Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes?
Quote | Reply
White papers? Every manufacturer stating it's slightly faster? Pube's upcoming test? AeroCamp results? ERO Velodrome? Tom A. finally giving the approval? We can go around and around and around in circles about this but what will it take for YOU to convert?

Just curious as someone who rides a 2011 P2 and is wanting a new bike next year.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Mar 9, 17 9:42
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing. I hate the way they look. Besides, I've never been in a situation on my tri bike where I thought the stopping power of rim brakes was inadequate.
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simple - when a bike I lust after happens to have disc brakes, that's when I'll switch.

Pube's test? lol, right..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A clear, compelling and convincing argument that has yet to be made.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can accept disc brakes on anyone's bike, but I don't want them or need them on my bike. Just don't need them. I barely use the brakes that I do have :-)
I am hoping that when the time comes that the bike that I want doesn't have them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My biggest concern is ease of use/maintenance. I have disc brakes on my fat bike and had them on my mountain bike and they've always been a bit of a pain in the ass to maintain...primarily to keep from rubbing. Even the slightest rub drives me nuts and I've never been in a position where I felt I needed them so the potential utility isn't enough to outweigh my pain in the ass experiences.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let others be beta testers. When majority of you are on disks, I'll switch to disks too, but only next time I'm buying a bike. I would not go out of my way to "upgrade" because it isn't an upgrade.

If disks don't catch on, then I don't want them either.

Why? Wheel swaps if my race wheels are damaged. That's why.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
White papers? Every manufacturer stating it's slightly faster? Pube's upcoming test? AeroCamp results? ERO Velodrome? Tom A. finally giving the approval? We can go around and around and around in circles about this but what will it take for YOU to convert?

Just curious as someone who rides a 2011 P2 and is wanting a new bike next year.

Whenever I am in the market for a new bike (~1-3 years from now depending what mfg's do) and I can no longer buy a superbike with rim brakes.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really don't understand disc brakes on tri (or road for that matter) bikes. It seems like a solution without a problem. I've spent a LOT of miles in mountains (1000s of miles in Northern Colorado)...I just can't ever recall wishing that I had more stopping power than I was able to obtain using my rim brakes. Even doing the 100 mile loop to the top of trail-ridge-road and back, in the rain...never once. Just. don't. get. it.

Now that I'm in Texas, the only time I touch the brakes is at stop lights.

With the extra components, cost, weight, complexity, and presumed aero tax...where is the upside?

I admit I'm only recently back in the sport after a long hiatus, and haven't done any research on this topic yet. So, maybe I'm missing something.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Mar 9, 17 10:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My next bike will be disc brakes... at least five years from now, when discs will have become the defacto standard for all bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

I'll accept it as soon as my Andean gets here.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about highly reliable braking on long steep technical downhills where neither the disc rotors, nor the calipers, nor the pads, nor the hydraulic fluid fail at any time in any realistic situation?

In other words, if a disc brake system can work as the primary brakes on a tandem (and currently they can't -- they fail catastrophically), then they'll work on a single rider bike too.

Finally, will such reliable disc brakes be more aerodynamic than state-of-the art caliper brakes? If yes, then I will be stunned. But I will accept them for tri.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Mar 9, 17 10:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

them not being a ridiculous money grab.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, I need to be in the market for a new bike. Second, I would need there to be no bikes I wanted to be without rim brakes. Third, I would have to be able to get disc wheels for racing without losing too much money on selling my rim brake which would be near impossible if the switch actually hits mainstream. I don't think I have an issue with disc brakes but I have an issue with need to get new wheels along with a new bike if I made the switch.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a observation that has not been mentioned. At least I have not read of this on any thread regarding disc brakes on road/tri bikes. I was in Seaside, FL last year and friend of mine brought her Mtn Bike over to ride the trails. 1/2 thru the ride she squeezed the rear brake and the rear brake caliper froze up closed on the rear rim. Rear wheel was locked and could not turn the wheel. Had to bleed the line to relieve the pressure and the rear braked unlocked. She dropped it off at local bike shop and their response was the lack of use and the build up of moisture inside the line cause the rear brake to seize.

Can u imagine hitting your brakes at the turn around at IMH and this happens?

My take on disc brakes are this:
1) Timming is bad...people just had to upgrade wheels from 10spd to 11spd not to long ago. Now u have to upgrade wheels again but add a new frame and new hydraulics.
2) Frame manufactures rushed to make frames work for disc...for example: look at Cervelo R3 disc(lets just drill a hole in the side of fork to run the brake line...that took a lot of thought) Other companies did it to.
Frame manufactures still have not made a frame/fork that's seamless to accommodate the disc brake itself.
3) Frame/wheel manufactures have not made frame/fork/wheelsets/disc brakes that weigh the same or less than rim brake frame/fork/wheelsets/brakes.

2) and 3) should have been addressed before the big push to change in my opinion but that would have cost the manufactures money.

Also, if manufactures are going to do disc why not make the frames accommodate potentially the next increase in cogs from 11 speed to 12 speed and above?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your question is worded poorly. I have accepted that their are disc brakes on tri bikes. Not accepting it would be like me saying that the world is flat.

Now, what would it take for me to actually buy one of these things? Well, I'd have to want a certain bike that just happened to have disc brakes. And not only would I have to want it, I'd have to want it enough to deal with selling all of my non-disc wheels and buying the new more expensive disc versions.

I don't see that happening anytime in the next 5 years. But that may be just because all of the new disc tri bikes out there right now are uninspiring.
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
when discs will have become the defacto standard for all bikes.

That's when I will switch. When I don't have choice.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
Simple - when a bike I lust after happens to have disc brakes, that's when I'll switch.

Pube's test? lol, right..

Pretty much this, and to actually have enough money to buy a new bike, regardless of which brakes it has.
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think my problem is I want a new bike in 2018. Specialized will most likely have released their bike by then. Why would I want to buy a P5 frame when the P5-X and all the other bikes with disc brakes are out?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I think my problem is I want a new bike in 2018. Specialized will most likely have released their bike by then. Why would I want to buy a P5 frame when the P5-X and all the other bikes with disc brakes are out?

Because it's faster.
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
BryanD wrote:

Because it's faster.

Without data right now, that's all subjective.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For others, I'm willing to accept them now. I see no reason not to.

For me, it'll take a miracle. That miracle would be a free upgrade of my Reynolds RZR 92 wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
How about highly reliable braking on long steep technical downhills where neither the disc rotors, nor the calipers, nor the pads, nor the hydraulic fluid fail at any time in any realistic situation?

In other words, if a disc brake system can work as the primary brakes on a tandem (and currently they can't -- they fail catastrophically), then they'll work on a single rider bike too.

^ This.

Also, I have not purchased a complete bike in nearly 20 years, parts and frames just get upgraded. Switching to discs would require completely starting over, which I can't really afford at this point, even if there were a disc bike that I wanted...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

There is not much aero data, but there is considerable failure data.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Grill wrote:
BryanD wrote:

Because it's faster.

The data that Cervelo has released so far shows that the P5x is only faster when the competition has been severely kneecapped. If you really think that disc brakes are faster then Mr. Tumnus is slipping something into your tea.
Quote Reply

Prev Next