Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Jan. 16 / MLK Day Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 16 / MLK Day Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy MKL day! Today marks the first official day of tax season for me so the next 12 weeks are about survival....

Great week last week. Still cranking away on the 100/100 challenge with 7/7 last week putting me at 32/100 so far.

Not a single swim or bike session last week. Boo. But tax season will put me in a new routine with at least 3x bike per week and 1x swim.

Attempted to do my absolute favorite run from the ocean up to Cone Peak (elev. 5,200 feet) yesterday and my legs just didn't have it, so I only made it about 2/3 of the way up. Buddy of mine made it to the top. Regardless, it was the most beautiful January day I could ever wish for. It started out at around 30 degrees and warmed up to around 65 degrees in the sun. The water crossings were gnarly and freaking ice cold. Most were knee deep. But, nailed 14+ miles (had a Garmin snafu midway) and ~3,500 elevation. I might have spent more time taking pictures than actually running. New goal: lots of stretching and getting legs ready for a full ascent by May 1 (too hot to attempt after that).

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My goals this week are
swim at least 5 times done with 6
run less than or equal to 6 times done with 6
bike at least 2 times nope

I had a good, very busy week. My next month is super busy because I am going on what feels like a job interview tour - I have four on-campus invites right now. I am at one place Thursday and Friday this week (fly early Thursday morning and land back midnight on Friday), then I go to the east coast leaving next Tuesday night. I am really excited!!!

M: 7.6 mi run (long intervals, fartlek) + 1000 yd swim
T: 7.2 mi run + 1800 yd swim
W: 9.6 mi run + 1800 yd swim
T: 9.5 mi run + 1200 yd swim
F: 7 mi run (5k @ 7:13 pace) + 2850 yd swim
S: 7.1 mi run + 1850 yd swim
S: off

totals 48 mi run, 10500 yd swim

I think I also had a goal to not eat sugary stuff (like candy) last week. I didn't do very well with that, but I did eat fewer sweets than normal. It seems I rely on desserts to get enough calories (root beer floats. AHEM). Basically my rationale for trying to not eat any sweets was that I know that when I get tired, I often binge on candy... and I have a LOT of fatigue-inducing travel coming up. So the better goal I think is not to eat candy while I am in the airport or at hotels. I can have fruit instead (which frankly tastes better).

goals for this week:
swim Mon, Tues, Wed, Sunday (today's done!) ... Saturday would be a bonus
run 6x (and no more than 6x)
bike 1x

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 16 / MLK Day Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love your first picture with the arch! The others are beautiful too but I'm a sucker for the ocean.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great pictures SLOgoing! I'm hugely jealous - it's a bleak arctic tundra here at the moment.

Last week's goals: 5 rides including an FTP test. Achieved! The FTP test sucked after 5 weeks away from training and I have a lot of work to do but I'm still testing higher than I was this time last year so I guess that's progress. I got in another 4 rides, for a total of 7h45m of trainer time.

I also found out that I won the 2016 firefighter of the year award from my department. That was pretty cool and a huge surprise.

This week: 5 rides for a total of 8h 10m. Get back into the habit of doing a little bit of physio/core work each day.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 16 / MLK Day Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
I also found out that I won the 2016 firefighter of the year award from my department. That was pretty cool and a huge surprise.

Holy moly! Congratulations!! That's awesome! Woot woot.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 16 / MLK Day Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I got in another 4 rides, for a total of 7h45m of trainer time.

I also found out that I won the 2016 firefighter of the year award from my department.

Both of those are really awesome! Congrats!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the award Scheherazade! That's a lot of trainer time, impressive physically and mentally.

Good luck with all the interviews TC - are you going to any places you've never been?

I had a pretty good week. Got 2 x run and 2 x bike plus an indoor soccer game. No swim, but I'm still pretty pleased. My only goal was to get the workouts done.

This week I'm going for the same, minus the swim. I'm having some shoulder/neck problems, so I'm going to try and work them out before I get in the pool. My mom is up, so I have kid help but then I just want to hang out with her. We'll see how well I do...
Last edited by: edbikebabe: Jan 16, 17 21:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck with the interviews, TC. That many must mean there is some shared interest in your application! SLOgoing--wow--amazing pics. I must be living in the wrong place. That's quite an honor, Scheherazade.

I've been focusing on the run. It's been tough going. However, each day I do the minimum 30 minutes for the 100/100 challenge, and shoot for 2 x on Sundays. With 37 runs in 33 days, so far I've made it further on the challenge this year than ever before. Other workouts are taking a hit though, as they are the second priority. I'm unable to do more than 1.5 hours/days total without developing pain. It's frustrating to be in this spot almost four years post-injury. :-(

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Scheherazade!

Deffo haz a jealous of your trails, SLOgoing! Apart from the lack of mountains and greenery, everything around here was treacherously icy this past weekend.

This was showing up at Puslinch Tract about 10mins after sunset on Saturday - the thick, sketchy ice in the dark was probably about my worst nightmare, but I put some faith in my traction devices and it paid off. Also finally got to run in the new hydration vest my mum bought me for Christmas!

It actually turned out to be a pleasant run, despite still having some pain from the dental surgery last Tuesday, some cold symptoms and general fatigue, and nearly falling once. Puslinch Tract seems to be the place I go to face my fears in running, and it's worked out so far - knock wood!

What sucked is that in the shower afterward, my lower back locked up on me. I suspect it has to do with the wild flail of limbs required to keep me from falling, but for a few minutes I could barely breathe. I'm still feeling some pain and tightness in my left hip and lower back today, though it's much better than it was. The weird part is that I decided I'd try running again on Sunday, and that seems to be the one time when I don't have any pain at all; it's very strange, but I'll take it!

It was further treacherous ice on the Mill Run Trail on Sunday, but at least I had daylight. Very good thing, too - the trail was totally washed out in the construction zone under the highway, and I had to pick my way along a steep side-slope of shifting rocks to reach the other side.

About 3/4 of the way through, I ended up post holing through some fragile ice that had formed over the trail where meltwater had flooded across. It was a little sketchy, but the ice itself was beautiful:

Don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it.

Then, however, I found the end of the line for me:

That's an active flow of water from left to right, and it would be at least ankle to calf deep. Given that it was already below freezing and dropping rapidly (and the water would be close to the freezing mark), I noped the hell out of crossing that and turned around.

I didn't make it up to the footbridge (one of my fav places) and my 10k run became 8k, but at least I got some pretty views over the river anyway.

Don't think I set any goals for last week because of 8-hour recovery/dental stuff/illness, but I ran 3 times (Tr/Sa/Su), did 4 strength/conditioning workouts and walked a few times.

This week's goals:
run x 5
strength/conditioning x 3
mobility/stretch x 1

Have a 3-hour trail race on Saturday, and it's supposed to be 5c/41f with a mix of sun and clouds - I can't wait!

Quote | Reply
Hello!

Beautiful photos SLOgoing and mistressk! Congratulations Scheherazade! Good luck TC!

<quote>Our adventure race is this weekend, so it'll be a light week of training for me -- daily p/rehab, 1 bikes, 2 strength sessions, 1 run, 1 or 2 swims, hopefully a yoga class and then 30+ hours of trail running, rock climbing, navigation challenges, puzzle solving, rucking, rappelling, and who knows what else... wish me luck :D </quote>

I didn't end up running last week but I biked once, did my daily p/rehab, and swam once before the adventure race. It ended up being 38+ hours of trail running, rock climbing, navigation challenges, puzzle solving, rucking, strength and balance based challenges and some random things like Rubik's cubing and harmonica playing. In total, we covered about 60 miles (and about half of those miles were with a 40+ pound pack!). We did fantastic -- not only did we *dominate* the coed division, we finished as the third team overall which surprised the heck out of people since we were by far the smallest team and "just two triathletes" ... then again, the very last stage was a 13 mile trail run which was a nice way for the triathletes to finish :D

This week I'll be taking it pretty easy -- yoga today, bike tomorrow, maybe a swim or a run and then back to normal schedule once I feel more like myself.

P.S. Tigerchik, the climbing section was amazing! The goal of the climbing stage was to send as many routes as possible in 2.5 hours with harder routes and flashes worth more points. We flashed as many of the 5.8-.9 routes as we could run and added additional points on some of the 5.10 and up climbs because we wanted to maximize points / save strength / have a blast (and because it was pouring rain). Super duper fun!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 16 / MLK Day Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That whole thing sounds like a lot of fun!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 16 / MLK Day Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Good luck with all the interviews TC - are you going to any places you've never been?

Just crazy...

(Three are new places).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was really, really fun! There was a drone flying around taking action photos but given the weather (rain, wind, hail) I doubt it got too many. If I see any good photos or write-ups about the event I'll post them here.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing pics and accomplishments all... quite jealous of running outside now - it's been just a sheet of solid ice on every trail and sidewalk since Dec 5th (only major roads are clear). Today, finally, we are expecting major warm-up and lot and lots of rain (150mm in 3 days). Hoping to get OUTSIDE to run soon.

Last week:
- skate 3x - DONE
- dryland/cables/core/drills 1x - DONE and man I really notice my right side getting stronger (badly needed!)
- ref 3days (this is a bigger western Canada-level meet, with video and electronic timing, much more high profile, some seriously high level skaters. I'm assisting which will be a nice change from being the Chief Ref. I should learn alot; this will be my LAST meet refereeing this season; and it will meet my requirements for advancement to Level 2 ref.) - DONE and this was a lot of fun actually (plus I got paid! a nice surprise!).
- swim 2x (yeah, I know!) - Minor fail I swam once as I had to take the car into the shop on Fri am (the other time I was planning to swim), but I did get in 2600m.
- run 1x (ice dependant) - FAIL but not really, I managed to get in two rides albeit in -8degC weather (thank you balaclava/buff!)

This week:
- skate 2x
- swim 1x
- dryland/cables/core/drills 1x
- ride 2x
- go to Okanagan for long weekend with kids & hubby. :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 16 / MLK Day Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh my freak. You ladies out there in snow and ice and all that white stuff are freaking bad ass. I wimp out with a breeze. Seriously, you ladies are truly heroes. I'll take my January green grass, gunky mud, and ocean breeze at 30 degrees any day over that slippery hell. Ok. No excuses tomorrow. We are expecting water to fall from the sky and clouds to cover that beautiful blue sky, but I'll skip the dreadmill and bike trainer and be awesome like you and go OUTSIDE.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 16 / MLK Day Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andy, I thought I'd suggest the traction devices I've been using - they're great on ice, allowing me to run with almost total confidence. I bought them because they were about the cheapest I could find (a race I did last winter had them listed as required equipment), but it turns out they're pretty amazing: Due North Everyday Traction Aids

They have replaceable ~3mm carbide spike pods (come with 2 replacement pods) and really bite into the ice - I've tried YakTrax and those are rubbish by comparison. They make a loud CRUNCH sound when you run on ice with them but aren't too obtrusive underfoot if you end up running on clear pavement, and the spikes seem to be pretty durable (caveat: I've only done about ~300m on roads with them, crossing over to the next bit of trail).

For twenty five bucks they're probably worth a try rather than being stuck with no running!

Go get 'em SLOgoing! My lunch run yesterday was rainy, windy and 34f through ugly urban industrial areas, but still beat the dreadmill!

Quote | Reply
omg thank you - I have tried yaktrax and hated them/ineffective esp with any slush buildup. I will definitely look for a pair of these!

FWIW, here's what my cleats looked like on Monday's ride - when ever I had to walk any iced patches - I had to stop and dig the slush/ice out to be able to cleat in.

And here's the typical bike path clearing in our area (read: none):

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Last edited by: AndyPants: Jan 18, 17 10:40
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 16 / MLK Day Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yikes! I did a mtb race in conditions like that once - even derailleurs and cassettes were icing up solid.

I feel for you with the bike path clearing - my town makes home & business owners responsible for clearing most of the sidewalks, so they tend to look like that all winter because people are lazy arseholes who never go anywhere in winter unless it's in their car.