Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PowerTap P1 Died After Transport - Anything to try?
Quote | Reply
I flew to Puerto Rico for the 70.3 this weekend, and put my bike together to find a dead left PowerTap pedal. I found the pedals floating around the bike bag, out of the baggie they were packed in, so I wonder if they were inspected or something. Either way, it's definitely not a battery life issue, but I am getting no lights at all from my left pedal. Anything worth trying to get it running?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1 Died After Transport - Anything to try? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you at least try a new battery? That would always be my first thing to do in case the battery came unseated or discharged.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1 Died After Transport - Anything to try? [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I switched the batteries between the pedals. The batteries are brand new and were not installed during transit.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1 Died After Transport - Anything to try? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow... that's crazy. Even if they inspected them, I can't imagine them doing anything that would cause it not to work.
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1 Died After Transport - Anything to try? [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the C1, so I can't really say much about the P1s, but in the past I had issues with my Stages and sometimes also the C1; whenever I would remove them and re-install them they would just be unable to sync with my head unit. This is what I did:

1. Remove the battery, and leave it off for at least 5 minutes.
  2. Install the battery the wrong way in (reversed) and leave it like that for 30 seconds.
  3. This should basically drain any charge left in the electronics.
  4. Put the battery back in the right way and see what happens.

In the future, transport them without batteries. I think the firmware in the unit detects the movement inside the cage but something makes it crash, so you need to do a hard reset.

Good luck tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Switch battery caps between the two.
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1 Died After Transport - Anything to try? [guscrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've racked the bike, but should be able to try this in the morning. I did try switching the caps as well. Thanks for the suggestions all.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course this won't help you now and you probably came to the same conclusion on your own, but on your next flight, remove the pedals from your bike and pack them separately or in your carry on bag.
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1 Died After Transport - Anything to try? [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, if battery cap swappage doesn't work, on the one not working, try to put the battery in backwards for I think it's a minute, and then go put it in the right way.

This should reset it. I can't quite seem to find the old e-mail I had on it from PowerTap on the procedure. But worth a hail-mary shot. Obviously, don't do anything to the one that you've at least got working.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1 Died After Transport - Anything to try? [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, the PowerTap woke up in transition this AM and connected to my Garmin ... for about 15sec before dying again. I tried the backwards battery thing after that without success. No matter, I had a good ride pacing with HR. Rode a 2:21 on what must have been ~190W, a 7min PR. It was my first half riding a Dimond, seems pretty great!

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just wanted to post a follow-up in case someone finds this thread in the future and it can be of use. I spoke with PowerTap support today, they told me to try Lithium Ion batteries, which is what the pedals are spec'd to. I couldn't find them locally, so I don't know if that is the problem. But I did put the old battery caps on and the pedals started working again. I think the PowerTap support said the battery geometry can be slightly different, so alkaline batteries may not sit properly. Maybe the old caps had different/more spring in them to push the battery to the right spot. Either way, I guess you really can't try *ANYTHING* new on race day.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have just experienced the same issue after flying back from San Fran, but I did pack mine in my case and they remained secure and padded for the whole trip. My pedal will not wake up at all. I've tried two new batteries and it is still not coming online. Just read through this thread and might try the backward battery trick and see what happens. I've reported to PowerTap and waiting on a response.
Quote Reply