Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Feb. 20 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 20 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy Monday!

Good week last week.

Runx6 (goal=7)
Bikex2 - met goal
Swimx1 (goal=2)

I took Sunday off completely. My house is getting new floors today so we essentially moved out yesterday (we've lived in this house for 22 years, so we are very settled in). I thought I was in great shape until I started moving dressers and OMG my arms and my legs and my back and my body hurt! I guess that's what happens when I don't spend time with weights. So, it turns out I'm a wimp at moving furniture. My plan had been to wake up early and move everything into the garages and then get my Sunday swim + long run in. But by the time we wrapped up around 3:00 I just wanted a beer and recliner.

In other news, SO MUCH RAIN in California. It is crazy out there. I went on a run on a fire road and I thought the trees were going to fall on me. It was terrifying. So, now I'm afraid of bears, mountain lions, bad guys, and falling trees. Fortunately, all the trees that were across the road had already fallen and I just climbed through them. None fell on me.

This week, goals are Runx7, Bikex3, Swimx3. My first race of the season is 4 weeks away (OLY).

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi tigerchik, thanks for getting us started. Any news? My fingers are crossed so tight it's been hard to swim.

Last week I hit all my goals daily p/rehab, 3 strength sessions, 3 swims (7KY), 3 bikes (90M), and 2 runs 9 (15M), and 1 yoga class. More rain kept me out of the ocean but it's making the hills green and gorgeous. Both my runs last week were higher intensity than anything I've done over the last few months so that's progress -- hills are making my legs stronger. I've been doing a lot of training on my own lately (new job is busy, travel schedule is weird) but I did my long ride with my training partner. Or at least we started and finished at the same place -- I was dropped almost immediately but it was nice to know we'd be eating breakfast together :D

Also, I bought myself a you got promoted and it's almost your birthday gift -- Garmin Vector pedals. I'm going to start incorporating training by power into my workouts (versus HR) Any tips?

This week I'm planning on daily p/rehab, 3 strength sessions, 2 pool swims, 2 bikes, a swim/bike brick, a bike/run brick, 1 other run (hills) and a yoga class.

I hope all the women have a great week!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 20 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi tigerchik, thanks for getting us started. Any news? My fingers are crossed so tight it's been hard to swim.

Oh, that made me smile - thank you so much. I am waiting to hear from two places, so please keep them crossed.
I did get a verbal offer from an institution last Thursday, and I expect the formal letter today :-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Woohoo! Keep us posted, tigerchik!

SLOGoing, all this rain is so crazy but I bet this spring's wildflowers will be amazing in your neck of the woods. What's your first Oly?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My goal last week was a day off from running and 6 swims. I ran 7 times for 61.1 miles and swam 7 times for 11,600 yards. I did not bike (goal had been 2). I didn't get my first job offer until Thursday, and as I am still waiting on news from a job I am very, very interested in, I just felt really stressed and anxious all week. The stress at the start of the week was that I wouldn't get any offers, and now it's the stress of waiting for news from a place I really like. To be clear, the job I've been offered is a really, really great job with really, really great people, but it is not my favourite area of the country.

I fly to San Diego tomorrow for a conference. I am looking forward to getting to go in the ocean :-) we're at a place on the coast. I'm not really in a headspace to set workout goals right now - the key thing is to Not Get Hurt.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats on the offer -- and best hopes that the other institution is wise enough to do the same
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 20 Edition [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's race week! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!! I'm doing the Gasparilla Ultra Challenge in Florida this weekend (15K and 5K Saturday, half marathon and 8K Sunday), having only gotten in a month ago after being on the waiting list. I am starting to get nervous, and I always get stressed with the pre-vacation to-do list, but I'm looking forward to hanging out with my sister for a few days, maybe going to the beach, maybe going to spring training.

My hamstring/glute/tailbone is being weird so of course the taper crazies have me convinced it's something terrible. I am kind of considering a spring marathon... my long run Sunday will be 18 miles total, so I'm most of the way there. The other part of me wants to get back to swimming and biking and take a break from running. We'll see.

Congrats, TC!

SCT, I'd be interested how the jump to training with power goes. That's probably my next step and I have no idea even where to start. I also kind of want a Wahoo Kickr but there's that whole $1,200 price tag thing. My bike didn't even cost that much.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 20 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles, ha! The pedals cost more than I paid for my bike so I know the feeling -- I'm justifying choosing the pedals over the cheaper power meter options by amortizing the cost over multiple bikes.

I'll keep you posted on how things progress -- I ride a CompuTrainer one day a week and have a very basic understanding of my power but don't really do anything with that knowledge. I'm racing an Oly in two weeks and am planning to use the data I collect there combined with some recent test data to benchmark where I am versus where I want to be. Then I'll adjust my training for the two 70.3 races I'm doing this spring.

Good luck in your race, I hope you feel strong and well rested by the time the gun goes off!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 20 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love training with power, and then racing with power. It keeps me honest on my workouts and at races it gives me the confidence to tell my brain to stop being a lazy weiner!

I got in my 5 rides (FTP went up 9 watts) but cut one ride short so had 7h 47m for the week. I'll take it. Goal for this week:
- 5 rides/8h50m
- stop being a grump about everything.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 20 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the real talk Scheherazade.

I'm testing my FTP soon so I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get going.

Good work getting your FTP up and getting your rides in.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 20 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The wildflowers are going to be OUT OF CONTROL! I can't wait. California..... a dessert plagued by drought punctuated with years of flood. Seriously, it is so beautifully green in California it is paralyzing. And the lakes are all filling up. This is what we live for.

My first OLY this year is the March Triathlon Series race by Cal Poly, which used to be held at Lopez Lake. However they moved it to Cayucos because the lake was empty (a few months ago) and the ocean still has water. So, while Lopez would have worked because it filled back up with all this rain, we'll race in the ocean and on a multi-loop course. Kinda funky, but hey... it is our longest-running Tri and it is just always funky so it works. The swim is two laps around the pier - through the waves and you run through the sand under the pier and back into the ocean. So it is 1/2 of the swim with a sand 100 yard dash so you can finish the last half of the swim. Add sharks and we're golden. Then 4 laps up a stupid hill and back down and then a run along coastal neighborhoods. Honestly, I really hope they move it back to the lake next year because this is funky, but hey. Funk makes punk. And I'm down for that.

Wow, tigerchik... I think of you more than you know!! GOOD LUCK.

SoCalTricurious... oh my I almost bought those pedals. I want to hear how they go. I ended up with Stages and am pretty happy - it is a new world. I started using a power meter about 3 months ago and I get it now. What event are you racing??? It is a tough time of year for me with work, but my ear is to the rails on great event options.

Scheherazade - "stop being a grump about everything." OMG. Story of my life. I spent 3 hours in a meeting with our managing partner and our only female on the Board of Directors on Saturday... I am the grump. Conclusion: more swimming needed. Must stare at black line for more hours. So, today I swam. And I'm less grumpy. I get it.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 20 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing, I'll definitely report back on the pedals. This is my first real triathlon investment which means I may have to change my handle to indicate that I'm no longer "TriCurious" but all in :D

I'm planning to drive north to see the wildflowers in a few weeks. I moved here in 2010 so I've only known California in drought conditions and I am overwhelmed by all this amazing green and gorgeousness.

I'm signed up for Desert Tri Oly (March), the HITS Napa 70.3 (April), and my "A Race" is the Santa Rosa 70.3 (May). After Santa Rosa, I'm going to reevaluate the rest of my season.

I did the MTS Oly last year (the sprint) and had a fun time despite not being able to feel my feet on the run or the bike. I didn't realize they'd moved it to the ocean -- the more running I can do during the swim the better so maybe I'll come up again for something funky!

Happy training y'all!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
run x 5: win with 6
swim x 1: win
bike x 1: FAIL
core/strength x 4: win

You'd think with a warm (record breaking, even), sunny long weekend I'd have got out on a bloody bicycle. Nope. Did ride my motorcycle yesto, though, so there's that.

Saturday was the start of the warmth and really the peak temperature. It turned the snow-covered trails into a mess of slush and meltwater-covered ice, while some parts were still full snowpack. Very odd to be running in a skirt and shirt - bare legs, no jacket - over ice and snow in the woods.

(Yes, I had my pack loaded with my emergency kit and even my trekking poles, not to mention my traction devices on my shoes. None of this stopped me from getting frostnip in all of my toes plus the ball of my left foot from the constant slush puddle soakings, despite the 12c/52f day that had me rolling up my sleeves and sweating. I had forgotten my neoprene toe covers and was very happy when the feeling finally returned to my left foot/toes after 20mins or so in a hot shower afterward.)

Things froze up overnight into icy death, so it was road running for the rest of the weekend - 10mi in sunshine down to our fav coffee roasters for a latte on Sunday, then 5k + 6k double run on Monday. Left ankle has been a bit tricky lately so trying to give it a bit of a rest - did 6k on my lunch (|in the rain; I miss the sun already!) today and will hopefully get to the pool this evo for a good stretch.

This week's goals:
run x 5
swim x 1
bike x 1
core/strength x 3

Last edited by: Anna s: Feb 26, 17 0:11
Re: How was your week? Feb. 20 Edition [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
Mistressk, you look so cool when out running and I really mean that. Sounds like your 100k prep is going really well, despite the slush and ice, congrats!

Haha, thanks - I always feel like the biggest dork out there with my pack stuffed full of emergency kit when I'm only 5mins out of town! Makes good training, though, sporting around an extra 10lbs of crap while climbing all the hills.