Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Spring Ahead (March 13) Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Spring Ahead (March 13) Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goals this week: day off from running done, 6 swim did 5, at least 1 bike sorta, rode the stationary bike at the gym

I ran 6 times for 59.4 miles, swam 5 times for 8700 yds, and rode 7.5 miles on the stationary bike at the gym.
My goal this week is less than or equal to 6 runs and do a better job of varying pace and distance. Swim goal is 6 swims and bike goal is 2x.

I had a really good and productive week of work last week, so that was good :-) hope all the womens are well. I am totally tired from the time change!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Spring Ahead (March 13) Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on the productive week! I'm not tired as such from the time change but my body feels a little discombobulated, like "How is it 11am already?"

Last week was my cutback week and the goal was 5 rides for 5h30m. I did 4 rides for 4h30m. I skipped my ride on Thursday BUT had a very successful nap on the couch instead. I also had my appointment with my exercise therapist and managed two lifting sessions (probably why I needed the nap on Thursday). I found out that I am terrible at starting chainsaws, pumps etc. I managed the chainsaws in the end but not the circular saw or the porta-pump. Time for some upper body strength work I guess!

This week: ideally, 6 rides for 8h 30m. This winter training cycle, I have been cycling 5 day/week with M/F as non-cycling days. The plans I've been following have had easy F rides but I found that doing them left me in a sorry state for the Saturday quality rides. The next stage of training also has F rides and even including them, my TSS and hours for the week will be less than I've been doing recently. SO, all that to say, I'm going to try giving Friday rides a go again but will ditch them if Saturday still sucks as a result. Fingers crossed for the FTP test tomorrow.

I have some food goals this week: portion control, no snacking just because I'm bored and no alcohol.

Oh, and I treated myself to a Le Creuset cast iron pan - it should arrive tomorrow and I am very excited!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Spring Ahead (March 13) Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are crushing the cycling!

I love le creuset - all the pretty colors! Someday I'm going to treat myself to a Dutch oven.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Spring Ahead (March 13) Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My sister-in-law bought us a LeCreuset dutch oven one Christmas back when we still lived in England. I use it all the time, but it is a monster (28cm/6.7L) and very deep so I bought a smaller braiser to replace our most used casserole/skillet that is on its last legs. It is totally worth the investment. My mom treated herself to a whole set :O - life goals?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, hello. Thanks for getting us started, tigerchik.

I was pretty mopey after my race last week but I'm getting over it. I'm doing a 70.3 in a month so I am in the process of getting remotivated and get rid of my creeping self doubt. It was my birthday last week so I went home to upstate New York for a few days after some work travel-- getting to spend time with my family and having a good talk with my Dad helped cheer me up and put things into perspective. I also across Jack Daniel's running rules (which I knew of but had forgotten about) and one his maxims is that bad races can be a fluke but a good run or race is never a fluke because it's what we are capable of. That helped me too.

Since I was traveling last week, my plan was daily p/rehab, 3 strength sessions, 2 or 3 runs, 2 swims, and 1 or 2 bikes:

I did my daily p/rehab and lifted three times. I didn't have access to a pool on the road so I only swam once before I left for my trip. I did a trainer session before I left for New York but because of snow and ice, I ended up not renting a bike in New York. I borrowed my dad's old bike and trainer to ride on Sunday. It was a comedy or errors and I spent more time setting it up and trying to get sorted than actually riding it -- I'll give myself 1.5 bikes for the week :D I ended up running 3 times last week and 2 were beautiful, snowy, single digit runs while I was home. That was nice.

This week my plan is daily p/rehab, 3 strength sessions, 2 or 3 runs, 3 swims, 3 bikes and a yoga session. This weekend, I'm going out to hike and camp in the wildflowers so I am hoping to do my long run somewhere spectacular.

I hope everyone has a good week.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy day ladies! Great week last week, except for Thursday when my allergies EXPLODED. Wow. I've never had allergies like that. But, a little Allegra-D later and I'm back at it with the nose hose turned off.

Finally pulled the trigger on signing up for June Lake 70.3 so I'm excited for that. And, even more exciting, my OLY in 2 weeks got moved from Cayucos (ocean swim) to Lopez Lake (lake swim), which makes me happy to no end. I was really dreading the ocean swim, not because I fear the ocean (I surf, regularly), but because Cayucos has sharks - no kidding. I've seen 3 GW sharks there in the last 12 months. Besides, this race has always been at Lopez so I'm glad it got moved back. Oddly, the race was moved to Cayucos because of the drought and that there was no water in Lopez. But now, we've had so much rain that the road for bike route in Cayucos has been washed out because of the rain. So, back to Lopez which now has water! YESSS!

Ran x4 (goal was 7)
Bike x2 (goal was 3)
Swim x1 (goal was 3)

I've totally jacked up my left hand so I can't put any weight on it on my hoods while riding and it hurts to swim. So, ice, rest, etc., until it is healed.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Spring Ahead (March 13) Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey SLO, good to hear from 'ya. Got worried there when you didn't post any runs in the challenge for a few days. I'm now up on you by 11 ;-)

Speaking of which, had my biggest "run" week in four years--since the back injury--28.5 miles at 12:17/mile. One of those was a six-miler yesterday. Also got in one short swim and 42 easy miles on the trainer. This week I'm feeling modestly hopeful I'll make it to the start of my May Half.

SoCalT, I know you can
Quote:
get rid of my creeping self doubt
. From an early age us womens are given many messages to distrust our selves, our bodies and our experiences. Actually, long course tri helped me overcome some of that. You can do it!

Have a good week everyone!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Spring Ahead (March 13) Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tri3 -- I appreciate the words of wisdom. I had a pretty disappointing college experience (I came in with high expectations and had some good runs but ended up on the disabled list more often than at the finish line) and I avoided competitive anything for a decade+. I think now that I'm racing again I am sorting through some of the feelings of shame and self doubt I should have addressed as twenty year old.

Having to back off in this last race (and getting hurt last summer) both hit me pretty hard emotionally because I felt like I was living the same negative story I'd been trying to "untell" myself when I started competing again. Needless to say, it's been a process. I appreciate your real talk :)

My next two races are 70.3 distance in April and May -- I'm focusing on them and trying to find my mojo.

Congratulations on your progress -- I hope your training continues to goes well for your May half.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Spring Ahead (March 13) Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I absolutely love my Le Creuset for stews and roasts, enjoy!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Spring Ahead (March 13) Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meditation is a great skill to learn for managing performance anxiety (and many other life challenges as well).

A good start is "Happiness: A guide to developing life's most important skill," a 2 cd set by Matthieu Ricard. Ricard is a French biochemist who became a Buddhist monk. The cds are not "how to." Rather, they are an explanation of the elements of building inner peace. I frequently go back to this, especially when I feel the need to ground myself in what is truly important in life--happiness!
http://www.soundstrue.com/.../happiness-4047.html

Another good resource is "Meditation Oasis," a website by Mary and Richard Maddux. Has podcasts (free), cds and apps for meditation. You can jump right in with this site. I've used meditations from this site for pain management, and difficulty sleeping.
http://www.meditationoasis.com/podcast/

I'm not the "hippy" type, so I surprised myself going down this road. I was introduced to meditation when I did a short course of cognitive therapy for pain management.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ooh, Le Creuset...my darling husband treated me to a 13" skillet and a saucier one Christmas, then bought me the matching spoon rest (all cherry), silicone handle sleeve and "cool tools". I call them my stove jewelry! I cook almost exclusively in cast iron - have quite an assortment, though nothing else Le Creuset (mostly Lodge non-enameled plus my King Kooker Dutch oven that I just got last summer). I even have a pair of 4" skillets I use for making individual frittatas, giant brownies, giant cookies, oversize pancakes, etc.

Last week's goals:
run x 5: win with 7
swim x 1: win with 2
bike x 1: win
core/strength x 4: win
..and I foam rolled again!

Winter came back. I am not impressed. I ran in a skirt after work on Wednesday in a crazy windstorm (but 8c/46f), then by Saturday the high for the day was -8c/18f.

I went back to Hydrocut for the first time since the fall, and despite the bone-chilling cold there were very slippery muddy spots where the sun had warmed the ground. Most of it was still frozen, though, and lumpy with bike tire tracks and footprints hidden under the snow and leaves.

Of course, the sun disappeared and the wind picked up even more less than an hour into my run, just as I was reaching the backcountry section where there were a ton of downed trees.

I was back there for an hour and a half or so, listening to the creak and groan of trees straining to stay upright in the wind. Then the sun set, so I had to boot it back out to the front - I had intended to be out for 4-ish hours but ended it at 3h35m because it was just too sketchy to be out there in full darkness. Not to mention my mittens froze solid as the temperature dropped even more..

I only managed to cover a paltry 23km, but having given my damaged ankle a good wrench in about the least-accessible portion of the trail system, I was just happy to get out safely. I only needed my headlamp for the last 15mins or so, which is a good thing since I had trouble spotting ankle-rolling obstacles even in full sunlight!

Sunday was sunny again but still very cold as I ran up the Royal Rec trail in Guelph to GORBA. More slippery mud and frozen, lumpy mud made for a lot of hiking again.

Despite the sun, the wind off Guelph Lake was vicious - I was glad to be thoroughly bundled up.

Managed to spare my ankle pretty well by moving slowly through the trails but opened it up and ran the paved Downtown Trail to get to our friends' house for a get-together in the afternoon.

Not super happy about only getting in 18km (in 2h20m) but I decided I'd see if I could do it on water alone, which went fine - I'd had a bagel with egg & peameal bacon for breakfast about 90mins before I started, which thankfully sat ok. I felt a little hungry toward the end but not too tired...or at least no more tired than when I started, because I got bugger-all for sleep Saturday night (exacerbated by the time change).

Hate that I didn't even make 80km total for last week, but I did spend almost 6hrs of moving time on the trails over the weekend so I'll just have to live with it. Have a ~5hr run with a friend planned for Saturday so hopefully I'll be able to get some good mileage in this week, but a howling snowstorm came in yesterday and made Monday's double run very tough. My left hip/glute is very angry with me and I'm hoping that today will go a little easier, though it hasn't actually stopped snowing and blowing yet.

This week's goals:
run x 5
swim x 1
bike x 1
core/strength x 4
foam roll x 1

Quote | Reply
I would save my Le Creusets from a fire. I have a skillet I use nearly every day and a small Dutch oven I don't use nearly enough.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Spring Ahead (March 13) Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While the food lover in me totally gets what you're talking about,the firefighter and fire safety educator in me says "NOOOOOO". ;-)

It's here by the way (and it's HUUUUGE) and even though it is totally unsuitable for making chilli, I made chilli in it anyway.
Last edited by: Scheherazade: Mar 15, 17 8:10
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Spring Ahead (March 13) Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I also across Jack Daniel's running rules (which I knew of but had forgotten about) and one his maxims is that bad races can be a fluke but a good run or race is never a fluke because it's what we are capable of. That helped me too.

I like that!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Spring Ahead (March 13) Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
stove jewelry!

hee hee!

Quote Reply