Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Being realistic about race goals, distance and training w/ kid and spouse
Quote | Reply
Hi all:

I was hoping you might help me w/ my slight existential crisis. I started doing tris in 2013 and did pretty well in local races. My goal, without any kind of "life" barrier would be to qualify for the international distance national race in 2017. To do this, I'd really really have to focus and train, but it is definitely not unobtainable.

Our kid is almost 2, and this year marked my return to tris. Another mom finished her race around when I did at Luray in VA and we were both so freaking emotional -- it was both of our first races back. I did two races toward the back of the summer after finally getting back into real training in late Spring 2016. As usual, the times were tempting enough to feel like I could actually begin to place in local races if I kept it going

I have a fairly flexible job, but it still requires work product & actual face time. what's hard is balancing the kid + work + sleep + workout combination. I find that I can usually get away for about 1.5 hrs during the day (incl transport to wherever) without much of a problem. Weekends are a lot harder because we're both home and our sort of sense is that we should spend as much time with our kiddo as possible. so working out has had to happen at 6:30 am or bust, which even with a kid, is really really hard for me (I'm an academic! We sleep late! Or we walk around like zombies when we wake up at 6:00AM and tend to the kiddo). when it was warmer, I did a good job of pounding out about 35 miles at most, 25 was more typical. I just can't be out for too many hours on the weekend without spouse getting mad (I definitely don't feel guilty, though, about training)

So here's the thing: is it reasonable to try to push for a competitive olympic race at this point given the time limitations (yes, I could DO an olympic, but do it well to my standards?) Should I stick with sprints, where the swim can either be something that I end up finishing in top 10, or get crushed and fall behind for the rest of the race because of all the college swimmers? What's your schedule? How do you balance stuff.

thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Being realistic about race goals, distance and training w/ kid and spouse [swimbikerunprof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds challenging. I too like to do my best, or whatever I can on less training. I don't much enjoy middle ground. Alas I do not have the elements to balance that you do, so can't help you there. You are bound to get lots of replies if you post to Women for Tri on FB... Or, you may get more responses on the main board here. At least, there's probably hundreds of men with children and wives who read that forum versus possibly fewer women with kids who read this one.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Being realistic about race goals, distance and training w/ kid and spouse [swimbikerunprof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi! If you are looking for a real soulmate you could visit http://www.cupid.com/...omen-seeking-men.htm and have no problem. Just chat and have some fun. Date and talk online. And you will never be lonely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As an academic, are you able to work from home some days, or are you teaching every day? I work a couple of days from home each week -- I can go for my run or jump on the trainer over lunch time, with zero time taken for stuff like driving to a gym or even packing a workout gear bag to bring to work. My kids are in grade school now... finding training would have been harder when they were toddlers. Your sleep sucks, you get sick a lot, and your ability to schedule training takes a hit because of it.

In racing I always focus on doing my best with what I've got available to me when I show up to the start line. Sometimes that means that I was able to get in a good solid chunk of training. Sometimes it means I haven't been on a bike for 3 weeks because we were on a family vacation. Combine that with how you feel on the day, weather, whatever... last year before Nationals I realized I was badly under-recovered after racing every 2 weeks since spring. I'm almost always worried I'm not doing enough. Enough training, enough discipline in my diet, enough sleep, etc etc. But somehow (probably because I started so late to this sport) I still manage to set PBs each year, and do pretty well locally. You never know until you try -- maybe 'the best you can do with what you've got' will get you closer to the FOP than you think. Only one way to know.
Last edited by: surroundhound: Jan 23, 17 13:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never been more than MOP.

I have a 5 year old and 6 month old. Currently I'm on maternity leave (off work for 12 months). My older son is in half day kindergarten and my husband works varying hours (and lots of them).

I feel like I should be able to do more than I do. Some weeks are great and some weeks are write-offs.

With a toddler you should have a "slightly" more stable schedule for planning workouts.

I don't think it's unreasonable to try for a good season. BUT - of things go sideways will you be okay with not being as competitive?

Basically I have no magic answers or insight. In fact, I promised myself I'd get on the trainer this morning and here I am typing...

Good luck!!
Quote Reply