Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is my weight slowing me down?
Quote | Reply
I'm relatively new to this endurance stuff.
I'm 6'3" and a pretty lean 200lbs.
"Pretty fast for a big guy" is what I always hear and I am wondering if my weight is a limiting factor for my speed.
Looking at me, I don't have a lot of FAT, but looking at the Elites, I look like a giant.
I can run low 1:20 for a half, but during a half-ironman, I have struggled to put together a good run.

Do you guys think weight makes that much of a difference? More so on the bike or run?
Quote Reply
Re: Is my weight slowing me down? [ilike2run2eat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obligatory: user name checks out.

Yes you are too heavy for an endurance athlete. I'm 1/2 inch shorter than you and weigh 175lbs and I think I ought to be in high 160s. (Easily done when not swimming but hard for me when swimming.)

Can you drop to 180lbs? That should be easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe that every pound lost will lower your run time by about two seconds per mile.
Quote Reply
Re: Is my weight slowing me down? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL. And thanks for just being honest! I trained really hard throughout the Winter. Really Hard. And I just raced and I raced about the same as I have for 2 years. I felt like I've simply Max'd out how fast my body will go(obviously there could be other factors) I think my plan is to hold off on racing for a bit...and tone back my training so I am not always starving, and really focus on dropping these LB's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6' 2" 178 and I always feel like a slighter bigger triathlete compared to a lot of the elites (which I am not one of). I would think the run is where being heavier causes the most issues. For me, I'm not willing to go below about 175. I just feel too skinny.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Those two don't go together.

Quote:
I can run low 1:20 for a half, but during a half-ironman, I have struggled to put together a good run.

What's your definition of a bad half ironman run? Are we talking going a 1:28 off the bike or a 1:45? There's a big difference. For me personally if I'm within 5-10 mins of my open half time, I'm happy. I've only managed to do it a few times and the other times I've blown up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ilike2run2eat wrote:
I'm relatively new to this endurance stuff.
"Pretty fast for a big guy" is what I always hear and I am wondering if my weight is a limiting factor for my speed.
Looking at me, I don't have a lot of FAT, but looking at the Elites, I look like a giant.

Do you guys think weight makes that much of a difference? More so on the bike or run?

Lean? 6'5" 160 lbs

Does weight make a difference? How many fast 200lb guys do you see racing?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't recall where I saw it, but once read that ideally for triathlon you fall between 2.2-2.3lbs of bodyweight per inch of height. Of course there is some wiggle room in that number. Some people do not race well or cannot stay healthy once they reach a certain weight.

You are currently right around 2.7 - I would consider maybe trying to drop a few pounds, but ultimately it depends what your goals are. You're already moving pretty well at your current weight.

For the majority of people, the answer is likely yes - your weight is slowing you down.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For reference, Andy Potts is 6'3 and 175

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'2 and race at 155.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started out right about where you are - 6 ft 3, 205 lbs and pretty lean. I am now closer to about 185-190 on race day and still feel giant compared to the guys finishing around me. My buddy is about my height and races closer to 160 - he is much, much, much faster than me across the board - but on the run overwhelmingly so. That's largely due to his hard work, consistency, experience and talent - however lugging around 35 lbs less on the run has to help!

I can't imagine 160, however I had a hard time envisioning 185 back when I was 205. I am going to do my best to hit 175 at some point this year to see how it feels. I did get back to about 185 recently after spending a little too much time back around 195 (not lean) late last year/earlier this year and could really feel the difference. Hoping the next 10 lbs is as noticeable.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Is my weight slowing me down? [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started a year ago at 6'0" 184lbs. I am down to 163lbs and I am seeing huge gains in my running. The real question is how low can you go without it being a burden. I plateaued at 165lbs for a couple months and then started to cut out all junk food and all added sugars. I probably can't maintain that forever but I am interested to see how much lower I can go.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Is my weight slowing me down? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:

I have a friend who's 5'10, weighs 227 and has sub 10% body fat...
Quote Reply
Re: Is my weight slowing me down? [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is your friend a NFL RB or LB?
Sounds like a perfect body shape for football.
Last edited by: uva0224: Mar 20, 17 14:26
Quote Reply
Re: Is my weight slowing me down? [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
logella wrote:
Quote:

I have a friend who's 5'10, weighs 227 and has sub 10% body fat...

Those are called body builders. Wasn't Ronnie Coleman like 300 pounds and 4% body fat at shows?

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to be a good endurance athlete you need to stop just looking at the percentage of body fat you have to determine if you have good body composition. It's all mass. Mass that you're carrying around on the run when already tired (in triathlon). You are too heavy and sounds like you need to lose muscle. (probably still need to lose fat too)
Quote Reply
Re: Is my weight slowing me down? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I completely agree. Telling my wife I need to lose some weight, she just rolls her eyes. But with my goals, I know I need to treat my diet and nutrition with the same importance as I do with my training. I was closer to 220 in college, but was active in different sports...still pretty lean. I agree on the muscle AND fat loss. I just wish it was easier. I have a new respect for anyone that has lost a significant amount of weight. It's not easy. I think if I tone back training, and make this my #1, then I'll see some good weight loss. I'm only concerned with Speed. Tim Reed mentioned how powerful Sanders is on the the bike....but also mentioned that's he's essentially "carrying an extra bike" bc Sanders is heavier. Definitely makes sense, and I'm going to look at it as Free Speed.

I may revisit this post in 2-3 months to see if any updates are worth mentioning.
Thanks!

Sean H wrote:
If you want to be a good endurance athlete you need to stop just looking at the percentage of body fat you have to determine if you have good body composition. It's all mass. Mass that you're carrying around on the run when already tired (in triathlon). You are too heavy and sounds like you need to lose muscle. (probably still need to lose fat too)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's your run volume look like?

When I got into triathlon 2.5 years ago I thought I was a pretty thin guy at 6' 178 lbs. A few years before that I was 214.

Anyway, once I got my run volume up to 40, 50+ mpw the weight has fallen off. I now look like a triathlete at 163 lbs. It's amazing the mass you can drop that you didn't realize. And to top it off I'm running soooooo much faster now.

Anyway, try and start running 50+ mpw (build up to it if you're not close to that now) and eat sensibly. You'll change your body.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually read your post, but I didn't have to because the only possible answer to a subject line like that is: yes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ilike2run2eat wrote:
I completely agree. Telling my wife I need to lose some weight, she just rolls her eyes. But with my goals, I know I need to treat my diet and nutrition with the same importance as I do with my training. I was closer to 220 in college, but was active in different sports...still pretty lean. I agree on the muscle AND fat loss. I just wish it was easier. I have a new respect for anyone that has lost a significant amount of weight. It's not easy. I think if I tone back training, and make this my #1, then I'll see some good weight loss. I'm only concerned with Speed. Tim Reed mentioned how powerful Sanders is on the the bike....but also mentioned that's he's essentially "carrying an extra bike" bc Sanders is heavier. Definitely makes sense, and I'm going to look at it as Free Speed.

I may revisit this post in 2-3 months to see if any updates are worth mentioning.
Thanks!

Sean H wrote:

I always comment to my wife that if one put the food down on a table that a person eats in a week, and have a number of tables like this, without seeing the person, one could pretty easily guess which one is heavy and which one is thin. You cannot stay heavy UNLESS you put lots of food between the teeth!!!

It is NOT easy to keep my weight where it is. I work in it each day, just like my training. I have not had any cookies for lunch, or ice cream for dinner for weeks now since the scale each night does not lie!! (Eating out multiple days per week, for the last year and a half does not make it easy to keep weight off!)

I am always amazed when folks say how to get faster, but want to ignore the elephant in the room on their weight. If you are playing football or weight lifting, who cares.
But if you want to compete in a sport with running, well, ....

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Is my weight slowing me down? [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
I started a year ago at 6'0" 184lbs. I am down to 163lbs and I am seeing huge gains in my running. The real question is how low can you go without it being a burden. I plateaued at 165lbs for a couple months and then started to cut out all junk food and all added sugars. I probably can't maintain that forever but I am interested to see how much lower I can go.

6'1" and 130lbs atm. I hover between 130-140. At 6" I imagine you could get in the 120's assuming you only run and don't swim.

OlympicHopeful.com - Interviews with aspiring Olympians | Strava
Supported by: Skechers|Zwift|Squirt Lube|TYR|Rubber Ducky Sunscreen|Riplaces|MultiSport Canada|Joshus Bikes
“More often than not bad luck meant bad plans” -Joe Abercrombie
Quote Reply
Re: Is my weight slowing me down? [Joshawa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Genetics plays a huge role. Some people can pack on muscle easy and others can't for the life of them. I always gain weight when I'm biking/swimming more than I'm running. I eat a lot of protein too so I pack on muscle quickly. I'm up to 189lbs at 6'2" with 11% BF. I'll bump up my run mileage in the 50-60mpw starting in April and will get down to 185lbs or so. Your weight will hold you back for sure on the run but we all can't be 6'3" and 130lbs. You could go 30 days without eating and not get that low. You can be a bigger athlete and still be decent in triathlon. Heck....I missed out on a Kona slot by 1 slot this year on a hilly IM course. I ran a 3:30 and probably could have been a 3:25 if I paced better.
Quote Reply
Re: Is my weight slowing me down? [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started training for tri's last May and was 200 lbs and I am 6'2". When I started last year I was at 9 min miles for 1/2 marathon and now since I am 180 lbs I am around 8:30 miles. Losing weight has helped but I am sure my times will go down a lot since I am actually starting to run 6 days a week and building my way up to 50 mpw (at 25 mpw now). So for me I think that if I lose another 20 lbs I will get faster but the extra running will help me much more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wanted to add, the encouraging thing is you're already pretty dang fast at standalone running races, so your VO2 is really good. Once you drop 20 lbs you will be crushing it!!
Last edited by: Sean H: Mar 21, 17 7:00
Quote Reply
Re: Is my weight slowing me down? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate this thread. This is EXACTLY where I'm at. Started Tri last September. Used to be a "go to the gym to look strong" type of dude. 6,0 flat. 200lbs.

Did my first 26.2 in December at 5 hrs 45 min (yikes!). My run is so slow. And my right heel is not happy with me (I'm guessing this might be lingering from the massive jump up to 26.2).

Eating mostly plant based and I want to start packing on the runs per week.

I'm curious, I've been swimming ALOT for me. 4-6 miles a week. What's the deal with the negative weight impact a few of you have mentioned?
Quote Reply

Prev Next