Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [stephanl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stephanl wrote:
So-called 'recovery boots' are for the most part an additional sales channel for a product that has existed for decades: sequential circulator to treat lymphedema. These supposedly medical-grade systems sell for thousands of $s, and require a prescription. By changing the range of available compression the prescription requirement is by-passed, and voila, a product for the masses exists. Most name-brand so-called recovery systems are an off-spring of a medical device parent: for Normatec Recovery, see http://www.normatecusa.com/. For SportPump http://www.sportpump.com/, see http://biocompression.com/. Etc. Even visually, it's easy to see the similarities. The so-called 'recovery' system is merely a re-badged version of the medical one. Of course the manufacturers don't tell you that, and they also don't tell you that via e.g. craigslist you can find the medical version for pennies on the dollar.

For example, the SportPump SP4 pump retails on their site for $1199. Two leg sleeves will set you back another $300+ (depending on size). The medical version (BioCompression) does not list a price, from what I have seen they sell for 2x or more. Funny thing is, in my local craigslist I see a full BioCompression system (pump and two leg sleeves) for $240. They keep coming up, frequently and regularly. The difference? Branding, and the 'medical' version does not have any flashy logo with the term 'sport' in them.

A couple years ago when I became interested in these systems I called SportPump, chatted a while with a rep, and he basically told me that yes, they are selling technically identical and merely re-badged product.

Disclaimer: I am no medical professional or anywhere close, the above is based on personal research from a couple of years ago, and may or may not be considering all applicable details. That said, the BioCompression pump I bought for a couple hundred $$s off craigslist a couple years ago still pumps strong, and has the desired effect. YMMV.

Most of those devices are saying:

Venous insufficiency, that means compression socks or stockings work exactly the same, the difference is probably in pressure, having said that, boots will apply higher pressure Normatec 50-250mmHg and release in series of intervals vs stockings 50-60mmHg constant pressure.

What is better ? Who knows? someone would have to do some research, for sure one look more "pro" in the pump up shoes, but while wearing the stockings you can do a lot of other things while you recover, and you are always running the risk of being taken as cross dresser but hey...it might be fun :)

Constant pressure of the stocking my be better than higher but pulsation based pressure of the pump shoes, I'm sure both sides will argue, and both sides are right wrong.

Simplest way to recover, just lift your legs up on the wall. Traveling with huge shoes and the box is just PITA, I have seen somewhere pic of the guy that puts those on on the plane....Can you imagine distraction he creates, he is THE Athlete for entire flight BSing about his shoes and how fast he is. Instead of wearing special flight compression stockings, but then nobody would see it and ask questions....He would not be "The Flight Athlete", but simple guy in stockings :)
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve-
Chamber one is the foot and Achilles
Chamber two gets the rest of the calf, up to the very bottom of the knee cap
Chamber three does cover the knee, but also comes up the quad ~ 5"
And Chamber four gets up the rest of the quad.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas,
I have a 35" inseam.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sebo2000 wrote:
Most of those devices are saying:

Venous insufficiency, that means compression socks or stockings work exactly the same, the difference is probably in pressure, having said that, boots will apply higher pressure Normatec 50-250mmHg and release in series of intervals vs stockings 50-60mmHg constant pressure.

What is better ? Who knows? someone would have to do some research, for sure one look more "pro" in the pump up shoes, but while wearing the stockings you can do a lot of other things while you recover, and you are always running the risk of being taken as cross dresser but hey...it might be fun :)

Constant pressure of the stocking my be better than higher but pulsation based pressure of the pump shoes, I'm sure both sides will argue, and both sides are right wrong.

Simplest way to recover, just lift your legs up on the wall. Traveling with huge shoes and the box is just PITA, I have seen somewhere pic of the guy that puts those on on the plane....Can you imagine distraction he creates, he is THE Athlete for entire flight BSing about his shoes and how fast he is. Instead of wearing special flight compression stockings, but then nobody would see it and ask questions....He would not be "The Flight Athlete", but simple guy in stockings :)

I took the Norma boots on every trip I took last year except for the one trip where my homestay said he would bring his set of podium legs. Amazing the stuff I am willing NOT to pack just to pack the boots. For the record, I had been wearing compression socks for a good 12+ years on flights. There is really no comparison in terms of effectiveness between the two, but I will admit, with the boots you get a lot of questions in the airport from on-lookers and occasionally security comes over and checks on you, both of these really eat into productivity.

With that being said, a nice solid walk after a long-flight is a very effective way to help freshen the legs.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Sounds as though size large maybe too big.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [cabdoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cabdoctor wrote:

Frankly, I am not really sure. They are about 2 inches longer than my normal size Normatechs and are meant for people would opt for the large size of Normatecs. I have no idea how much larger the large Normatec are as I don't have a pair for comparison. The regular Normatec IMO are already on the verge of being too long for me even though I fall right in the middle of the size based on height, although using my inseam 33.63 would push even further to the other end of the range.

I think it is pretty fair to say that unless you are at least 6'1" or taller I would just go with the normal version.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [thomasmn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, the warranty experience so far has not been great. I'm back from a 10 day vacation and opened up the package from them. Turns out they fixed the T connector and not the seam that was coming apart on my right boot.. :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shoot me a message and I'll look into it. I did the same thing for a friend of mine who had a pair of Normatec's as well. Did the split occur right out of the box or after use? What was wrong with the T-adapter? Did you purchase on Amazon or direct from Air Relax? My experience with Amazon sellers lately is they are getting crazy good at customer service, at least the ones that want to be around and not the fly by night shops.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got it direct from Air-Relax. There was no issue with the T connector and I had sent them a picture of the seam on the right boot coming apart after ~1 month of daily use.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [cabdoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cabdoctor wrote:

So I did get a chance to sit in the big boys. Again I am only 5 feet 9 but have a 33.63 inseam. They are a little long for but are totally good. Only slight issue is the same with the Normatec in that I have to lift the boys out of the way so they don't get pinched. They will work out for you at 35 inches

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wife must really love me as she bought me a pair for my bday. Been fine so far for a few weeks.

Taking them in my carry on has been interesting. I finally learned to take them out at security.

What are you guys using as far as a case?
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [greenlawnracing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
greenlawnracing wrote:
Wife must really love me as she bought me a pair for my bday. Been fine so far for a few weeks.

Taking them in my carry on has been interesting. I finally learned to take them out at security.

What are you guys using as far as a case?

They are a little tough to get in the carry-on but you certainly could do it although a dedicated slim case would be nice. I traveled with the boots on every trip last year, but I ended up packing the Normatec for air travel as the Pulse head unit is a little smaller. I usually wrapped it in a t-shirt or two but that doesn't feel too secure. As I think about it, I have a small padded cooler that might offer some decent protection.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about a case just for regular storage and for transporting to races?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
greenlawnracing wrote:
What about a case just for regular storage and for transporting to races?

Are you asking me for recommendation on a case or why there isn't case for this device in the first place? Normatec does have a case for theirs but it is about the size of carry-on, it is quite bulky. I always just packed in the carry-on . The Air Relax was never really designed for the casual use and travel of athletes, it was originally designed much like the actual medical Normatec's, for medical reasons with a population that probably doesn't travel much.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking for a recommendation. Preferably something not the size of a carry on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
greenlawnracing wrote:
Looking for a recommendation. Preferably something not the size of a carry on.

Sorry for the late reply. In the end, I guess my recommendation would just be the Normatec case for an Air Relax. Here are some pictures I just took

There is top zippered compartment to add more stuff, and I am sure you can squeeze the boots down some more and pack more stuff but regardless, boots still take up a decent amount of room. There just isn't anyway of getting around that, and giving that they are somewhat delicate electronics you have to take care of them.I still like the idea of wrapping the head unit up in clothes, like jeans and t-shirts and skipping the case.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well that seemed like a nice protective transportation method until I saw the price. $160 - shit!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
greenlawnracing wrote:
Well that seemed like a nice protective transportation method until I saw the price. $160 - shit!

I sent a massage to Air Relax seeing if they had an ideas of anything in the works. I have not heard back yet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I sent a massage to Air Relax seeing if they had an ideas of anything in the works. I have not heard back yet.
Freudian slip or subliminal suggestion?

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [ergopower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ergopower wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Freudian slip or subliminal suggestion?

Probably Freudian slip but I make so many grammar mistakes anyway on here. I'll admit I was in a bit of hurry this morning due to losing an hour.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I messaged them months ago about a 230v version. Told me one was imminent. No dice!
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [hutchy_belfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hutchy_belfast wrote:
I messaged them months ago about a 230v version. Told me one was imminent. No dice!

Where are you located??? I don't do much international travel so I don't have a lot familiarity on the subject. Is 230 different than 220?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UK. Sorry we natively run 230 but 220 does OK. Do they have a 220 version now? I couldn't find it recently.
Quote Reply
Re: Affordable Recovery Boots from Amazon [hutchy_belfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next