Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What TT bikes don't fit 25mm wide wheels?
Quote | Reply
So, I just happened to get some 25mm wide race wheels (USE 8.0s) at a really good deal. However, I was just wondering if there are any TT bikes out there that won't take 25mm wide wheels? As I am in the market for a new TT bike, but just want to make sure there are no issues with them fitting my wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: What TT bikes don't fit 25mm wide wheels? [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, ones that take disc wheels and................ :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll go ahead and assume that all new TT bikes can handle 25mm wheels. Now the tire clearance could cause issues depending. I am running 25mm conti GP4000 tires on rear Jet6+ wheel and it balloons out a lot but I still have clearance on my Felt DA.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: What TT bikes don't fit 25mm wide wheels? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I might be a bike noob, but i could barely fit 23mm on my felt B14. It might be that i just have to change some settings but it does seem very narrow.
Quote Reply
Re: What TT bikes don't fit 25mm wide wheels? [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it hitting your brake pads or your frame? I'd assume brake pads so you can adjust pad width by taking spacers our or loosening cable and it should work.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
probably a handful of older frames with seat tubes the closely match the rear tire.

I'm riding a Cervelo S5 - previous generation - setup for TT and dirt from the road will scrap the frame using an aluminum track 404 and HED disc with a 23mm GP4000sII and Pro4. Presumably, if you go with a wider wheel, you're going to want a wider (and therefore taller) tire. I've bought, but not mounted 20mm tires to resolve the issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a 2015 Blue Triad SL, which has very narrow seat stays and tire clearance for the rear wheel. I tried to ride a 24mm rear tire on my HED disc, but ended with a flat 50 miles into my 70.3 'A' race of last season. I think the updated model does have clearance for wider wheels/tires now.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Scott Plasma 2 has narrow rear chainstays. I could run 23mm tires but not 25mm tires without rub. That's tires though, and may not have the same bearing on rim width. I'm not sure if the newer Plasma bikes retained that limited rear chainstay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure you're safe with most bikes... I ride 28c Zipps on my 2012 B12. When I race I'll use 25c Corsa's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Did somebody tried the FELT B series TT bike with 25mm ?

I ask Felt support and they said it was at my own risk...They will only support 23mm tire...

Thanks

Martin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it depends on the wheels, as well. I bought a QR PR6 this year and originally had a set of Boyd 60mm wheels that are 25+ mm and I was running Conti GP4000s 25mm tires for training at first. Those wheels were too laterally flexy and I had both tire/frame rub and brake rub. I have TriRig brakes on the bike, particularly in the rear to provide clearance for my powermeter crankarm, so that makes the brakes not as easily adjustable with a release lever. Regardless, nothing I did with those wheels improved the situation. They were properly tensioned. Hubs were properly adjusted. Still rubbing any time I got out of the saddle. I could not elicit the rubbing during seated pedaling, even when accelerating.

So I tried Zipps (404), Heds (Jet 6), and the OE Reynolds Strikes. All of these wheels work just fine with 25mm tires mounted. No brake track rubbing. No frame/tire rubbing w/25mm tires, unless I have the wheel mis-aligned in the rear-entry dropouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2011 Trek Speed Concept with 808 FC here. I tried 25mm Conti 4000 GP ii and the tire rubbed the speed box.

I'd be interested to see if anyone has gotten it to work but since then I've only ridden on 23mm.
Quote Reply
Re: What TT bikes don't fit 25mm wide wheels? [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
I might be a bike noob, but i could barely fit 23mm on my felt B14. It might be that i just have to change some settings but it does seem very narrow.

Which year B Series?

I have a B12 (2012 previous gen frame) and fit a 23mm wide wheel no problem (HED Jet 5 and Jet Disc) with a 24mm Turbo cotton tire. Trick is to remove the spacers accordingly for pad cartridge holders on the rear calipers.

I recently picked up a HED Jet+ disc (25mm wide version) and adjusted it so it was able to fit no problems (had to remove more cartridge holder spacers) with plenty of room. I haven't fit it with a tire yet but it shouldn't be an issue as my previous 23mm wide setup (with the Turbo tire) had lot plenty of clearance on the chainstays. Planning on using a 23mm GP4kII because I have a new spare one sitting around and the Turbo tire went with my previous Jet Disc when I sold it.

Per a previous Felt rep you would even get 28mm wide HED Stingers wheels to fit in my bike with all spacers removed and low profile brake pads.
Last edited by: loxx0050: Oct 12, 17 17:59
Quote Reply