Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hate to ask...anyone get in an accident with baby car seat on the side of the accident?
Quote | Reply
We are changing the car seat in a week or 2 to the forever style convertible car seat. We have the current one in the middle of the car cause we can just pick it up and carry the car seat. I am wanting to put the convertible seat in the middle too but it might get annoying seeing that I have a tiny Toyota corolla. Wondering if you have a small car and still put the seat in the middle or if you go door side.

And, hoping no one has had an accident with baby car seat on the side of the accident. If you did, was it bad?
Quote Reply
Re: Hate to ask...anyone get in an accident with baby car seat on the side of the accident? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The premise of this question is flawed. Why you're even asking it baffles me.
Quote Reply
Re: Hate to ask...anyone get in an accident with baby car seat on the side of the accident? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you ever seen pictures showing how caved in the side of a car gets after being t-boned? Would you like me to send you some?

I don't think it is so much of an inconvenience to lean across to the middle of the car to strap your little one in, especially when you consider the potential alternative.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Starting from scratch...
Quote Reply
Re: Hate to ask...anyone get in an accident with baby car seat on the side of the accident? [skinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skinny wrote:
Have you ever seen pictures showing how caved in the side of a car gets after being t-boned? Would you like me to send you some?

I don't think it is so much of an inconvenience to lean across to the middle of the car to strap your little one in, especially when you consider the potential alternative.

I was going to use the phrase pathetically myopic selfishness but thought that might be too harsh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see the usual child seat paranoia gang is out and about... never mind the fact we rode around without baby seats never mind seat belts.

Our Brittax Marathons are installed on the passenger side in both truck and car. I might feel differently if either vehicle went on roads that had a speed limit over 50mph on a monthly basis.
Quote Reply
Re: Hate to ask...anyone get in an accident with baby car seat on the side of the accident? [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah...toddlers are such pussies now! Still have memories of riding in the back of my dads truck as a young kid. Not sure what the law was back then.
Quote Reply
Re: Hate to ask...anyone get in an accident with baby car seat on the side of the accident? [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darwinism since the genes won't propagate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You already know the answer to your question. Kids are safer in the middle seat, but it is a pain to have a car seat there.

Also, kids are always safer with a 5 point harness, but you will never see a kid going to kindergarten using one unless they are like 5% on the growth charts. At that point you want one of those $30 backless boosters. Unless your kid is morbidly obese don't bother spending extra buying a car seat that can handle someone over 50 lbs.

When they get to kindergarten, I recommend getting a Bubble Bum. Great for emergency situation when you have to drive one of their friends around somewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Hate to ask...anyone get in an accident with baby car seat on the side of the accident? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So pretty much you can only transport one kid at a time in the car, huh?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Hate to ask...anyone get in an accident with baby car seat on the side of the accident? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
So pretty much you can only transport one kid at a time in the car, huh?

Did he ask about two kids? No he asked about one. The answer may be different to a different question.
Quote Reply
Re: Hate to ask...anyone get in an accident with baby car seat on the side of the accident? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My son is in kindergarten and JUST got a booster seat. He is barely over 40lbs. Rules are rules.
Quote Reply
Re: Hate to ask...anyone get in an accident with baby car seat on the side of the accident? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I mean . . . What do you do if you have two kids? Put your least favorite by the door?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Hate to ask...anyone get in an accident with baby car seat on the side of the accident? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Well, I mean . . . What do you do if you have two kids? Put your least favorite by the door?
dont be silly...parents must buy a huge expensive suvs with 3rd row seating so each kid gets the ideal safe spot!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
We are changing the car seat in a week or 2 to the forever style convertible car seat. We have the current one in the middle of the car cause we can just pick it up and carry the car seat. I am wanting to put the convertible seat in the middle too but it might get annoying seeing that I have a tiny Toyota corolla. Wondering if you have a small car and still put the seat in the middle or if you go door side.

And, hoping no one has had an accident with baby car seat on the side of the accident. If you did, was it bad?

Two years ago my daughter, son-in-law, and grand-kids were t-boned by a car. The other driver hit them in-between the front and rear doors on the drivers side. The other driver was traveling about 30 mph. My grandson, who was about 5 months old, was on the side that got hit and the side of the car was caved in. Everyone was shaken but walked away fine except for my daughter, she broke a few ribs. They were driving a Chevrolet Cruze and the side airbags really did the job. When I saw the car, I couldn't believe they weren't hurt more seriously.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have Toyota RAV 4, 6 yrs old's seat is behind the passenger seat. Wife got hit on the front right corner, spun the car over 90 degrees. Nothing happened to the kid, wife had a sore back.

Ad Muncher
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have 2 of these in our car. https://us.diono.com/product/radian-rxt/
Steel reinforced. Before the second one came along, we had one of these faced backwards in the middle.
Our son is in kindergarten and we will probably convert to booster seat this summer.
They are pretty bulky and a pain to move around, but you can't beat the safety.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

I am asking because I am shocked to see that a LARGE MAJORITY of the cars I see with the "convertible" type of car seat seem to have them sitting right at the door.

I originally typed my question while stopped at a light when I again saw a car seat in an area I didn't think was the best place. So, I asked based on my thought at the moment.

And to the a-holes that called me selfish...screw you. I asked a question based on how I rarely see parents put the carseat in the middle. Pay attention to the carseats in the next week and tell me whether you notice what I did. It doesn't make sense to me, and didn't...hence the question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
windywave wrote:

I am asking because I am shocked to see that a LARGE MAJORITY of the cars I see with the "convertible" type of car seat seem to have them sitting right at the door.

I originally typed my question while stopped at a light when I again saw a car seat in an area I didn't think was the best place. So, I asked based on my thought at the moment.

And to the a-holes that called me selfish...screw you. I asked a question based on how I rarely see parents put the carseat in the middle. Pay attention to the carseats in the next week and tell me whether you notice what I did. It doesn't make sense to me, and didn't...hence the question.

Don't be like that. Windy has extensive child rearing experience. How many kids does he have again? I don't remember but it must be quite a lot given how quickly he responded to your question and how quick to judge he was.
Quote Reply
Re: Hate to ask...anyone get in an accident with baby car seat on the side of the accident? [Go Pound Sand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a kid in my practice at 3 years old was in the back seat of a car. His irresponsible dad didn't properly secure the car seat. Good thing too because a trailor fell on the rear of the car. If he hadn't been ejected with the seat into the front he would have died. The kid walked away with stitches in his forehead. Sometimes God is on your side. I also got T-boned on the passenger side by a small jeep going about 30 miles an hour that ran a red. My son was in the second row of the minivan on that side. Fortunately The jeep punched in the front door and corner. Me and my son seriously shaken not injured. Airbags and seatbelts. I love them. I was also glad that on that day I was not driving the Prius.

Go Pound Sand wrote:
littlefoot wrote:

Two years ago my daughter, son-in-law, and grand-kids were t-boned by a car. The other driver hit them in-between the front and rear doors on the drivers side. The other driver was traveling about 30 mph. My grandson, who was about 5 months old, was on the side that got hit and the side of the car was caved in. Everyone was shaken but walked away fine except for my daughter, she broke a few ribs. They were driving a Chevrolet Cruze and the side airbags really did the job. When I saw the car, I couldn't believe they weren't hurt more seriously.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Hate to ask...anyone get in an accident with baby car seat on the side of the accident? [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
littlefoot wrote:
windywave wrote:

Don't be like that. Windy has extensive child rearing experience. How many kids does he have again? I don't remember but it must be quite a lot given how quickly he responded to your question and how quick to judge he was.

Interesting assumption you've made.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
windywave wrote:

Just because other people do it, does not make it a best practice. If I misinterpreted your comment about it being a hassle to be in the middle seat and took umbrage I apologize.
Quote Reply
Re: Hate to ask...anyone get in an accident with baby car seat on the side of the accident? [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
littlefoot wrote:
windywave wrote:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

How do you like your crow? Grilled, stewed, raw?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I asked our pediatrician about this very thing because the thought of wrangling an uncooperative toddler into the middle seat (just getting them into the car let alone strapping them in!) was a huge question of mine. She said that if you have a car built in the last 7 years that also has side airbags, they are just as safe by the window as they are in the middle seat. I trust her about a lot of other things when it comes to the health of my 2yo daughter so trust her on this too.

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Re: Hate to ask...anyone get in an accident with baby car seat on the side of the accident? [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lilpups wrote:
I asked our pediatrician about this very thing because the thought of wrangling an uncooperative toddler into the middle seat (just getting them into the car let alone strapping them in!) was a huge question of mine. She said that if you have a car built in the last 7 years that also has side airbags, they are just as safe by the window as they are in the middle seat. I trust her about a lot of other things when it comes to the health of my 2yo daughter so trust her on this too.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/...-safety/art-20043939

The Mayo Clinic disagrees
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.healthychildren.org/...on-for-Families.aspx

As does the American Academy of Pediatricians
Quote Reply

Prev Next