Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Felt bayonet 3 and zipp extension issues
Quote | Reply
I've recently got my hands on a new Felt IA14 and the first thing I had to do was swap out the stock extensions. I've replaced them with some zipp vuka carbon ski bends. Trouble is no matter what I do I can't stop them twisting when going over bumpy roads (in the UK it's impossible to avoid bumpy roads!). I've coated the extensions and bracket with carbon assembly paste and torqued them up as much as I dare but they still move during a ride.

I was sure that they were the same diameter but maybe someone can point out my mistake. Failing that any ideas to stop this happening. It's quite disconcerting on a fast descent to have this happen all of a sudden!
Quote Reply
Re: Felt bayonet 3 and zipp extension issues [jamo1080] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
have you tried carbon paste like they use on seat posts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp's website specifies a clamp torque of 4Nm. It sounds like you might be just tightening to feel. Perhaps you could purchase a torque wrench or pop into your LBS and have them tighten them down to spec?
Quote Reply
Re: Felt bayonet 3 and zipp extension issues [godseyt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried carbon assembly paste and the clamps recommend a max torque of 7nm which I've done with a torque wrench. Way over what zipp recomend and they still slip. I'm wondering whether they are a different outer diameter to the stock extensions but I was sure they were both 22.2mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is kind of ghetto, but what worked for mine was folding a small piece of sandpaper in half so the rough side is on the front/back. Then, slivering that sandpaper in before tightening the clamp. Worked that way for YEARS with zero slippage.
Quote Reply