Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wattbike - Chicago Hotel / Public Gym
Quote | Reply
Hi. I will be travelling to Chicago in a couple of weeks for a business trip. I will be staying downtown just off Michigan Av.

Does anyone know of any hotels that have Watbikes in their gym's?

Alternatively, are there any public gyms that have Wattbikes in that I could pay to use on a one-off basis?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Wattbike - Chicago Hotel / Public Gym [jarv1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've stayed in most of the hotels along Michigan Avenue in the last three years. You're SOL for finding a Wattbike or anything along those lines. Sorry :/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have stayed at a couple of different hotels in Chicago over the past two years. No Wattbikes. Never seen a Wattbike in any hotel ever. Or any gym for that matter.

I travel a bit for work and am happy if they even have a bike that isn't a recumbent in the gym. I hit the lottery twice when the hotel gyms actually had a spin bike instead of the fat seated uprights that most have.
Quote Reply
Re: Wattbike - Chicago Hotel / Public Gym [TashaSkippy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

As an alternative, do you know of any decent hotels with spin bikes then?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like there are a few Equinox gyms in Chicago. Not sure if any of them are near where you're going to be staying, but if these Equinoxes are anything like the ones I go to in NYC, they'll have spin bikes with Watt/RPM/Speedometer computers built in. You could probably get a day pass.

https://www.equinox.com/clubs/chicago
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jarv1982 wrote:
Thanks.

As an alternative, do you know of any decent hotels with spin bikes then?

I do not.

Best option is to get a day pass at one of the bigger gyms in the area. Call ahead. Whether its the Y, Lifetime, etc. When I have really needed to get a bike workout in during travel, that was my solution.

I am more likely to front load my cycling prior to a trip and use the travel as recovery. I rarely have trips that last more than 2 days.
Quote Reply
Re: Wattbike - Chicago Hotel / Public Gym [TashaSkippy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stay in Chicago a fair bit and have come up with these two options - The Raddison Blue Aqua has a full gym with about 6-8 Cycleops bikes, which have powermeters. The problem I have encountered is that they aren't in very good shape. Often I have to hop from bike to bike to find one with a working powermeter and often the wattage calibration seems pretty off. The other option I have found in the Langham hotel (with a caveat that it is a pretty pricey hotel that I get a good corporate discount on). They have a nice gym with good spin bikes. No power but they keep the bikes in good condition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out FFC - Fitness Formula Club for decent spin bikes. One of the nicer Gyms around the Loop. They have 7 or 8 locations.
Quote Reply
Re: Wattbike - Chicago Hotel / Public Gym [jderinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jderinger wrote:
I stay in Chicago a fair bit and have come up with these two options - The Raddison Blue Aqua has a full gym with about 6-8 Cycleops bikes, which have powermeters. The problem I have encountered is that they aren't in very good shape. Often I have to hop from bike to bike to find one with a working powermeter and often the wattage calibration seems pretty off. The other option I have found in the Langham hotel (with a caveat that it is a pretty pricey hotel that I get a good corporate discount on). They have a nice gym with good spin bikes. No power but they keep the bikes in good condition.

+1 on the Raddison Blu Aqua - the Cycleops bikes were 300PTs - so you can't use TranerRoad and other smart trainer software like you can with the later versions of this bike, but they do measure watts, and the flywheel is about 45 pounds

This hotel also has an outdoor running track, a 2-lane 25 Yard/(Meter?) indoor lap pool, and a 6 lane outdoor 25 meter lap pool (obviously closed this time of year).
Quote Reply
Re: Wattbike - Chicago Hotel / Public Gym [jderinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jderinger wrote:
I stay in Chicago a fair bit and have come up with these two options - The Radison Blue Aqua has a full gym with about 6-8 Cycleops bikes, which have powermeters. The problem I have encountered is that they aren't in very good shape. Often I have to hop from bike to bike to find one with a working powermeter and often the wattage calibration seems pretty off. The other option I have found in the Langham hotel (with a caveat that it is a pretty pricey hotel that I get a good corporate discount on). They have a nice gym with good spin bikes. No power but they keep the bikes in good condition.
Came here to say this. Radisson Blue Aqua. They have an outdoor lap pool on the roof! With a synthetic running track also on the roof. Really neat. The rooms are VERY nice.

If you aren't convinced. I looked into it, and Radisson Blue Aqua plus one more hotel (can't remember which), were the only two hotels downtown without any bed bug reports. Yeah.....
Quote Reply