Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How long for a course of PT?
Quote | Reply
I've been dealing with an minor injury that has hindered running, but not swim and bike. Doesn't matter that much as I've been trending away from the sport. I'd like to remain active.(going for a run if I feel like it) I have started a course of PT. Exercises and stretches have been provided. How long do I need to keep going? Paying the co-pay will add up for what may be the same information/treatment over and over.
Quote Reply
Re: How long for a course of PT? [plant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll start by saying I'm a physiatrist (look it up)...you need to go to PT as long as you feel it is necessary for you to 1. start to feel better and 2. know what to do to maintain and hopefully keep improving.

That's the short answer. If you are trending away from the sport and are content to stay away from the pain then I think the advice above holds...life (time, money, work) gets in the way but if you need to be better and as quickly as possible then you need to keep going and sometime see more than one (or two PTs) until you are convinced you received good treatment.

Kyle
Quote Reply
Re: How long for a course of PT? [plant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant wrote:
I've been dealing with an minor injury that has hindered running, but not swim and bike. Doesn't matter that much as I've been trending away from the sport. I'd like to remain active.(going for a run if I feel like it) I have started a course of PT. Exercises and stretches have been provided. How long do I need to keep going? Paying the co-pay will add up for what may be the same information/treatment over and over.

If your therapist offers nothing more than the same instructions each session then they aren't doing a very good job. They should be offering techniques (assisted stretching, massage, etc) or equipment you can't do at home, otherwise you might as well just do it yourself at home. Tell your PT as much.
Quote Reply
Re: How long for a course of PT? [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl.n wrote:
plant wrote:

If your therapist offers nothing more than the same instructions each session then they aren't doing a very good job. They should be offering techniques (assisted stretching, massage, etc) or equipment you can't do at home, otherwise you might as well just do it yourself at home. Tell your PT as much.

^ This.....exactly.
Quote Reply
Re: How long for a course of PT? [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A course of PT (especially for a runner) should include the following.

1) Hands-on type care (manual therapy)

2) Time with the actual PT (and more than 5-10 minutes), not stuck in a corner doing exercises by yourself or hooked up to some heating pad, stim machine, etc.

3) Thorough assessment of your injury and its relation to running, meaning the PT should be connecting the dots why the injury occurred and how to get it fixed.

It's the main reason I decided just to go cash-based. Gives me 75-90 minutes with each client, insurance is out of the picture, patients get the care they need, outcomes are better, and patients are happier.

If you can find a PT who knows runners and is cash based, head their way.

CB
Physical Therapist/Endurance Coach
http://www.cadencept.net
Quote Reply
Re: How long for a course of PT? [kstier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kstier wrote:
I'll start by saying I'm a physiatrist (look it up)...you need to go to PT as long as you feel it is necessary for you to 1. start to feel better and 2. know what to do to maintain and hopefully keep improving.

That's the short answer. If you are trending away from the sport and are content to stay away from the pain then I think the advice above holds...life (time, money, work) gets in the way but if you need to be better and as quickly as possible then you need to keep going and sometime see more than one (or two PTs) until you are convinced you received good treatment.

Kyle

In the real world, the third party payment companies and your type of coverage are going to have a huge influence on the course of treatment. Graduates from these educational institutions are likely going to have a huge student debt that they need to pay off their bills. Very few, if any are going to go to a cash based system on $70 hour and only work with one individual for this time frame when traditional scheduling and insurance based payments are going to be multiple times that.
Quote Reply
Re: How long for a course of PT? [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with all of you...unfortunately reality says that the therapists local to me who take cash only are essentially out-of-reach for financial reasons to all but the very few at the top of the economic ladder. And the cash based PTs near me are charging far more than $70/hr...
Quote Reply
Re: How long for a course of PT? [kstier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kstier wrote:
I agree with all of you...unfortunately reality says that the therapists local to me who take cash only are essentially out-of-reach for financial reasons to all but the very few at the top of the economic ladder. And the cash based PTs near me are charging far more than $70/hr...[/quote

$70+ a hour cash and up makes it difficult to reach clients who benefit from it. Good luck with this new profession that finds many thumbs and fingers dictating rules and operations.
Quote Reply