Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin FR935 release [uva0224] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the "FR930xt" or the "FR935" is just market confusion or speculation over what the actual name would be for the 920xt replacement.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [sachems_88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As long as the battery can last a IM
Otherwise 920xt is still the king.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have seen the 935 in person. Slightly bigger face, longer battery life and more recessed optical HR. Don't know release date.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [EJOTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bigger than? 735? Or F5?

Surely not the 920? Because that's already a pretty big watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is how it looks
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [uva0224] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talked to 2 Garmin bigwigs at the LA Marathon expo this morning. They actually had a 935 in a bag but wouldn't show it to me. Yes, those are the pics, yes it's the replacement for the 920 triathlon crowd. Guy I talked to said the face wasn't that much bigger than the 735, it's thinner, altimeter, better battery life (said 20 hrs racing, but depending on connected devices and 1 sec/ smart recording). Said the optical hr will be updated from the 735 but he hadn't used it. It would record hr in swims and be viewable once files upload to garmin site. They still recommend a hr strap for accurate hr and run dynamics.

I told him I like the square face as it allows for a nice 4 quad layout and having the lap button on the face makes it easy to hit at intervals. He said their feedback is folks like the round face and more people like to wear the watch all day as a regular watch and somehow a square face detracts from that? I think garmin is trying to play to both the casual sport data collection person and the hard core tri/ ultra runner and may miss the mark former.

Since it is obviously out in the wild at the clever training store ( as seen in the now defeated video) and the fact it is traveling with the garmin big wigs must mean it's ready for prime time. I bet DC Rainmaker has one now and we'll start see more leaks. My guy was surprised when I to.d him I saw pics of the black and yellow versions.

I asked if it'll be another Kona fall release he said no. When pressed for a release date he said hemmed a bit but said plans were May.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent intel, good job interrogating the reps. I appreciate it. I look forward to dcrainmakers side by side with the Fenix 5.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [proftri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, looks like a repackaged Fenix 5 to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Found another pic:

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [RZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I am most excited about the price drop of the 920xt!!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And that's where I get a little annoyed. It's a training watch. If I want to buy a dress watch I'll buy one, they're cheap enough these days. But what I want from my training watch is function not necessarily form; although of course that does matter. As noted, the rectangular layout allows for easy display of 4 data functions. That simply cannot be done with a round face unless you either make the device monstrously large or the display font very small.

At the moment I cannot see any pressing reason to move from the 920XT. Heck, If the price is right I might even buy another to keep handy for when the one I have finally craps out..

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PhilipShambrook wrote:
And that's where I get a little annoyed. It's a training watch. If I want to buy a dress watch I'll buy one, they're cheap enough these days. But what I want from my training watch is function not necessarily form; although of course that does matter. As noted, the rectangular layout allows for easy display of 4 data functions. That simply cannot be done with a round face unless you either make the device monstrously large or the display font very small.

At the moment I cannot see any pressing reason to move from the 920XT. Heck, If the price is right I might even buy another to keep handy for when the one I have finally craps out..

Who buys a dress watch these days? Seriously.

I don't agree with you regarding function and form - there is absolutely no reason why both are not fully considered - but I am on your side with the round watch face. It just doesn't seem to fit. Even if you like three fields the large text of the middle field fights for your attention first even if you want the top or bottom field.

Despite being an early adopter I am still on the 910. It's lasted years, never let me down and I don't really need to over analyze the vertical oscillation of my nutsack whilst running, or whatever semi useless data point the latest things are selling. Does anyone actually use that info? I quite like the look of the 920 and I think wifi sync would be better than USB. Things like that i would consider upgrading for but I would stall heavily at a round watch face.

On another note, I found this nice pic of the Garmin timeline.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Last edited by: JayPeeWhy: Mar 18, 17 17:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, bigger version of the 735XT
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea of the lead time Garmin had for other past models in regards to the FCC report?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what is the price going to be? Wondering this as well? I have the 735xt and very happy with it but can swap it out at REI since I purchased it recently.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [ericallenboyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Past tri watches were $450 when they first came out. Except Fenix which was/is $500-600.

935 will have optical HR and a round face, which brings it closer to Fenix than the old square watches.

Purely speculative based on past prices: $500.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe they're dumping the tri-specific watch? If Garmin are bringing the design of the 920 replacement into line with it's other devices, what's going to be the point of difference? Features? Price? Maybe what we are seeing is a track being developed whereby there will be a consolidation of device types to reduce the number of products in the range.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Last edited by: PhilipShambrook: Mar 20, 17 16:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Past tri watches were $450 when they first came out. Except Fenix which was/is $500-600.

935 will have optical HR and a round face, which brings it closer to Fenix than the old square watches.

Yea, it's just another Fenix watch... rebranded.

935 on the left, 3 Fenix's on the right:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this is the new replacement of the 920, then could there possibly be a price drop for the 735xt. I'm about the drop the $$ on the 735, but would rather hold off and save some money if possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [RZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RZ wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

Yea, it's just another Fenix watch... rebranded.

935 on the left, 3 Fenix's on the right:

Nothing compares to the Vivoactive classic for weight/thinness.

I'm tempted to go back to it from my F3HR. It's still such a bulky watch.

2014 P3 DI2 - RT6, CXR80, Power2Max S, 820, Fenix 3 HR. (gone)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at the timeline of all of Garmin watches it makes me think that they are looking to move towards a common form of hardware. This allows them to reuse various designs and manufacturing lines over a variety of product lines. Hopefully as an attempt to reduce costs so we don't end up having to pay $500.00 for a watch......maybe I am being too optimistic.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [alexholbrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alexholbrook wrote:
If this is the new replacement of the 920, then could there possibly be a price drop for the 735xt. I'm about the drop the $$ on the 735, but would rather hold off and save some money if possible.

Yeah I would hold off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JayPeeWhy wrote:
PhilipShambrook wrote:

Who buys a dress watch these days? Seriously.

I don't agree with you regarding function and form - there is absolutely no reason why both are not fully considered - but I am on your side with the round watch face. It just doesn't seem to fit. Even if you like three fields the large text of the middle field fights for your attention first even if you want the top or bottom field.

Despite being an early adopter I am still on the 910. It's lasted years, never let me down and I don't really need to over analyze the vertical oscillation of my nutsack whilst running, or whatever semi useless data point the latest things are selling. Does anyone actually use that info? I quite like the look of the 920 and I think wifi sync would be better than USB. Things like that i would consider upgrading for but I would stall heavily at a round watch face.

On another note, I found this nice pic of the Garmin timeline.

Who buys a dress watch..?.?

I do. I have a beautiful U-Boat which is my daily wear. I'm not particularly interested in a smart watch as a daily wear. Am very happy with my 920 so will stick with that for a while now.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually bought a Garmin 230 as a dress watch that doubles as a running watch.

I know, kind of warped sense of fashion.
Quote Reply

Prev Next