Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin FR935 release [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsmoylan wrote:
I love new gadgets, but this looks like a POS. A "plastic" version of the Fenix 5? This is no upgrade from the 920, imo.

Agreed, Why would you buy this and not the Fenix? If you want small, there is the 5s. Given the price the F5 just looks so much better. The only thing I can think of is the bike quick release, but I wouldnt be surprised if the f5 gets this down the line.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [srshaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
srshaw wrote:
Agreed, Why would you buy this and not the Fenix? If you want small, there is the 5s. Given the price the F5 just looks so much better. The only thing I can think of is the bike quick release, but I wouldnt be surprised if the f5 gets this down the line.
-Almost half of the weight as the Fenix 5 (and I don't want to go to a screen as small as the 5s).
-Wifi sync without having to pay for sapphire on the F5.
-As you mentioned, QR (and I wouldn't be surprised if Garmin doesn't do a QR for the F5, precisely to distinguish between the watches).

I have exactly the opposite reaction as you: I can't imagine why a triathlete would opt for the F5 over the 935.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I like it. I would like to daily wear my 920xt but it's big, bulky, blue and square.

This looks to be nicely understated, lower profile than the F5, lighter weight and $100 cheaper. Fits my needs (ok, wants) well.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [Blainedh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm upgrading because my 920 has died and I will sell the warranty replacement when it arrives, otherwise I would have just kept my 920. There aren't enough differences between the 920 and 930 to warrant a upgrade for most people I'd imagine.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the big difference is the form factor. Still yet to get my head around the round shape. Hard to see if the 4 data fields on a round screen are as clear as 4 on the square 920. That'll probably be the key factor for me. I have enough problems with 4 fields on the 920 with my aged eyes but manage well enough.

At the moment as long as my 920 works, I'll probably stick with it. I might even pick up a spare to put away until my current one dies. Garmin are clearly going down the path of chucking everything they can at a watch in an attempt to be all things to all people. And that path tends to leave to mediocrity - jack of all trades, master of none.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [proftri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
proftri wrote:
srshaw wrote:

-Almost half of the weight as the Fenix 5 (and I don't want to go to a screen as small as the 5s).
-Wifi sync without having to pay for sapphire on the F5.
-As you mentioned, QR (and I wouldn't be surprised if Garmin doesn't do a QR for the F5, precisely to distinguish between the watches).

I have exactly the opposite reaction as you: I can't imagine why a triathlete would opt for the F5 over the 935.

Simple, a lot of people have day jobs and are professionals first and triathletes second. If you want a watch that you can wear all day in a professional / semi-formal setting that you could also train in then there's really no contest in terms of aesthetics. If you look at closeups side-by-side the 935 looks a cheap toy next to the F5.

If you only want a device for training / racing and don't care about the aesthetics then I agree the 935 is a no brainer. Both markets are sizable enough that Garmin went through the hassle to create two separate products so it shouldn't be that surprising to people that shockingly other people have different product preferences.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:
Simple, a lot of people have day jobs and are professionals first and triathletes second. If you want a watch that you can wear all day in a professional / semi-formal setting that you could also train in then there's really no contest in terms of aesthetics. If you look at closeups side-by-side the 935 looks a cheap toy next to the F5.
Well, I've been wearing the 920xt for the last 2.5 years in a professional/semi-formal setting without any repercussions. The 935 is a step up in aesthetics for me. :) But I do agree: to each their own.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's unfortunate to me that people still buy into the thinking of what a watch is supposed to look like. I don't understand the thought that the Fenix 5 somehow looks better than the 935 simply because it looks more like a Rolex. Personally, I think the Apple watch is by far the most beautiful watch there is. Beauty in simplicity, but I guess generations of opinions don't change over night.

The biggest dealbreaker for me is no music support. They already have bluetooth support, and adding an audio player to the watch should be as easy as including a audio library. Just about everyone I know still carrier their phone because that's the only way to listen to music. Yes the apple watch is beautiful, but Garmin really nailed battery life. There's more than enough battery life to go around to sacrifice a little bit to stream bluetooth audio.

For me, the perfect watch is: Long battery life, music, and an accurate HR monitor. Until then, everything is just a work-in-progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [srshaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
srshaw wrote:
rsmoylan wrote:
I love new gadgets, but this looks like a POS. A "plastic" version of the Fenix 5? This is no upgrade from the 920, imo.

My BF wanted a new Garmin for his birthday last December but decided to wait to get his gift until the new releases came out. We compared all the features of the Fenix 5 series with the 935 tonight and he opted for the 935. It came down to him wanting WiFi but not wanting to spend the extra $200 for the Fenix Sapphire series to get WiFi since he's only planning to use the watch for training (so now he'll get another present to make up the price difference). I, on the other hand, am looking down at the Fenix 3 HR that I wear all day every day and longing for the Fenix 5 Sapphire. If I were buying for me I'd have spent the extra $200. Everyone has different priorities, I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [krez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm getting one of these once they actually ship one. It was a Kickstarter, first shipments supposed to be May I believe. Plays Spotify music.

https://bemighty.com

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
krez wrote:
It's unfortunate to me that people still buy into the thinking of what a watch is supposed to look like. I don't understand the thought that the Fenix 5 somehow looks better than the 935 simply because it looks more like a Rolex. Personally, I think the Apple watch is by far the most beautiful watch there is. Beauty in simplicity, but I guess generations of opinions don't change over night.

The biggest dealbreaker for me is no music support. They already have bluetooth support, and adding an audio player to the watch should be as easy as including a audio library. Just about everyone I know still carrier their phone because that's the only way to listen to music. Yes the apple watch is beautiful, but Garmin really nailed battery life. There's more than enough battery life to go around to sacrifice a little bit to stream bluetooth audio.

For me, the perfect watch is: Long battery life, music, and an accurate HR monitor. Until then, everything is just a work-in-progress.

Yeah totally agree with you re the audio. Why not add that feature? They've missed a trick. I don't think a company can rest on its laurels and just assume they have a monopoly on the market and that's the way it will remain.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
I don't think a company can rest on its laurels and just assume they have a monopoly on the market and that's the way it will remain.

Garmin don't have a monopoly in the market, unless I've missed something - which given my past record is very likely! They might be the dominant player, but that's not quite the same.

Is it that easy to include a music player with bluetooth connection to earphones, storage for said music, ANT+connection to ancillary items, and still have good battery life for GPS tracking and other performance metrics? Never mind the processing capacity. And all in a wrist-worn device? I guess the answer is yes, maybe - https://www.amazon.com/...eywords=iphone+wrist

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Last edited by: PhilipShambrook: Mar 29, 17 20:27
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should buy a Zinger sowing machine while you're at it:)

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That looks incredible. Thanks for linking it! Definitely buying one.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [Iron Dukie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out of curiousity, why does he want wifi so badly? I'm a software engineer, and in my opinion, Bluetooth is better in every way. Wifi might be slightly faster, but Bluetooth allows you to sync with your phone which works everywhere. Connecting once via bluetooth is better than connecting to several different wifi networks or not connecting at all if you're at a hotel for example. In fact, I feel like it's a step backwards to include wifi on a device since it takes extra engineering effort to maintain. But again, I'm curious about your usage, so I apologize for the fairly strong tech opinions.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [sachems_88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's remarkable to me how this seems like such a small incremental upgrade to the 920XT.
The 920 pretty much meets or exceeds all of my expectations as is; I wish the contrast of the display made it easier to see and I guess the wrist HRM is nice.
I also own an iPhone 6 - but see no truly valuable benefit in the iPhone 7.
Along these lines, the Macbook Pro upgrade was something I was truly looking forward to. But with the removal of the various ports you actually need to use adapters for things as simple as a USB mouse or memory card. WTF?
Similarly, I don't see the real benefit in disc brakes on a tri bike - in fact, they seem like a step back (more weight and complexity, need to buy new wheelsets).

Maybe something changes when you turn 50.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PhilipShambrook wrote:
Is it that easy to include a music player with bluetooth connection to earphones, storage for said music, ANT+connection to ancillary items, and still have good battery life for GPS tracking and other performance metrics? Never mind the processing capacity. And all in a wrist-worn device? I guess the answer is yes, maybe - https://www.amazon.com/...eywords=iphone+wrist

Yes. Motorola did it 5+ years ago. Garmin should have no trouble with this at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one thing i would like an answer to:
Can i before saving a workout, being swimming and especially running edit the distance i have run/swam? Even a 5k run on treadmill get such a wrong value thati have to sit and edit once uploaded!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:
It's remarkable to me how this seems like such a small incremental upgrade to the 920XT.

Indeed, well there's basically zero new features in the watch itself, which is why we've had two pages of people babbling on about square vs round screens.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure that's quite true. There's a shed loads of new features, but hardly any of them adds anything to using it as a triathlon watch. Golf swing? Music controls? Ability to count the numbers of floors climbed?

Sure there's some good stuff been added, but do they actually add anything of use other than the ability to have even more data to look at and work out if it's of any use?

It's a cheap version of the Fenix 5. You can't blame Garmin from wanting to standardise the design and code base.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
twain wrote:

Indeed, well there's basically zero new features in the watch itself, which is why we've had two pages of people babbling on about square vs round screens.
Except, of course, for the optical HR. That's hardly a "small incremental upgrade" from the 920XT. People may differ on how important it is to them to have optical HR, but I suspect it's been a pretty significant engineering challenge for Garmin to get it working reliably (and it seems still to be a work in progress).
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [proftri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
proftri wrote:
Except, of course, for the optical HR. That's hardly a "small incremental upgrade" from the 920XT. People may differ on how important it is to them to have optical HR, but I suspect it's been a pretty significant engineering challenge for Garmin to get it working reliably (and it seems still to be a work in progress).

True, that's a fair point.

The other new "features" are just guff that most people will end up ignoring after the first week; and aren't most of those on the latest 920XT firmware as it is? I gather the fenix 3 can monitor Floors Climbed and all that crap but I never bother using it.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I'm 31 and feel EXACTLY the same.. 920XT, iPhone6, MPB (mostly adjusted to no SuperDrive, but not ready to give up USB), disc brakes..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
krez wrote:
Out of curiousity, why does he want wifi so badly? I'm a software engineer, and in my opinion, Bluetooth is better in every way. Wifi might be slightly faster, but Bluetooth allows you to sync with your phone which works everywhere. Connecting once via bluetooth is better than connecting to several different wifi networks or not connecting at all if you're at a hotel for example. In fact, I feel like it's a step backwards to include wifi on a device since it takes extra engineering effort to maintain. But again, I'm curious about your usage, so I apologize for the fairly strong tech opinions.

That's a great question. He didn't say specifically why he wants WiFi, but I'd guess it's because of all the frustration he's seen me deal with when using bluetooth to sync with the Garmin iphone app, especially when syncing running workouts. After all of my workouts I tend to launch the Garmin app on my phone to sync the workout right after the workout is saved on my watch, and over 80% of the time I get an error message when trying to sync a run workout and inevitably I wind up having to turn off my phone and then restart it and then relaunch the Garmin app in order to get the workout to sync via bluetooth, and even then it always takes 5+ minutes for run workouts to sync even when they are files for short runs that don't have a ton of data. Long run files often take over 10 minutes to sync even after I've gone through the ordeal of turning off my phone and turning it back on again. My BF is probably sick of hearing me complain about this, and he may have been drawn to DC Rainmaker's feedback about the WiFi syncing being automatic and instantaneous, if I had to guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriselam wrote:
I'm getting one of these once they actually ship one. It was a Kickstarter, first shipments supposed to be May I believe. Plays Spotify music.

https://bemighty.com

It's twice the price but there's also Delphin which is the same idea, but waterproof and with a touch screen to actually see what you're doing.

The interface on Mighty wouldn't bother me that much though since it's just a copy of a iPod shuffle, I've been using waterproof shuffles for 5+ years now and never had much of an issue.
Quote Reply

Prev Next