Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Questions for scuba divers
Quote | Reply
Short story, I'm moving, downsizing and pulled some stuff out of storage. My scuba gear is some of it that I last used in 1990? I have a aluminum tank, BC and regulators and gauges. I went to a local shop. They told me my tank was no longer good, to recycle it. My gauges and regulators would be best used as trade in to Sherwood, my hoses and BC should be thrown out.

Just looking for any other options or opinions. I don't plan on servicing the stuff, I'll just rent. I'm just surprised that all the fittings on the gear and tank should just be recycled for the brass. He says my Sherwood stuff is worth $120-$150 on a trade in. I've only used all this stuff maybe 3-4 times.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for scuba divers [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What other options were you hoping for with 27 year old unused unserviced gear?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year I was in the same situation. No tank though, but my gear was from circa 1982.

USDivers regulator and gauges and BC.

I sold both on Craigslist. I think for around $50-80 for it all. Guy was going to use it for shallow water river diving. I'm guessing he got the regulator serviced first. Some of that gear lasts forever as long as you replace diaphragms, hoses, lube and service it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The scuba shop is probably correct. Old scuba gear isn't worth a lot. I'd put it up on ebay and see what you can get. That's what I always do. But.....my wife still dives with a 15 year old Sherwood Blizzard reg and swears by it enough that she won't upgrade and she gets it serviced every year. A bit of a contrast to me since I have all fairly new Scuba Pro stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask yourself, if you bought a new mid-range tri bike today, let's say $2,500, why would you think you could sell it for what you paid 25 years from now, regardless of the number of times you rode it?

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for scuba divers [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I was wondering if there's someplace to donate the stuff to or something like that. I'm not thinking about getting money for it. My wife is Jamaican. Her good friend's son is working for Sandals resorts, trying to grow new coral, hunting lion fish. I was just going to give him the stuff, but shipping is too much and now I've learned the tank isn't even usable. I just didn't know if anyone else knew of a program that takes in older gear or uses the trade in options.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for scuba divers [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My reg is a Sherwood Blizzard too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's life support equipment, not a t shirt to donate to Salvation Army. My regs are circa 1999 but I dive 50 or so dives a year and it gets serviced. Send it to Sherwood get the money and send it to your friends son if he needs gear
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of losers responding. Read Trumps. Art of the Deal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW. I'm in Belize and going diving tomorrow. Out of Sittee Point. Any spots I should ask for. Never dove here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tanks that age still sell around my area for 50-100 bucks even if they are out of hydro and vizier. Now there is a brand and about that vintage the alloy they used was weak so that could be why the shop says it is trash. For the bc if it holds air then it works, regs last they just need serviced, but the hoses are done at that age. Likely having to buy new hoses will make the regs worthless. I suspect that the money from sherwood is only if you buy new regs when you trade them in. I would put them up on Craigslist list (tanks are a pain to ship) with an honest listing you will likely get 100 bucks for everything no problem.
Quote Reply