Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dura-Ace 9000 to 9100 cranks. Are chain rings interchangeable?
Quote | Reply
Wondering IF I can put my 55/42 from my 9000 onto their new 9100 cranks?

DM

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dura-Ace 9000 to 9100 cranks. Are chain rings interchangeable? [dmounts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not think they are. While they do have the same bolt circle diameter, the shaping on the 9100 crank is different and the rings likely won't fit properly, if you follow me.
Quote Reply
Re: Dura-Ace 9000 to 9100 cranks. Are chain rings interchangeable? [dmounts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heh... You must be new to Shimano's long-term marketing strategery ~ Continually buck having any enduring standard or backwards compatibility whenever you trot out a new model line-up, so everybody is forced to buy as much new shit as possible (and not from any 3rd-party/aftermarket vendors if they can help it, either).
Quote Reply
Re: Dura-Ace 9000 to 9100 cranks. Are chain rings interchangeable? [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shimano's chainrings are slightly wider apart in order to accomodate shorter chainstays, and 135 mm hub spacing. Their long-term marketing strategy is to make their shifting work as well as they possibly can with current and new technologies
Quote Reply
Re: Dura-Ace 9000 to 9100 cranks. Are chain rings interchangeable? [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
You must be new to Shimano's long-term marketing strategery ~ Continually buck having any enduring standard or backwards compatibility whenever you trot out a new model line-up, so everybody is forced to buy as much new shit as possible (and not from any 3rd-party/aftermarket vendors if they can help it, either).

This is a bunch of bullshit. Shimano is easily the finest, most sophisticated equipment and technology manufacturer in cycling, and it's not close. Their prerogative is to make exceptional products, and more than anyone else they succeed.

The vast majority of new Shimano products are backwards compatible, except when impossible or impractical (e.g. Di2 transition to e-tube platform, 10-speed to 11-speed, etc.). They chose not move to 12 speed with the new 9100, which would have thrust hundreds of millions of dollars worth of equipment into rapid obsolescence and been a boon to them financially. But they didn't because it wasn't time -- the product wasn't there yet, in technical terms (e.g. forging improvements) or in practical terms (i.e. compatibility with existing equipment infrastructure).

The new group is almost entirely cross compatible with the old, except for the front derailleur and the chain rings. But who in the fuck invests in a new groupset and keeps the old chain rings. There are of course some edge cases, but it's not a product decision that affects most customers.

Besides all that, why would they allow their goods and their good name to be ruined and sullied by scurrilous, incompetent third party and aftermarket vendors who wish to profiteer on their platform and product set? Put non Shimano rings on a Shimano crank and all of a sudden the crankset is a piece of shit and the group shifts like garbage, because nobody else can cold forge rings like Shimano. Again, it's not close.

There are so many crap, negligent companies in this space. Baffling to me why you choose to talk down about one of the few good ones.

Can you tell I like Shimano?
Quote Reply
Re: Dura-Ace 9000 to 9100 cranks. Are chain rings interchangeable? [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about the inner small chainring? If bolt patterns are the same, maybe only thr big chainring wont fit but I can use an ultegra 6800 inner ring for the inner 9100 ring?
Quote Reply
Re: Dura-Ace 9000 to 9100 cranks. Are chain rings interchangeable? [campled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Due to the large amount of crank failures (for Shimano anyways) of the previous generation, the new cranks have been totally redesigned.
This precluded using the old rings as that part of the interface has been made a larger diametre.

Smart buyers buy the second generation product.
If you always want the latest, then be prepared to be the guinea pig.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
Heh... You must be new to Shimano's long-term marketing strategery ~ Continually buck having any enduring standard or backwards compatibility whenever you trot out a new model line-up, so everybody is forced to buy as much new shit as possible (and not from any 3rd-party/aftermarket vendors if they can help it, either).

Shimano is a very good company, lots of backward compatibility. The new chainring spacing is narrower and designed slightly differently, thus new rings. The last gen and new gen has the same cable pull ratios and di2 has no issues either other than needing the new battery.
Quote Reply
Re: Dura-Ace 9000 to 9100 cranks. Are chain rings interchangeable? [campled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
campled wrote:
What about the inner small chainring? If bolt patterns are the same, maybe only thr big chainring wont fit but I can use an ultegra 6800 inner ring for the inner 9100 ring?

i always change my 50x34 to 50x36 cranks and when I recently bought the a new 9100 crank, I closely compared them. I have so say it *looks* like they would not fit. There is definitely a slightly different shaping on the contact points on the inner rings. I will admit I didn't try to force them.
Quote Reply
Re: Dura-Ace 9000 to 9100 cranks. Are chain rings interchangeable? [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you say narrower spacing, do you mean the lateral spacing between big chain ring and small ring?.... so the offset between the two rings (laterally) is smaller?

Also.... a lot of people don't seem to know there is a crap ton of info shimano posts on their website.... compatibility matrix: http://productinfo.shimano.com/...C-453&acid=C-455

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Dura-Ace 9000 to 9100 cranks. Are chain rings interchangeable? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes between the two chainrings. I noticed this when installing the new DA 9100 FD, it was mentioned in the install notes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to follow up on this, here is a side-by-side comparison of the inner rings for DA 9100 and 9000. The 9100 inner ring is on the left. Notice how the the area around the bolt-hole is shaped differently. It looks like this matches changes in the crank contact point. I think this is the case but it is tough for me to tell because my DA 9000 and 9100 cranks both have Pioneer power meters on them.

Quote Reply
Re: Dura-Ace 9000 to 9100 cranks. Are chain rings interchangeable? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the useful info & pic!
Quote Reply
Re: Dura-Ace 9000 to 9100 cranks. Are chain rings interchangeable? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found that the inner rings are interchangeable...but had no luck with the outer. I am running a Stages dual sided which may interfere a little, but that doesn’t seem like the issue.
Quote Reply