Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

problem with speed concept
Quote | Reply
i know i should be posting this in official speed concept fourm, but it wont let me. so i have a new 2015 sc 9 seires i bought as a frame set. just had it built and have just about 400 miles on it. i noticed that the fork seems to be grinding on the head tube and causing paint damage. hoping to resolve this quickly before any more damage is done.

Last edited by: boneyard: Mar 20, 17 16:38
Quote Reply
Re: problem with speed concept [boneyard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where? You should post a photo. I'm sure Carl will give you a definitive answe,r but you should give us something to go on.

I will speculate anyway: among other things, there is supposed to be a rubber piece glued to the bottom of the head tube that acts as a bumper when the steerer is turned all the way. Maybe you are missing that piece?
Quote Reply
Re: problem with speed concept [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you for the response. i am having trouble uploading a photo file size to large. the damage isn't from over turning. if the bars are straight you cant see the damage being done the fork hides it. hopefully i can get a photo up soon
Quote Reply
Re: problem with speed concept [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK that's super useful. I'm going to leave that one to Carl. Never seen that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the short term, to prevent any more damage, stick on some PVC tape (electrical tape) a piece of the 2" wide stuff, should see you right until you get this sorted

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't tell if its the stem or stem cover but it doesn't look like its completely on the steerer tube. Something's not quite right. I don't think that gap should be there.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: problem with speed concept [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I can't tell if its the stem or stem cover but it doesn't look like its completely on the steerer tube. Something's not quite right. I don't think that gap should be there.

I will second Steve's comment. Something isn't assembled correctly and this is allowing the fork steerer to move off center from the headtube allowing the back of the fork to rub against the front of the headtube. Do not ride the bike until you can get this corrected. Having the bars and stem come off at speed could be a disaster.
Quote Reply
Re: problem with speed concept [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
stevej wrote:

I will second Steve's comment. Something isn't assembled correctly and this is allowing the fork steerer to move off center from the headtube allowing the back of the fork to rub against the front of the headtube. Do not ride the bike until you can get this corrected. Having the bars and stem come off at speed could be a disaster.

x3

I put together both of my SC's and it shouldn't look like that.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: problem with speed concept [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well i paid pretty good money for build and fit from a shop that specializes in triathlon. all be dropping it off their tomorrow. was hopping to see if anyone had experienced this before
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say SummitAK hit the high points here...that doesn't look like everything is put together properly. The stem, in particular, doesn't appear to be seated properly between the steerer (where you see the gap everyone is talking about) and the top of the fork. Almost like it's angled downwards. Tightened up in that position, it could bring the top of the fork back toward the headtube and cause the rubbing you see. It's also possible that there is excessive paint on either the back of the fork or the front of the headtube in that location (or both) or something has gotten caught in there and that's causing the rubbing. At the very least, I'd have a Trek dealer take a look at it and probably suggest they disassemble the front end and try again to see if it's just an assembly issue.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boneyard wrote:
i know i should be posting this in official speed concept fourm, but it wont let me. so i have a new 2015 sc 9 seires i bought as a frame set. just had it built and have just about 400 miles on it. i noticed that the fork seems to be grinding on the head tube and causing paint damage. hoping to resolve this quickly before any more damage is done.

I've assembled a speed concept no less than 20 times. I can't figure how there could be a gap at the steerer unless the fork is from a larger sized SC. Regardless, it's a good thing you noticed the scratching before you wound up eating pavement. Link to assembly manual below. Please post outcome from LBS.

http://trek.scene7.com/is/content/TrekBicycleProducts/Asset%20Library/documents/Manuals/pdf/Trek_2014_Speed_Concept_Service_Manual.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: problem with speed concept [Xing triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had to replace a fork and whole frame because failure of the bearings in the fork. Luckily, Trek replaced both under warranty since they were less than 6 months old. The same happened to my friend. You have to periodically tighten everything to make sure it doesn't happen.
Quote Reply
Re: problem with speed concept [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
I'd say SummitAK hit the high points here...that doesn't look like everything is put together properly. The stem, in particular, doesn't appear to be seated properly between the steerer (where you see the gap everyone is talking about) and the top of the fork. Almost like it's angled downwards. Tightened up in that position, it could bring the top of the fork back toward the headtube and cause the rubbing you see. It's also possible that there is excessive paint on either the back of the fork or the front of the headtube in that location (or both) or something has gotten caught in there and that's causing the rubbing. At the very least, I'd have a Trek dealer take a look at it and probably suggest they disassemble the front end and try again to see if it's just an assembly issue.

Is he missing that cone spacer thingy? IE the spacer that goes on your fork and seats the fork into your top headset bearing? Does Trek use those?

That would be my 2c....as others have said don't ride it until solved.

Cheers,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: problem with speed concept [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you're describing the split-ring that's used on standard headsets. There's one on the gen1 7-series, but all gen2 bikes have a system which doesn't use that.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there play in the headset due to the 'loose' assembly ?

I think I would be having a word with the place that built it up. The chewed up stainless bolt is enough for me to become suspicious of the workmanship ... :-(

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should have added - that's a great colour scheme (my team colours), would love to see a picture when it's all built up ;-)

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: problem with speed concept [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you. i absolutely love the paint on this bike. here is a pic from this last weekend at sanoma lake previewing the santa rosa IM course
Quote Reply