Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st, the Southwest Regional Championship?
Quote | Reply
Going to be a great race, who is in? We do not want to lose it like Wildflower

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Last edited by: h2ofun: Apr 19, 17 14:16
Quote Reply
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm there for the half. The GF (who hails from that area) will be doing the Oly. I'm curious how it compares to St. George, which I did last year.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chances for me are near zero. It'll be the first I've missed since '07 (I think).

memorial for mom in Monterey the day before. And, the season breaker... Bulging disk at C7 pinching nerves; left arm functionally - useless. Calling the surgeon in a few minutes :-(

For everyone, this is a tough but fun course. I'll miss it. My best time is > 15 minutes slower than WF (and WF ain't exactly a fast course either!).

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoping to talk the wife into letting me sign up this week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool. I didn't know about it. I will put it on my list for next year. Doing Chattanooga 70.3 in may this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st? [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:

Super, local, low key race. Just hope we can get enough folks to race, or it might be gone next year like Wildflower is gone.
If we lose our local races, we have no one to blame but ourselves. This is why I am doing even though I will be doing
IMSR 70.3 the week before.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did that race many years ago. Pitched a tent about 10 feet from my transition rack IIRC and stayed there the night before the race. It was awesome!
Great race, tough course, beautiful area.
Sad to hear the race numbers are down?
Slap an M-dot logo and the lemmings would be there in droves I bet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
T3_Beer wrote:

Super, local, low key race. Just hope we can get enough folks to race, or it might be gone next year like Wildflower is gone.
If we lose our local races, we have no one to blame but ourselves. This is why I am doing even though I will be doing

PM Sent with a couple of questions about the race.....thanks for bringing it up!
Quote Reply
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
I did that race many years ago. Pitched a tent about 10 feet from my transition rack IIRC and stayed there the night before the race. It was awesome!
Great race, tough course, beautiful area.
Sad to hear the race numbers are down?
Slap an M-dot logo and the lemmings would be there in droves I bet.

Actually, their numbers are up from last year. Lots of local support since it is such a great race!!! I have been doing for over a decade, and I have lots of family and friends who help at the race.

So, who knows what next year brings. I just would hate to have folks say things I saw on the Wildflower thread like I should have support so it did not go away.

Another reason I love the race is it tends to be a very highly ranked USAT event. :)

And since it has great hills, sure do not have to worry about drafting.

And you can pick the distance you love.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One year I'll skip the Davis Double and give Auburn a shot. Looks like a lot of fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ill be there! Looking forward to it! Wildflower was my favorite race and im hoping Auburn will be there forever (as i am moving to folsom in the next couple weeks)! Lets drive the numbers and the support for a tough, local race with good people and an awesome early season tough 70.3!
Quote Reply
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st? [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This race is significantly tougher, slower, and more rugged than St George in most ways possible. 2 years ago I've done both (they're a couple of weeks apart), but had a mechanical at StG after which I ended up not having a saddle at the top of the first climb. To give you an idea of that bike course, my bike time at StG without a saddle for ~52 miles was 10mins faster than that at Auburn with the bike intact. Although I did ride a road bike for Auburn, and would do so again if I were to do it. Bring your climbing face on and don't forget to bomb the downhills.

I like Auburn run better, and it's a bit more tough, but it's way short (I had 12.3 on 920xt) and there's some shade on the trails, so slightly faster time than StG on the run.

Idk about World's Toughest, but it's definitely a tough race.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st? [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like any race with hills, one key point is to make sure one has the correct bike gears for hills!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Auburn looks like an awesome race and ine I want to try. Its on the plan for 2018.

This year I'm doing Donner half (for the first time) instead. I seem to recall that you said that was a good one too?

Other than that I'm looking at June lake tri, whichbis another amazing local low key race with awesome setting, food, vibe.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st? [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
Auburn looks like an awesome race and ine I want to try. Its on the plan for 2018.

This year I'm doing Donner half (for the first time) instead. I seem to recall that you said that was a good one too?

Other than that I'm looking at June lake tri, whichbis another amazing local low key race with awesome setting, food, vibe.

I do Auburn and Donner each year.

I love the Donner race, even though coming down the hill scares the hell out of me. The Donner half bike is brutal. And then 2 runs around the lake at altitude,
that is a stud race. I just do the Olympic distance there.

Yes, we still have a few local owned great races, as you stated. BUT, if folks do not sign up for them, well, they will be, IMO, no more in the future.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
davejustdave wrote:

I love the Donner race, even though coming down the hill scares the hell out of me. The Donner half bike is brutal. And then 2 runs around the lake at altitude,

Yes, we still have a few local owned great races, as you stated. BUT, if folks do not sign up for them, well, they will be, IMO, no more in the future.

Sorry for the derail, but how do you feel the bike at June compares to Donner? I loved June, but it was a butt kicker.

If I only had more time, I'd probably do all 3, but driving over a 1000 miles and doing a half on a single weekend gets to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st? [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
davejustdave wrote:

Sorry for the derail, but how do you feel the bike at June compares to Donner? I loved June, but it was a butt kicker.

If I only had more time, I'd probably do all 3, but driving over a 1000 miles and doing a half on a single weekend gets to me.

I have not done June. Have done IMLT.

Hard is hard, which is why I have a 50/34 11/32 setup on all my bikes. I know I can climb the donner hill sitting down, while so many are standing up while I pass them.
Starts with the smartest gearing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
T3_Beer wrote:

I'm in! Doing St George 2 weeks before, but want to support cool local races so will recover fast from StG and give this one all I can. Thanks again h2ofun for bringing this one up.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st? [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
T3_Beer wrote:

I'm in! Doing St George 2 weeks before, but want to support cool local races so will recover fast from StG and give this one all I can. Thanks again h2ofun for bringing this one up.

Thanks for racing. Find me and lets say hi. Be careful, I might bite. :) . I will be the old tall skinny guy with a white running hat with the tail on it and in my TeamUSA uniform.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump. Yes, #4 for me. Caught a really nasty bug after Oceanside so hoping I can get it together. Love that course and Colleen and Joe are terrific.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st? [Dragger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dragger wrote:
Bump. Yes, #4 for me. Caught a really nasty bug after Oceanside so hoping I can get it together. Love that course and Colleen and Joe are terrific.

Great, hope to see you there

Quote Reply
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st, the Southwest Regional Championship? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Auburn is the Southwest Regional CHampionship for Olympic Distance. Been a little misunderstandings, but all cleared up now.
Can I do IMSR 70.3 a week before and survive Auburn on week later, we shall see.

Quote Reply
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st, the Southwest Regional Championship? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Auburn is the Southwest Regional CHampionship for Olympic Distance. Been a little misunderstandings, but all cleared up now.
Can I do IMSR 70.3 a week before and survive Auburn on week later, we shall see.

You can do it! I'm running a half marathon, then St George 70.3 the next weekend, then Auburn half 2 weeks later.......and I'm fat and slow!
Quote Reply
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st, the Southwest Regional Championship? [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

You can do it! I'm running a half marathon, then St George 70.3 the next weekend, then Auburn half 2 weeks later.......and I'm fat and slow!

Great, we can suffer together. Have great races

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With more than 6,000 ft of climbing, is this a road bike course or still a tri bike?
Quote Reply

Prev Next