Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
P5 p5x or ventum?
Quote | Reply
Which bike would you rather own and why?
Quote Reply
Re: P5 p5x or ventum? [andreasjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
p5, can't use the other 2 ant usac master nats ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disc brakes - P5x

Rim brakes - Ventum

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P4
Mandatory: 3T Ventus. TriRig Omega. Shrug&turtle.
Option: Zipp 1080. POC Tempor.
Last edited by: Nicko: Feb 15, 17 23:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P3C... because of proper geometry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ventum- I love the ride and the built in bottle is awesome for longer rides/races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I can help answer any of your questions feel free to contact me at jimmy@ventumracing.com.

JImmy Seear
Co-Founder Ventum
http://www.ventumracing.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andreasjs wrote:

Cervelo has been around for a long time and has amazing brand reputation and high resale value. With that being said I think the Cervelo p5x has a huge chance of being a flop. It is the first bike into hydros and I think future bikes will be better. I like to skip gen 1 of really new stuff. I would go with a P5 over the P5X

Ventum is a newer brand but I know Jimmy, Diaa, and Rachel are working hard. Probably the smartest thing they did was take all their athletes to the wind tunnel. I mean if you are going to build a super bike you might as well spend to optimize your riders on it. I still think they should publish all the data, I think that would be awesome to see. Everyday that goes by Ventum earns a little more respect. I like small business and people that are nimble. I am interested in seeing where they take the company.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: P5 p5x or ventum? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
andreasjs wrote:

Cervelo has been around for a long time and has amazing brand reputation and high resale value. With that being said I think the Cervelo p5x has a huge chance of being a flop. It is the first bike into hydros and I think future bikes will be better. I like to skip gen 1 of really new stuff. I would go with a P5 over the P5X

Disc brakes are coming whether anyone on this forum including Tom A. likes them or not. Why buy a P5? It was designed from 2009-2012. It's old. Outdated. Time to move on. It's still a really fast bike though.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: P5 p5x or ventum? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
andreasjs wrote:

Disc brakes are coming whether anyone on this forum including Tom A. likes them or not. Why buy a P5? It was designed from 2009-2012. It's old. Outdated. Time to move on. It's still a really fast bike though.

Right, it is super fast so why not buy a USED P5, use it for the a few years, and then buy a P6X when they come out. I am not in the business of spending 15k to have something depreciate 9K over two years when I can buy something for $3,500k and have it depreciate $500 over two years.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: P5 p5x or ventum? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because 10 speed drivetrains still work.

Because people still ride aluminum rimmed wheels.

Because people still ride steel bikes.

And also, because the P5x sucks. The P5 is as fast (or faster?) and cheaper. And will continue to be, in comparison to the P5x...until...forever.

If Jimmy and team could just clean up that aerobar/stem/just behind the stem area so its not so visually unappealing, I'd be in line for a Ventum.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because no one knows what Cervelo's strategy is. There is no way of knowing if the bike will be a "flop" as you say. There may not be a p6x for another 5 years. Buy what makes you happy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LBS has a P5x on display, something about it is both amazing and awful all at once. The integration of storage is second to none. the overall look is meh and has one hell of a price tag.

ETA: I heard they have sold 20 nationwide. I don't think it ever was meant to be some blockbuster huge deal but more of a proof of concept.

ETA x2: if you are traveling with the bike a lot I would do the P5x, the mechanics at my LBS said the thing is "easy" to work on, but I think they are using the P5 as their baseline.

I know nothing beyond what is seen in pictures of the ventum

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Last edited by: MTBSully: Feb 17, 17 9:05
Quote Reply
Re: P5 p5x or ventum? [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTBSully wrote:
LBS has a P5x on display, something about it is both amazing and awful all at once. The integration of storage is second to none. the overall look is meh and has one hell of a price tag.

ETA: I heard they have sold 20 nationwide. I don't think it ever was meant to be some blockbuster huge deal but more of a proof of concept.

ETA x2: if you are traveling with the bike a lot I would do the P5x, the mechanics at my LBS said the thing is "easy" to work on, but I think they are using the P5 as their baseline.

I know nothing beyond what is seen in pictures of the ventum

That is probably the number one selling feature to me on the Morph-bar. It would be so simple to travel with that bar. Would easily make for the simplest pack possible.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTBSully wrote:
ETA: I heard they have sold 20 nationwide.

Considering it takes about a month to get one right now, this is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too low. Our stores have sold at least 5 that I know of.
Quote Reply
Re: P5 p5x or ventum? [PoorLBSEmployee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where in the country are you? I'm just repeating what I heard, LBS has 2 locations, one has sold a couple I think and the other none.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I've seen at least 4 in my local shop.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
South coast worst coast. But there be oil here, so there be cash.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I left the oil rich southern Texas for the promised land of Minnesnowta (my home land).

I think there is a lot of confirmation bias in this forum when it comes to these high end bikes. We frequent shops that cater to places that sell these things. It helps that HED is 5 miles from my LBS so tend to hear pick up some of the inside scoop.

I am not a devout triathlete, but I hope it does well because it really is a neat bike system. It really is a 1 trick pony though.

I can tell you there have been a lot more 3t exploros and Opens through the doors in the last couple months than damn near anything besides fat bikes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think P5X will be a flop based on price alone. The 2.0 will cost half as much and will also be a beam bike with disks and long course storage options. The insanely expensive P5X at that point will have lost most of its resale value. Surely people see this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I heard they have sold 20 nationwide"

i think it's closer to 600.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: P5 p5x or ventum? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That isn't bad, won't cover the R&D.

In 2 years they can trickle it down to a P3x or whatever and it will be a total hit. Everyone that buys a second gen at half price will have to thank the people that bought the first gen.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"That isn't bad, won't cover the R&D. "

it's february.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: P5 p5x or ventum? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like I am getting picked on, do they have a sales projection?

In your history with the sport, do revolutionary bike designs have a peak and fall around their release or do they tend to slowly grow to a max units/month or year then settle out?

ETA: How many units has Ventum moved? are sales growing or even for them? (trying to keep it relevant to all bikes listed)

Last edited by: MTBSully: Feb 17, 17 11:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P5. Fastest option.
Quote Reply

Prev Next