Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Togs for being pregnant
Quote | Reply
Hello fellow womens
I am 17 weeks pregnant and am getting a bit fat. I plan to keep swimming in my squad probably all the way through and would like some advice on togs. I have started to get a little bit big for most of my current ones so bought a new pair but just had to buy the next size up to what I would normally wear but I can't expect I can keep doing this the whole way through because surely the dimensions will be wrong? Or will they just stretch out the front? What have other pregnant triathletes/swimmers done?
I have had a look at maternity swimwear online and I can't find anything that I would actually be able to swim in and not just wallow around in. I am quite small and normally wear kids Speedo's so not really sure how the sizing goes for maternity stuff.
Do you call them togs in the US? I am talking about swimsuits in case anyone is confused!!
Quote Reply
Re: Togs for being pregnant [bigjo_NZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha - I was confused at first. No togs in Canada.

I just bought a bigger sized suit (same style as pre-pregnancy). Just make sure you get a Lycra one and not a polyester one so you can maximize the stretch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go with a 2-piece -- I had both my kids in the summer, so I know about being gigantic in a bikini.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the 2 piece. Rock the bump. I hated having swim suits pulling at my stomach. I was the great white whale many-a-day at the pool with my first 3. About 9 weeks to go until #4 is born and I know we'll hit a pool at least once before kid comes and I'm not even going to try a 1 piece!!

If you don't want a 2 piece - not sure where you live, but Swim Outlet has a bunch of one piece suits, some that look like they'd be good for laps, not just lounging. I don't know where they ship...

https://www.swimoutlet.com/...nity-swimwear-c9372/

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: Togs for being pregnant [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys - I thought that a two piece would be the most accommodating but not sure if I will have the balls to let it all hang out!! I like the idea of a tankini type outfit just not sure if the top would ride up while I swim.
Thanks for the link, I'm in NZ and can get stuff shipped via a third party when people won't ship here so that's not an issue.
Finger's crossed I can find some regular togs a couple of sizes up that will stretch.
It would just be so much easier if us Womens could just lay an egg instead of having to go through all of this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It would just be so much easier if us Womens could just lay an egg instead of having to go through all of this.

Ha! I concur.

BlueSeventy has womens 2pieces on sale for $15 right now in the "Grab bag" section.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Togs for being pregnant [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last time i just got a lycra suit a couple of sizes up - worked right to the end! :)

Pregnant again now and the lycra suit didn't make it so i just bought another to make it through this round. The lycra is nice because it's didn't feel nearly as snug.
Quote Reply
Re: Togs for being pregnant [JuniperJen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum.
Quote Reply
Re: Togs for being pregnant [JuniperJen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I broke down and bought a maternity swimsuit that fits pretty well at my current 28 weeks. It's close to a practice/racing suit style rather than just a "floating around" type of suit. I debated a 2-piece, but my chest seemed to grow faster than my belly during the beginning of my second trimester and I didn't think I could find a top/bottom combo that actually fit both halves. I went with this one: https://www.swimoutlet.com/...int-one-piece-45697/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was gigantic when I was pregnant and I bought two lycra suits in size big and size massive. In the last few weeks of my pregnancy, even the massive suit started to get really inappropriate as my need for material to cover the bump started to pull down the coverage up top and around the sides! I always wore a sports bra under it because lycra is pretty see-through when it stretches and I needed the extra coverage. I looked pretty ridiculous but at the end, I really didn't care.

I went swimming with my husband when I was 39 weeks and someone stopped him to ask if he had seen the pregnant lady in the next lane and if he knew how someone could swim with "such a giant balloon". My husband was very proud to point out that it was his balloon!

To summarize, lycra suits in a bigger size are a good approach but be prepared to supplement at the end because the suits are not designed for bumps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see this is an older post but for anyone reading...being pregnant and growing a human body and the placenta is NOT getting "fat". Healthy women will gain 25-40 lbs in pregnancy. Don't let anyone ever tell you that it's "fat". It's a human! And a beautiful, natural thing!
Quote Reply