Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any advice on restoring/revitalizing GoreTex apparel?
Quote | Reply
I need to restore/revitalize some 10-ish year old GoreTex apparel (we'll be in a very cold, wet place next week). Anyone got any recommended products and/or techniques?

I just bought some Nikwax TX Direct wash-in stuff and was planning on washing the stuff tonight. I read some reviews of that product, which lean positive, but I (gulp) value the LR's collective experience too.

Thanks!

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Any advice on restoring/revitalizing GoreTex apparel? [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've a couple of arc teryx alpha sv's which i have been fairly reluctant to wash.

The welded draw cord covering inside had all frayed so i dropped it off with them and they asked if i ever washed them. They said you need to ao that the fabric works as intended

I am pretty sure they sold nik wax products in there
Quote Reply
Re: Any advice on restoring/revitalizing GoreTex apparel? [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no hardcore outdoor warrior with any sort of extreme gore-tex protection needs, but I've used the Nickwax wash-in stuff over the years to keep my various gore-tex (and similar coating) jacket & pants shells refreshed.

It seems to work well - they come out of the wash beading water like a champ, so I take that as a good sign :)

I don't have any reason to think it makes anything worse, so I've considered reasonably priced peace-of-mind.

Cheers, Chris

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't help but any time I hear "goretex" I think of this.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reaching way back in the memory banks to when I worked for an outdoor retailer.. There are two parts to this - cleaning the Gore-Tex membrane so that it doesn't have anything clogging the pores, and renewing the DWR on the outer shell.

DON'T use a normal liquid laundry detergent because it will interfere with the membrane. Find something specifically formulated for use with Gore-Tex (Nikwax Tech Wash, etc).

Once it's clean, then use something like TX Direct to restore the DWR coating on the shell fabric. If I remember, the spray-on version is supposed to work better than the wash-in because it's only getting applied to the outside of the jacket, but it's more of a PITA to apply evenly and completely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would trust the collective internet more than my own experience but I had a GoreTex rain coat that I was told to put in the dryer anytime it stopped working. Every time it came out of the dryer it beaded water like a champ, but each time I did that there would be less time before it needed to go through the dryer again.
Quote Reply
Re: Any advice on restoring/revitalizing GoreTex apparel? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
I would trust the collective internet more than my own experience but I had a GoreTex rain coat that I was told to put in the dryer anytime it stopped working. Every time it came out of the dryer it beaded water like a champ, but each time I did that there would be less time before it needed to go through the dryer again.

Putting it in the dryer - on a LOW setting! - just "redistributes" what is left of the shell's DWR coating, and temporarily.
Quote Reply
Re: Any advice on restoring/revitalizing GoreTex apparel? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Reaching way back in the memory banks to when I worked for an outdoor retailer.. There are two parts to this - cleaning the Gore-Tex membrane so that it doesn't have anything clogging the pores, and renewing the DWR on the outer shell.

DON'T use a normal liquid laundry detergent because it will interfere with the membrane. Find something specifically formulated for use with Gore-Tex (Nikwax Tech Wash, etc).

Once it's clean, then use something like TX Direct to restore the DWR coating on the shell fabric. If I remember, the spray-on version is supposed to work better than the wash-in because it's only getting applied to the outside of the jacket, but it's more of a PITA to apply evenly and completely.

^^^ This right here. Applies to Event fabrics as well. Appropriate washing keeps the membrane working; renewing the DWR helps as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Any advice on restoring/revitalizing GoreTex apparel? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I've a couple of arc teryx alpha sv's which i have been fairly reluctant to wash.

The welded draw cord covering inside had all frayed so i dropped it off with them and they asked if i ever washed them. They said you need to ao that the fabric works as intended

I am pretty sure they sold nik wax products in there

dont be! wash them and put them in the dryer. it keeps them working well. this is what they told me a couple years ago when they warrantied my 10 year old coat. they gave me a free replacement. they have the best customer service!

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply