Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Watches for the rest of us?
Quote | Reply
I know about all the expensive watches, and may justify buying one at some point. But, I'd like a nice, professional looking watch in the $300 to $500 range.

I prefer a strap/band with a buckle.

Suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Watches for the rest of us? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seiko or Citizen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just want to point out that you are breaking the rules.

To post about watches you have to,

A) mention how you are willing to spend up to $10,000,
B) refuse to lower yourself to buy used,
C) are willing to travel across the globe to find a deal,
D) say you need something to match your $2,500 suits,
E) all of the above

Stop embarrassing yourself...
Last edited by: Sanuk: Mar 16, 17 14:01
Quote Reply
Re: Watches for the rest of us? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice. :) I think I can amend my mistake by saying that I just need something that is a step up from my Timex Ironman. That should impress the watch snobs.

Oooh. I just had a brilliant idea. I will setup a GoFundMe account so people can contribute money so I can buy a $10k watch.

<edited to add> I do enjoy reading the watch threads and appreciate people who want and can afford a fine watch. It sounds as if quality watches are probably better investments than other luxury items and the bottom line is - it is your money, buy what you like.
Last edited by: rick_pcfl: Mar 16, 17 14:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are making a comeback.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tissot or Hamilton might fit the bill.
Quote Reply
Re: Watches for the rest of us? [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:

+1 on Tissot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I can amend my mistake by saying that I just need something that is a step up from my Timex Ironman.

Now I feel bad, I'm wearing my Timex Ironman right now.

Quote Reply
Re: Watches for the rest of us? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I think I can amend my mistake by saying that I just need something that is a step up from my Timex Ironman.

Now I feel bad, I'm wearing my Timex Ironman right now.

Snob! Had to get in a backdoor brag didn't you?
Last edited by: rick_pcfl: Mar 16, 17 14:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe a Shinola
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went through this exercise a few years ago, had some crap Fossil watch from college that was my only 'fancy' watch. I posted a thread on here I believe, pretty much same parameters ($300-$500) and I did a ton of research outside of here.

I wound up buying a Citizens (https://smile.amazon.com/...ge?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

And a Tissot (https://smile.amazon.com/...F&_encoding=UTF8

The Citizens gave me fits to set but once I figured it out it's been great. Both have been fantastic and I've gotten a ton of compliments. I love the Citizens because it looks great when I'm in jeans in a t-shirt and also a suit, hell I wore it for my wedding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Festina?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm seeing a lot of watches that are in line with what I'm looking for.

Another question. I'm considering whether I would need a chronograph. This probably won't be an everyday all day watch, but there may be times where I want to keep track of elapsed time.

Anyone have thoughts as to the usefulness of a chronograph?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get any watch you want with this one neat trick!

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
I know about all the expensive watches, and may justify buying one at some point. But, I'd like a nice, professional looking watch in the $300 to $500 range.

Suggestions?

I recently picked up a Hamilton for about that. Nice looking dress watch. Simple and classic.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something "like" this: http://www.ebay.com/...5:g:g5IAAOSwWxNYplZe

Many beautiful vintage dress watches out there since everyone is buying boat anchors for their wrists.
Quote Reply
Re: Watches for the rest of us? [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:

I agree.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:

Suggestions?

Normally I wear my Timex IM but I picked up a classic Mickey Mouse watch off ebay for about $150. It is quite large and Mickey is very noticeable. I wear it for those times to make a fashion statement around the watch snobs. I also have a vintage Swiss watch that is very nice. Can't remember the name at the moment. Another option is those Chinese copies. My brother picked up a couple of fake TagH's that look identical to his real ones. He wears the fakes on most days and only the real one for those business suit days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Victorianox falls squarely in that price range for a nice durable everyday watch. Here's my current lineup, $350 (retail $600) and $200, respectively.

For a classic style beater watch, the Timex Weekender series ($40ish) is really sharp.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shinola has had my attention, lately. They're made in the USA, which I know doesn't mean jack in horology, but if that's something you're after...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm seeing a lot of watches that are in line with what I'm looking for.

Another question. I'm considering whether I would need a chronograph. This probably won't be an everyday all day watch, but there may be times where I want to keep track of elapsed time.

Anyone have thoughts as to the usefulness of a chronograph?

I picked up this one at christmas: https://goo.gl/8sdWHJ

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMHO this may be one of the best value-for-money on a gentleman's automatic watch is the Seiko SARB033 & SARB035.
https://www.amazon.com/...matic/dp/B001AE9XS0/

Seiko's 6R15 movement in this $300 watch is comparable to the Swiss ETA 2824 movement that you'll find in some $2000+ Swiss watches (i.e. Breitling Superocean)

Check out some of the 'watch geek' forums to get your bearings. And if you're willing to spend a little more (i.e. $2,000) consider a Grand Seiko. You'll get a watch with movement and class as good (if not better) than a $10k+ Swiss Omega or even Rolex.

https://monochrome-watches.com/...b033-fully-reviewed/
http://forums.watchuseek.com/...3-spirit-257162.html

There are other JDM automatics from Seiko that are also good alternatives. JDM = Japan Domestic Market. The Japanese make excellent automatic movement but for some reason only keep it domestic. The movements they mass export are meant to compete with the cheap flood of Chinese and other brands. Avoid the mass export models.

Another option is this: https://www.amazon.com/...bdial/dp/B0066GKTM6/
Its got good quality Japanese movement (Citizen/Miyota 9132) and is oh, so very, very good lookin'.
Junkers is an old German brand, best known for their aircraft. During WWII they were appropriated by the Nazis (as were many German firms) and made the famed Junkers Stuka dive bombers.

If brand-name appeal is your goal, you'll generally only find quartz in the $500 price range you stated. Quartz - Why bother? Sure you can get a 'pretty' Swiss Tissot or American Bulova or something similar for that price. I have quartz watches from both brands. They sit in a box.

There are also 'Hybrid' watches - solar quartz, mecha-quartz, etc. They are known by names like 'Ecodrive', 'Kinetc', 'Solar'. They are all available in your price range (some well below it) and a cool in theory, but all have some sort of battery and ultimately lack the beauty of a mechanical movement watch.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Last edited by: Guffaw: Mar 16, 17 18:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.momentumwatch.com/product/steelix-steel/

Spend the extra $35 and get the sapphire crystal. I have the nylon band, use it as a beater, and it holds up very well. Another buddy bought one and wore it on deployment, held up well.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: Watches for the rest of us? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why Quartz? Because unlike an automatic, a Quartz actually works?
Quote Reply
Re: Watches for the rest of us? [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And a $10 walmart quartz works perfectly well and is super acurate.
But if you're going to buy something mechanically beautiful, a wonder of human ingenuity and precission, and the only acceptable piece of semi-ostentatious jewellery for a gentleman, then for god's sake get a decent mechanical watch.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply

Prev Next