Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

OK Police Shooting Officer appears on 60 Minutes before Trial
Quote | Reply
You likely recall the shooting of an unarmed black man by an OK police officer. This was the guy who stopped his SUV in the middle of the road and was "wandering" around. She claims he was non-responsive to her commands, kept putting his hands in his pocket, and kept trying to move back towards his vehicle. She shot him as he was walking away.

She appeared on 60 Minutes last night. Had a plausible explanation. But, what I found more telling was that she appeared on 60 Minutes. She goes to trial on May 8. Appearing on tv before trial is a huge gamble. Obviously, her attorney is hoping to influence potential jurors. Risky move. It will be interesting to see how jury selection goes.

https://www.yahoo.com/...k-man-153303767.html

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: OK Police Shooting Officer appears on 60 Minutes before Trial [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watched it as well. I thought it was pretty compelling. The juxtaposition of the officers account and the sisters perceptions of things I don't know what to say really. There is obviously a big gulf between the two points of view. Police video from car cams and helicopter and it still isn't clear what happened.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: OK Police Shooting Officer appears on 60 Minutes before Trial [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's okay... no one watches 60 Minutes these days.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just my opinion (and I don't really know the facts of this case too well) but I don't think that this statement will help her and might even hurt her. Sounds callous.

"I have sorrow that this happened, that this man lost his life, but he caused the situation to occur. So in the end, he caused his own (death)," she said.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: OK Police Shooting Officer appears on 60 Minutes before Trial [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Watched it as well. I thought it was pretty compelling. The juxtaposition of the officers account and the sisters perceptions of things I don't know what to say really. There is obviously a big gulf between the two points of view. Police video from car cams and helicopter and it still isn't clear what happened.

That is the most surprising aspect of the case and, IMO, why it is going to trial. The video absolutely can be seen both ways. If it provided a clearer picture, IMO, we would either have (1) no charges or (2) a plea deal. But, the lack of clarity is what will send this thing to a jury.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: OK Police Shooting Officer appears on 60 Minutes before Trial [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Just my opinion (and I don't really know the facts of this case too well) but I don't think that this statement will help her and might even hurt her. Sounds callous.

"I have sorrow that this happened, that this man lost his life, but he caused the situation to occur. So in the end, he caused his own (death)," she said.

Your perception is EXACTLY why I, if I was her attorney, would not let her go on the show. It is statements like this that can absolutely be seen both ways. If I was the prosecutor, I would use that sound bite (and video clip) at the trial. It absolutely can be spun both ways.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
len wrote:

That is the most surprising aspect of the case and, IMO, why it is going to trial. The video absolutely can be seen both ways. If it provided a clearer picture, IMO, we would either have (1) no charges or (2) a plea deal. But, the lack of clarity is what will send this thing to a jury.

this is exactly why many cops fight against body cameras.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: OK Police Shooting Officer appears on 60 Minutes before Trial [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
len wrote:

I'm not sure I agree. I understand your point. But, if she had her body camera on, it may have revealed what she claims. With a clear picture like that, there are no charges. It certainly cuts both ways.

Now, that being said, would you want all you dealings to be recorded? Understand, I am NOT against body cams, but I certainly understand the resistance to them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
but if things arent as she claims, then she may be able to sow doubt in a jury. cops tend to get the benefit of the doubt in court, so its a good bet to reject body cams.

no i wouldnt want all my dealings recorded. but if i were in a position where i may have to shoot someone, i would welcome cameras. if im truly acting in self defense or the defense of another, i want all i can to prove that.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
len wrote:

I'm not sure I agree. I understand your point. But, if she had her body camera on, it may have revealed what she claims. With a clear picture like that, there are no charges. It certainly cuts both ways.

Now, that being said, would you want all you dealings to be recorded? Understand, I am NOT against body cams, but I certainly understand the resistance to them.

I don't recall hearing any, does any of the footage have clear audio?

I can't imagine letting a client go on TV and giving an interview. The chance of a positive influence is tiny and the damage from a misstep would be so huge. Geex that is a big gamble.

I'm not sure what the answer is. I understand how the police view these situation but too often incompetent or impaired people get shot when they don't respond the way the police want them to. I don't want cops being shot but it seems like we need them to see more before they shoot.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: OK Police Shooting Officer appears on 60 Minutes before Trial [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only audio is from the helicopter. You can hear the pilot and the passenger talking, but not what is going on down below. The passenger says, "that looks like one bad dude," or words to that effect. One of the guys interviewed last night said this comment was only made b/c the guy was black. The pilot in the helicopter, who you can also hear, is the husband of Betty Shelby (the officer who did the shooting). He is NOT the one who said "that looks like one bad dude." That was the passenger.

More here: http://heavy.com/...-video-latest-david/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couldn't it be used to weed out potential jurors? Did you see the show on 60 minutes? Yes. Strike.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: OK Police Shooting Officer appears on 60 Minutes before Trial [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
len wrote:

Not really, at least it's not a wide spread perception. IME (as a 17 year police detective who investigates homicides, sex crimes and officer involved shootings), the majority of cops welcome cameras and the small percentage who don't recognize the inevitability of their use. The only negative I see is logistical - the amount of video created on a daily basis at a mid to large size agency is staggering. My agency requires patrol cops to use Taser body cams, which are essentially free from Taser, who also supplies the cloud storage, which is where the real money lies.

I've not used a body cam as a patrol cop. They weren't widely used when I last wore a uniform to work. But, when I was a newish cop in the early 00s, we had dash cams and body mics. I remember very well a violent confrontation with three African American teenage males and their pit bull at a city park. The kids were waving around a (fake, but realistic gun) and were jerks when confronted by cops. The dog got pepper sprayed (high effective) and two of the three kids got taken down hard. The mom of two of the three rushed to the PD and demanded to file a use of force and racism complaint and threatened a civil right law suit. She was invited to watch the entire dash cam video. She declined and promptly left, with no complaints filed. So, my experience with cams is quite positive. And as an investigator, the evidence can be definitive.

My agency: http://kdvr.com/...ins-police-shooting/

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Last edited by: just jack: Apr 3, 17 12:00
Quote Reply
Re: OK Police Shooting Officer appears on 60 Minutes before Trial [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Couldn't it be used to weed out potential jurors? Did you see the show on 60 minutes? Yes. Strike.

Sure, but how does that help you? Many of those people may be sympathetic to her. In addition, that would not be enough to challenge for cause.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not Guilty.

Quote:
At least four of the 12 jurors were crying as they left the courtroom and did not look at either the family of Crutcher or Shelby. The jury comprised eight women and four men and included three African-Americans...

Shelby said she fired her weapon out of fear because she said Crutcher didn't obey her commands to lie on the ground and appeared to reach inside his SUV for what she thought was a gun. Crutcher was unarmed.

Prosecutors told jurors that Shelby overreacted. They noted Crutcher had his hands in the air and wasn't combative — part of which was confirmed by police video taken from a dashboard camera and helicopter that showed Crutcher walking away from Shelby, hands held above his head.

Shelby's attorneys argued that in the two minutes before cameras began recording the encounter, Shelby repeatedly ordered Crutcher to stop walking away from her and get on the ground.

Shelby also said she feared Crutcher was under the influence of PCP, a powerful hallucinogenic known as Angel Dust that makes users erratic, unpredictable and combative.

An autopsy showed PCP was in Crutcher's system, and police said they found a vial of it in his SUV.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: May 18, 17 6:20
Quote Reply
Re: OK Police Shooting Officer appears on 60 Minutes before Trial [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cases like this may cause one to wonder if the law that allows this sort of thing is in need of revision.
Quote Reply
Re: OK Police Shooting Officer appears on 60 Minutes before Trial [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not too surprising. I still think it was a huge mistake to go on 60 minutes. I've been very slightly following this case and figured it would turn on the PCP. Large man on PCP in confronting a smaller woman and you are going to get a number of jurors to believe she truly feared for her safety.

Quote Reply