Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I am happy to see the FL governor values the death penalty...
Quote | Reply
And willing to remove an activist prosecutor who isn't with the program.

http://m.baynews9.com/...cott_to_reassig.html

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: I am happy to see the FL governor values the death penalty... [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the very very few times I have supported a decision by Rick Scott.
Quote Reply
Re: I am happy to see the FL governor values the death penalty... [IHOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How could you not in this case? This is as vile of a murder case as they get.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: I am happy to see the FL governor values the death penalty... [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I felt zero pity when they brought that scum in beaten up.
Quote Reply
Re: I am happy to see the FL governor values the death penalty... [IHOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure somebody here agrees with her.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Markieth Lloyd.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
I'm sure somebody here agrees with her.

I agree with Scott removing her as I think she is essentially trying to rewrite the law on her own. Florida has the death penalty as law and if she is not comfortable with that as a prosecutor I'm not sure it is her place to alter that on her own. There is a process in place to have that argument.

However -

What part of her reasoning is wrong?

Ayala said after “extensive and painstaking thought and consideration,” she determined that pursing the death penalty “is not in the best interest of this community or the best interest of justice.”
“Some victims will support and some will surely oppose my decision,” she said. “But I have learned that the death penalty traps many victims, families in a decadeslong cycle of uncertainty, court hearings, appeals and waiting.”

And the mother of one of the victims agrees-

ORLANDO, Fla. - The mother of homicide victim Sade Dixon's mother spoke out Friday in support of State Attorney Aramis Ayala's decision to not seek the death penalty for her daughter's accused killer or anyone else.
"We all need to stand behind (Ayala), She is standing within the confines of the law," Stephanie Dixon-Daniels said in front of the Orange-Osceola State Attorney’s Office in Orlando.

The statements were a change in tone a day after law enforcement and Gov. Rick Scott expressed outrage for Ayala's decision to not pursue capitol punishment for Markeith Loyd.
Loyd is accused of killing his pregnant ex-girlfriend, 24-year-old Dixon on Dec. 13 and Orlando police Lt. Debra Clayton at an Orlando Walmart on Jan. 9. He was arrested on Jan. 17, bringing a nine-day manhunt to an end.
Dixon-Daniels said after the state attorney explained the process involving years of delays she understands life in prison will be the best way for her family to move on.
"I want him dead as anybody else," she said. "But he will die in prison."

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: I am happy to see the FL governor values the death penalty... [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've already given my thoughts on the death penalty with absolute support for it being expanded and the prosecution of such cases being reformed. FL especially needs to fix their system where by a prosecutor can seek the death penalty, which offers publicity and automatic expanded budget, but fail to prove the case and get a consolation prize of a lesser charge.

But putting that aside, unless the consensus is to no pursue death, like a case of armed robbery, that is fine. Otherwise, I think it should always be pursued. Even if half the victims do not agree.

Quote Reply