500 free
500 pull with buoy/paddles
500 50/50 fly/crawl had to resort to fly drill after the first 100 - 2x single arm each side, x3 full fly strokes, better than nothing!
500 pull
500 2x200 IM +100 IM - fly felt much better here
500 pull
500 as 5x100 with 25 fly 75 free. On the first 100 first leg was fly, on second 100 second leg was fly and so on....
500 pull
500 25 kick 75 easy pull

Now eating lots and drinking coffee :-)

Edited to say: Jason reading your fly tips for Zenmaster really helped me with my fly today! Keeping arms shoulder width apart and a pulling back to my hips. For some reason I felt like I was entering with my hands too far apart and was trying to get them closer. Your comment reinforced I should just keep with what my arms are doing naturally - well, when entering the water, I'm sure the rest of the stroke needs lots of tweaks.

It looks like you really had a good swim. I detect someone is aiming for the 3800m of Individual Medley.....just don't do it at IM Roth.

For whatever reason breast stroke is bothering my left collar bone but I have no limitations elsewhere.

So today 60 min pretty well continuous swim. First 30 min was random lengths of free, back stroke, kicking on side, kicking on back (lots of that) and fly-breast (one stroke fly connected to one stroke breast).

Then main set was 1000m as 5x200m (50fly-50back-100 free), then 100m kick and ending with 400m 50fly/50free in 7:14 then a short cool down

I took the back stroke of the 1000m above hard and tried to work on many of the items people around here gave me input on...immediately after the back I tried to push the free hard and then tried to 'recover' on the fly (if that's even possible, but you know what I mean). My legs were killing me at the end of each back stroke leg. At the end, I thought the 400m 50/50 would be "faster" but I think at the end of 1 hour, going pretty hard, I was kind of out of gas. I followed Jason's advice on shoulder length hand entry for fly and trying to go wider on entry in back....both were very helpful.
Quote Reply

Prev Next