Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Feb. 27 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 27 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm not really in a headspace to set workout goals right now - the key thing is to Not Get Hurt.

Goal achieved!

I ran 7 times for 51 miles, and swam 4 times for 6400 yds.
Goal this week = day off from running; swim 6x. (One swim done!)

I am exhausted from traveling, and emotionally exhausted from the job stuff - but I did sign a contract to work in the maths dept at Oklahoma State University today.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's exciting - congratulations!!! When will you start?

We are almost home (2 more days of driving) from our epic road trip. Saw the Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Las Vegas and lots more. Added 4 more States to my list and too many kms to count.

Can't wait to get home to my freshly painted house and my puppy.

To keep it exercise related - I walked a ton in Vegas, climbed some sand dunes, did a few small hikes and swam in a bunch of different pools (including backwards in a lazy river - harder than I thought it would be).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yay, congrats on the job contract! Details?

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, Ladies!

Didn't really nail goals last week. Boo. Hubby had a dormant health issue flare up on Tuesday and it derailed the whole week. I felt like I was trying to catch up on lost sleep all week plus doctors and labs and pharmacy. Uck.

Run x5 (goal was 7)
Swim x2 (goal was 2)
Bike x0 (goal was 2)
Total time 3:41 (does that even count??)
Goal was 9:00

I'm trying to catch up with Tri3 in the 100/100 challenge. I'm at 68/100 so far which has me in 47th place. Only 24 days left in the challenge so time to knock out a few doubles.

I normally don't ramp up my volume until mid-March because of the nature of my work schedule (I'm a CPA, and its tax season). I'm looking forward to getting past the next two weeks so I can get back in my grove.

Goal this week:

Run x9 (yikes!)
Bike x3
Swim x3
Total Time 11:15

I really want to nail at least 10:00 this week. I've been easing so much crap at work I want to flush it out. I've just been so lazy with food and it is just so easy to grab stuff out of the break room. I was doing great yesterday until hubby wanted to go to lunch together (which never happens because of work). It was great to sit outside and have lunch together.

Happy training!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done TC - both on not getting hurt and on the job! Awesome news!!!

Anna - nice work on the rides. Are you riding outside? I can't remember what you said your goal race was, do remind me!

My goals were 5rides /8h50m. And I did it all! It was pretty tiring and there was some napping involved but in general I fuelled well and got my workouts done earlier in the day.

This is my last big week before a cutback week and the end of the trainerroad "build" program. The plan is 5 rides for a total of 9h15m. At the weekend I have a 2.5 hour and 3 hour ride back to back. It seems like a lot mentally so I'm just focusing on taking it one ride at a time.

Dan is out of town this week so that's tough for me - I've planned things to keep me busy. Last night I was hauling wet hose for 4 hours so we'll see how today's ride goes!

We've also booked a trip to San Diego - it's for a conference but it's over our anniversary (just after Easter). All you Southern California womens will have to fill me in on where to eat/drink/entertain myself during the day. I'm already contemplating renting a bike but not sure I want to ride alone in a new place - maybe I'll just take a cruiser from the hotel and go on the beachfront?!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 27 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should go to Millenium Place and swim against the lazy river there! My swim coach used to make me do it to force me to keep my legs up - the instant they dropped I'd get swept away. I've also done it at our local pool when the slide has been running (when nobody was on it) - the flow of water off the slide can be quite powerful.
Last edited by: Scheherazade: Feb 28, 17 7:34
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 27 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
That's exciting - congratulations!!! When will you start?

July 24. I am hoping I can still run the community summer camp in Maine for a few weeks before that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats, TC! I am sure that everyone who's a longtime STer is as thrilled as I am for you -- it's like we watched you grow up! :)

I had the most amazing week at TriCamp. Swimming, biking, running every day, unbelievable sponsor support, a private tour of TriSports retail and warehouse, the Cannondale Pro bus. But the best things were the most outstanding coaching ever, and thirty or so new best friends. Experience of a lifetime.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 27 Edition [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriCamp, cool! Where were you and who was coaching?

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 27 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It started as a challenge with my cousin - the competitive gene is strong... Then it was a quick way to get in a workout between laps with the kid hanging on my neck. I really need to figure out a plan to get back in the water regularly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CONGRATULATIONS tigerchik! This is wonderful news and a contract was just the update I was hoping for. OSU is lucky to have you :D
Safe travels, edbikebabe!
Good work on your build and happy climbing, Anna s!
SLOGoing progress is nonlinear, so don't fret -- I hope your load this week isn't too taxing <groan>
Good work nailing all those goals, Scheherazade!
Tell us more about TriCamp please, Gee.

Last week was pretty good -- things got moved around a little because of a US holiday but I did my daily p/rehab, 2 of 3 strength sessions, 1 run (10X hill repeats, woof!), 1 desperately needed yoga class, 2 pool swims, 1 ocean swim (FINALLY! Also, 52F is cold) and 2 trainer rides and 1 brick -- I missed my swim/bike brick because my shoulder was feeling a little funky but I did a bike/run brick. The bike/run brick was my first time running off the bike since my last race in December but since I'm racing this weekend I figured I should probably practice that. Oh yeah, I'm racing this weekend -- it's an Oly in the desert and is a VERY similar course under VERY similar conditions to the Oly I raced in December. It's not an important race but it should be a good chance (read: clean-ish data) to see the impact of the last three months of training.

This week it's 2 strength sessions, 1 run (hills), 2 swims, yoga, 2 bikes (trainer), and then a race. I'm not really tapering per se more like a deloading -- my strength training is lighter weights and I'm keeping all triathlon training to under an hour.

Oh, and so far my Garmin Vector pedals are giving me absolutely completely useless crazy data. I'm going to get some help to calibrate them and compare them on the CompuTrainer tomorrow.

Have a great week ladies!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 27 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SoCalTricurious wrote:
I hope your load this week isn't too taxing <groan>

I'm not ashamed to admit I sniggered.

Hope the race goes well! Looking forward to hearing about it next week!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like the womens kicked a lot of ass last week - great job!

Last week's goals:
run x 5: win with 7 for 75.6km
swim x 1: win
bike x 1: win
core/strength x 3: win
..and I foam rolled again! Wooo!

Saturday afternoon I ventured down to one of my favourite but most daunting places to run - Dundas Valley Conservation Area. It's stunningly beautiful, with the Bruce Trail winding through it, but I got a late start and the terrain is a bit unforgiving at times. It's also the site of the 100k I'll be running in just under 3 months.

Some of the trails - like this main loop - are blissfully uncomplicated. My ankle was iffy all last week so I was hoping to give it an easier day, if almost 3.5hrs of trail running while far from race weight can ever be considered "easy".

Looking to the right from the footbridge pictured above. This is one of my favourite places within 100km of my house; breathtaking even in the dull colours of winter on an overcast day.

I wanted to check out the new course for the Sulphur Springs races (it's a 20km loop that changed slightly for this year - I did the 50k on the old loop in 2015), but couldn't resist taking some of the side trails along the way.

The Canterbury Falls side trail is just obligatory for me when I'm down here. The windy day and threatening skies meant I had it almost all to myself, and left the falls behind just as the snow showers began.

This descent to the Sulphur Creek bridge would have been almost impassable due to slippery mud either the day before or the day after I was there. As it was, I picked my clumsy way down very carefully.

Sulphur Creek was swollen with meltwater and moving fast. I, however, was not - I started the Headwaters Trail lollipop just as the sun set, having to turn on my headlamp before making the descent on the South side through the footprinted mud.

Both of my ankles took a beating as the snow continued to fall, with full darkness descending long before I began the climb up Martin Road to make my way out. It took me 3h22m of moving time (I was out there almost 4hrs total) to cover 25.5km, leaving me thankful that I'll have 30hrs to complete the 100k.

With a 15k flat rail trail recovery run on Sunday, a double yesterday (6k + 7k) and the 5-6k I'll be running on my lunch break in a few minutes, I'll have over 290km in the bank for February - over 520km YTD. March should be an even bigger month, and I'm hoping that accompanied by some tweaking of nutrition will help me drop some of the winter insulation before things get real in April.

This week's goals:
run x 5
swim x 1
bike x 1
core/strength x 4

Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm trying to catch up with Tri3 in the 100/100 challenge.

Now's your chance. My back blew up last week, ending my streak. After loading up on painkillers and muscle relaxers for a couple of days, on Sunday I went for the minimum 30 minutes. 20 minutes into the run my nose started dripping blood. The bleeding stopped as soon as I did. Freaked me out. :-(

Today I started losing faith that I could make it to the start line of my May Half. My PT told me she had not, so I'm hanging onto that.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Anna s: Feb 28, 17 11:50
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
TriCamp, cool! Where were you and who was coaching?

Eight days in Tucson, Coach Andy Potts, ably assisted by all his sponsors and some local mechanics and ride leaders, including Slowman's BFF Paul Thomas. The whole thing was first-rate, experience of a lifetime. Some lurkers were in attendance -- maybe they'll chime in here and provide more details, or I can offer specifics. Anyone looking for an amazing opportunity, go to the next one and/or join Andy's team.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 27 Edition [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, we are! Although I mainly grew up in Bangladesh and only moved to the UK when I went to university. We moved to Canada nearly 5 years ago. How long have you been in Germany?

Also, 12h30m on the trainer - kudos to you!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 27 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
Quote:
I'm trying to catch up with Tri3 in the 100/100 challenge.

Now's your chance. My back blew up last week, ending my streak. After loading up on painkillers and muscle relaxers for a couple of days, on Sunday I went for the minimum 30 minutes. 20 minutes into the run my nose started dripping blood. The bleeding stopped as soon as I did. Freaked me out. :-(

Today I started losing faith that I could make it to the start line of my May Half. My PT told me she had not, so I'm hanging onto that.

Yikes!!!! I wondered what happened to you and why you were suddenly within reach. I blew my back up once and I thought I was done for months and them all of a sudden I was magically okay again a few days later. I would never have guessed it, so don't give in to helplessness yet! So strange about the nose bleed. That would totally whack me out too.

You better get back to health soon because I'm coming for your slot on the leader board!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TC - HUGE congrats, that's awesome news.

I have been busy but loving the old-new job. Plus skating has been crazy - all the end of season meets... so my bad for not being around.

Last week, rode 4x including on my new bike - a Specialized CruX E5 1x cross bike. (40T x 11-32) Crazy awesome. This will become new cx bike/commuter, the old Olmo from 2002 will be stripped and retired. :-(

Edit: Pic of new bike - mine's the shiny silver one (the teal cages match the teal highlights on our kit). And yes the reflectors and pie plate are gone lol.

Also skated 3x and had a meet - first in 3 months - and I didn't race so well, to be expected really.

This week: Provincial Short track champs all weekend. Skate 2x on top of that. Ride EZ/short 2x. Not much else. Be rested for the meet (I wasn't for the last one).

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Last edited by: AndyPants: Mar 1, 17 15:37
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 27 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Game on!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So many womens kicking butt in and out of triathlon. Yay to you all!

Midtown Miles wrote:
It's race week! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!! I'm doing the Gasparilla Ultra Challenge in Florida this weekend (15K and 5K Saturday, half marathon and 8K Sunday), having only gotten in a month ago after being on the waiting list.

I just got back into town yesterday and am still catching up at home and now at work (and Slowtwitch, haha). The weekend went wonderfully! The races were super fun. I didn't push anything too hard -- there were SO many people and I was in it for the experience anyway. I didn't really start to question my sanity until about an hour into the half marathon early Sunday morning... that feeling of "I still have more than an hour of running for THIS race and then I have ANOTHER race, what was I thinking???" haha. My husband ran the 5K Saturday and the 8K Sunday with me and he is slower, so that helped keep me in check. I feel like I trained perfectly for this race with back-to-back weekend long runs -- I went in feeling fresh but could still finish strong. All in all, a great experience, super fun, and I'm glad I got the chance to do it. I also had a blast hanging out with my sister -- we got to do some touristy stuff before and after the races.

I was thinking about a spring marathon since I now have a 18+ mile day under my belt, but I think I'm going to pass. I really want to try to PR and I'm not in PR shape. There are a few fun spring races that offer half options, and that is looking more likely. I also do want to get back on the bike and in the pool regularly to take my temperature on if I want to do some multisport races this year or not. Either way, it'll be nice to have more time to cross-train again.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 27 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the finish(es)!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations Midtown Miles. Sounds like you got a nice boost of confidence and had a great time.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations - that sounds like an amazing weekend!