Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Stages Power Meter?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to buy a power meter for my road bike that I also use for duathlon and TT.
Several of the people on my group rides use Stages and like them, so I'm leaning towards that. I'm sure there are "better" power meters out there but it looks like they cost more. Is stages the best "value"?

I see I can get the Stages Dura Ace 9000 172.5 for $550-$600 range if I find a good deal on sale online.

My needs are:
1) Use this to compare Computrainer power
2) Use this to pace my TT and duathlons
3) Track power on my outdoor and group rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter? [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. Just no.

Signal is not strong enough to send to tt bars especially if you have arms like in the way and stuff.

Moved mine to roady and thought that would do but still see loads of drop outs.

You're only half reliable data will be indoors on turbo with no items in way.

Or else you can use outdoors but set your garmin to exclude zeros and know your data will be compromised by any free wheeling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used my Stages to pace TTs. Garmin 510, mounted on extensions by my wrist. Never had a drop out problem. Very close match to my G3. Other issues, which Stages handled professionally through customer support led me to move on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got one as I was in the same position as you a couple of years ago. I wouldn't again. I thought I was saving money but it was a false economy, they were too much hassle: too many drop offs, too many battery drains found on race morning, too many times the signal has been lost on the tribars. It was just such a pain in the arse combined with left leg only power tracking (I'm right side dominant)

I've moved across to powertap pedals. Much better.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter? [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow I'm surprised to hear those bad reviews about the Stages. I've heard in the past that people had some problems w/ them, but I figured they would have worked out the issues by now. What's the best, reliable, power meter? It sounds like the P1 pedals are aewsome, but I can't drop $1100 on them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you've already got a shimano crank, you can add a pioneer single leg to the unit for a reasonable price. Nice thing about that is if you get more into it, you can upgrade to a dual leg down the road really easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$754 gets you a BB386 Power2max

Just a little over your budget for a real power meter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cbr shadow wrote:
Wow I'm surprised to hear those bad reviews about the Stages. I've heard in the past that people had some problems w/ them, but I figured they would have worked out the issues by now. What's the best, reliable, power meter? It sounds like the P1 pedals are aewsome, but I can't drop $1100 on them

I had a Quarq that was dead reliable. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a power meter.

Sadly the Quarq didn't fit the BB386EVO bottom bracket on my new bike and I decided to try a Stages instead. Utterly useless doesn't even begin to describe it. See the first reply to your question - that was also my experience. The data coming out of the thing are useless. Ended up going with the full dual-side P1 and I like those. But if you are able to fit a Quarq on your bike I would go that route.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can wait, wait. There's a bunch of new products coming out for the start of the N Hemisphere race season which should push down prices of legacy products.

Generally though, I would go with powertap wheel or pedal system, or a crank based powermeter like a quarq. That's just my opinion.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
jaretj wrote:

Do you have a link where to buy from??

power2max.com, but I don't think it includes chainrings.

To the OP, Praxis has a left side only crankset (including rings) for 499. 4iiii meter and you have to purchase the proper bottom bracket. Cranks weigh about the same as an Ultegra 6800.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get the Powertap C1 power meter for $700 or the Powertap GS hub for $400.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im shocked there has been bad reviews on the DA stages. I have the same one you are looking at and I have never had a problem. Got it used on here a year ago and its worked like a charm for me every day I have used it. Only problem I had was the connection I had with my tablet. Turns out it was my tablet. Not the pm. I would recommend it! I use it mainly with Trainerroad indoors and also on my Garmin outside. No real problems. Good for pacing and tracking power. I feel like it pretty accurate.

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Friends don't let friends buy stages

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter? [Fazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish someone would have told me this before I got it last spring. I never had power readings issues when my Garmin is close and the data was very close to my new P1's. The issue is, it doesn't connect with the 920xt at all. They won't help you solve this issue. Other Garmin devices are slightly better, but not great. The signal just doesn't get unit if you have a long reach/big arms. If you have both, don't even try. My advice is just save a few more weeks, months, whatever and get the P1's or something else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've run my Stages Ultegra on my road and tri bike for 3 years now with Garmin 500 and 920XT. The only issue I've had was the battery cover. A quick email, and reply on a Sunday, and two replacements were shipped and have not had any issues since. No drops, even in the aero bars.

I was looking for something that was easy to swap between bikes and wasn't willing to pay the price to put something on both bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter? [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Stages Gen2 has never caused me a problem, riding upwards of 7 hours per week.
I was worried when I first used my computer on top of my bta bottle, but even that worked perfectly.
Would I buy it again? Absolutely, without hesitation. Would I like a like an all singing all dancing model at twice the price? Again, absolutely!
I'd also like to ride a top of the line bike, but budget plays a part.
For the price, I think stages are great.
I probably have a dominant leg when running, and a dominant arm when swimming as well, but I won't lose any sleep over it!

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Friends don't let friends buy stages left-side-only power meters

Fixed your post for you. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
stevej wrote:
Friends don't let friends buy stages left-side-only power meters

Fixed your post for you. ;)

I couldn't agree more

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy a SRM off eBay and you will be worry free, seems like you can find a Shimano one with 7900 rings that works fine with 11sp for that price. It's well worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
jaretj wrote:

The new FSA Powerbox is a Power2Max powermeter with a BB386 crank for less than $754.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/...AkM-8P8HAQ#pid=36922
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can stretch your budget to $590 + cost of new Bottom Bracket, get this.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/...alloy-road-chainset/

Powerbox Power Meter Alloy Road Chainset
FSA Powerbox power meter chainsets use proven power2max® power meter technology for precise power measurements, combined with proven FSA chainset construction featuring the innovative BB386EVO / BB392EVO 30mm spindle system that fits any frame.
The Powerbox chainset power meter measurs both left and right leg outputs and sends the information to your cycle-computer via Ant+ protocol or via an optional Bluetooth upgrade.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter? [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
while I might not buy it again because I prefer non-left side only... I don't have dropouts to my Garmin on my TT bike. I also have Version1 and once the battery door was replaced, it's been pretty trouble free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't just don't.

The V2 may be better but I went through 3 devices before I gave up. It wouldn't connect properly to my old 910 - was fine with my 510 though - it also went through batteries like no tomorrow, and would sometimes just not work.

I now have P1 pedals and they are great. Used to have a G3 hub and that was awesome as well.

If I was to suggest a power meter I'd go with some of the suggestions here other than stages.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
jaretj wrote:

http://www.power2max.com/...er-meter-and-cranks/

That is with choosing expedited shipping, chain rings and no BB since I don't know what the OP needs or what tools they have.
Quote Reply

Prev Next