Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why does no one bitch about St. Patrick's Day?
Quote | Reply
It's blatant cultural appropriation of my people.
Quote Reply
Re: Why does no one bitch about St. Patrick's Day? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's there to bitch about?

Some kids at my high school will dye their hair green. The local greasy spoon will serve green beer. Some guy from Ireland will give Trump a bowl full of clovers. Some family will sit down to a dinner of corned beef and cooked cabbage.

OK, I hate the smell of cooked cabbage, so there's that.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask any bartender. They'll bitch about it at length, and with complete justification.

Seriously, there's a local bar that's generally pretty chill. Just a dive bar. Burgers, beers, they'll have a local band most weeks. Nothing fancy. I go to watch the fights when they're on. Last year I figured I'd hit it up on St. Patrick's Day, because, you know. Wall to wall douchebags.

My bartender is already dreading it.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Why does no one bitch about St. Patrick's Day? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Ask any bartender. They'll bitch about it at length, and with complete justification.

Ask any bar owner. They'll tell the bartender to quit being such a bitch, and with complete justification.

Over-priced shitty beer dyed green. Big money grab.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Largest segment of revelers: 21 - 25 year olds.

Ah, the pride of the young Irish!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Why does no one bitch about St. Patrick's Day? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol. True.

The capitalist owner pigs always win!

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

I never understood how any other nation would voluntarily identify....... oh wait.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had. I idea how big St. Patrick's day was in Germany. This past Sunday there was a parade. It was madness.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its my first as an irishman - whist the government may always have viewed me as irish, i just got my passport - tobesuretobesure...... - so i'm drinking
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Because most of us are too drunk to be offended. Now, shut up and pass the Guiness, none of that speed poured shite either!
Quote Reply
Re: Why does no one bitch about St. Patrick's Day? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

Seriously, there's a local bar that's generally pretty chill. Just a dive bar. Burgers, beers, they'll have a local band most weeks. Nothing fancy. I go to watch the fights when they're on. Last year I figured I'd hit it up on St. Patrick's Day, because, you know. Wall to wall douchebags.

Fucking amateur day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

If you're Irish, you're the one who has to bitch.

Pretty sure I've got some Irish in me too, but I'm not going to bitch.
Quote Reply
Re: Why does no one bitch about St. Patrick's Day? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

Ask any bar owner. They'll tell the bartender to quit being such a bitch, and with complete justification.

Over-priced shitty beer dyed green. Big money grab.
Owner might have justification but he'd be wrong. Bartending since it relies on tips for wage means you can go to work and essentially not get paid if the wrong crowd is there. Which St Patrick's day usually brings out.
Also it's extra liability on the owner since it is typically an ameteur day in the bar so you have to worry a little bit more about who is there and what they're going to do.
working St Patrick's Day in a bar sucks.

Erin go bragh

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Why does no one bitch about St. Patrick's Day? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sure the bar owners love it but the employees hate it. For me that ship has sailed and don't do that scene now. I might have a green beer or guiness at home to celebrate as I am Irish but that is the extent of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Why does no one bitch about St. Patrick's Day? [ericallenboyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm definitely jaded. One too many Pattys Day behind the mahagony.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Why does no one bitch about St. Patrick's Day? [MikeH in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikeH in MD wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

Fucking amateur day.

This.

We have two bars within walking distance of my house that are part of the "Erin Express", a bus that basically loops around all the Irish bars in the area that participate on the day. The intersection between the two bars also has a trolley stop with service into Philly or out to other suburbs and that whole area is a shitshow of drunken stupidity the whole afternoon and night.
Quote Reply
Re: Why does no one bitch about St. Patrick's Day? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
MikeH in MD wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

Fucking amateur day.

This.

We have two bars within walking distance of my house that are part of the "Erin Express", a bus that basically loops around all the Irish bars in the area that participate on the day. The intersection between the two bars also has a trolley stop with service into Philly or out to other suburbs and that whole area is a shitshow of drunken stupidity the whole afternoon and night.

Admit it, you're just jealous because St. Patrick left Wales to become the Irish patron saint, and now they get to celebrate and you don't... ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Honestly St. Patrick's day seems to be less of a day of the Irish and more of day of the drunks, although I understand there's a fair amount of overlap in the two.

Most if not all the people I've known who are way into it probably had a drinking problem to one degree or another.
Quote Reply

Prev Next