Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Dec. 12 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 12 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally failed to set any goals for last week. What actually happened was 7 runs, a few walks, and 4 core/strength workouts.

Did a 3-hr "Festive Fun Run" (no clock, no cost; just a marked loop and an aid station set up at the organizer's house) at Huron Natural Area on Saturday morning - 8 months to the day after the first time I ran there / last time I ran trail in snow. Also 8 months to the day after the seeds were planted that basically turned me into an ultrarunner this year. It was a beautiful day.

It snowed pretty much non-stop from Saturday evening through to this morning, and because of some errands I couldn't get out for a run until after dark on Sunday. I had been a bit scared about running snowy trail in the dark but figured it was safer than being on the roads with terrible drivers everywhere, so I set off on a non-technical trail I know very well and had one of the most amazing experiences of my entire life.

The reflected light from the city on the low cloud cover and rapidly falling snow that I didn't even need my headlamp - just rollicking along through the silent, ghostly forest.

I was also pretty pleased that I was able to just run along easily in 3"+ of fresh, mostly untracked snow - my fitness is certainly better than it was last winter, and the couple of niggles I've had in the past week didn't seem to be aggravated by over 4hrs of running on uncertain surfaces for the weekend. I call that a win - just shy of 68km for the week.

This week's goals:
run x 6
bike x 1
foam roll x 1
core/strength x 4

I'd like to get my bike set up on the trainer so I can do some easy spinning as cross-training (or just to warm back up after a cold run), and I really need to do some foam roller work.

Quote | Reply
Biggest accomplishment was running 31 miles for the week. Hooray!
I feel like I'm on my way back to getting up to a decent weekly mileage.

I swam twice (6k total), did strength training twice, and yoga once. I'd like to make sure I do the yoga more than once a week. I think it's helping my tendinitis... which seems to be going away.
I even got in the last 4mi for the week in about 4" of snow. It was slower than dirt, but I don't care.
I did not ride my bike. Not once. I'm taking a break from it for now.
This week the main goal is to add 5mi over the course of the week. If I can do that for the next two weeks, I'll be at my weekly goal miles of 40 per week.

I have a winter run event I'd like to do with my buddy on Feb. 11. So, that's my nearest long term goal.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 12 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SNOW! I'm envious mistressk! The beach is cool and everything but I'm ready to hit the mountains :D

I had a good week -- things are coming together for me and I think this will be a very productive off season.

Last week I did p/rehab every day but one, two yoga sessions, two strength sessions, two bikes (one trainer, one hills), two swims (one pool, one ocean), and two runs (both slow and low).

Yesterday, I helped a corporate team at the Spartan Sprint obstacle race. It was super fun and nice to be out there (I obstacle raced competitively before I got into triathlon but, for a variety of reasons, this was my only OCR of 2016).

After the Spartan Race, I did an easy trail 10K around the venue which was really lovely and all I could think about was how happy and grateful I am to be running again.

This week, my plan is p/rehab every day plus two yoga sessions and two or maybe 3 strength sessions. This Saturday, I am riding my bike to Santa Barbara with a group of people from my ocean swimming group (~100 miles) and I have a bunch of tests this week to setup my offseason: A Threshold/HR test on the bike, a CSS swim test (never done one of these!), and a threshold pace test on the track.

I'm also doing a bike fit -- hoping to get off my CX and onto a road bike and eventually back on my tri back.

I hope everyone has a great week!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! Great snow pictures! We definitely don't have that out here at the beach. But we have fog. White stuff in the air?

Great week, sort of. Logged 3 swims for the Guppy challenge. Woot. Its been a long time since I've been in the water. It was really nice. Logged 1 TrainerRoad session, had figured to only do one last week, so mission accomplished.

I did a 25k foot race - Montana de Oro - on Sunday and got my ass handed to me. Wow. I run those mountains as training runs so I've been up and down Hazard Peak and a few of the smaller peaks a hundred times. I really underestimated Valencia Peak and now I remember why I never run up it. I hate Valencia Peak. It is just not runnable for me (close to the top). Beautiful view, but between the slick mud, death march up switchbacks, and craggy rocks, it just isn't fun. But, got through the first 8 miles without incident (beach to Valencia and back), but then started really getting tight on the run up Hazard Peak and back. I couldn't even hardly run the last 5 miles, which are some of the most fun downhills ever. I think my legs are fried and need a break. And I have a twinge in my knee now. Ugh. Last weekend I ran 15 miles and didn't even sneeze. This race whomped me. Ugh. Bummer. Oh well. Recover and move on.

I've been cranky lately and don't know why. Cranky today. I'm over it. I'm ready to un-crank. Normally my training un-cranks me, but it just hasn't worked lately. Maybe I need a nice warm beach for a day.... that's on my goal list for Friday. A nice place to lay down outside and stare at the sky for a day.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: How was your week? Dec. 12 Edition [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
determination, congrats on the big run week :-)
Anna, I hope you feel better soon.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 12 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm back in Maine and we have lots of snow too :-)

Quote:
goals this week: swim 3x (1 done), ride 2x, day off from running.
I swam 6 times for 13k, ran 6 times for 41 miles, did not ride, and took one day completely off. I am really proud of how I structured the run week. I did a good job of mixing distance and short runs, and easy and speed. I also had one of the fastest weeks of swimming I've had in awhile.

Also, while I did not get any rides in, I did set the bike up on the trainer... it's ready to go!

Job news - got a skype interview for the job I really, really, really want, so that is good progress. :-) I also got turned down by another place, but I was expecting that from that particular institution.

One challenge of being home is dealing with a sibling's borderline personality disorder and other related issues. I just found out about this diagnosis (and the sibling doesn't know it yet - but parents said therapist thinks it is likely) and having a NAME for the constellation of issues is helpful in a lot of ways. I have been doing a good job of unpacking some of my feelings by journaling... it's supposedly an uncurable disorder, which makes me sad and angry. And a lot of the day to day behaviours that are part of the illness are infuriating.

On the upside of things, I get to spend time with my family and my beloved cats and chickens! Though I still have soooo much work to do to get ready for interviews and conferences and stuff.

goals for this week:
3 swims (1 done)
3 bikes
day off from running

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TC, just remember that "uncurable" is different than "unmanageable." Much progress has been made in the management of borderline personality disorder. I hope knowing the diagnosis helps you and your family move forward.

My second week of training was not quite as successful as the first. I'm stiff and sore in the morning, which pretty much rules out pre-work training. My goal is to work a few hours, break mid-day for run/swim, finish work, then evening bike on the trainer if called for. Problem is, I get involved in work and the day is over before I know it. I totally own this and have to put in place my priorities.

Took a big leap and signed up for the half IM. Figured it would keep me motivated. It's too easy to just get by with the shorter distances, but sure can't do that with a half. Got the go ahead from my doc today.

I'm also going to give the 100 runs/100 days challenge a go. Anyone want to take the over/under on how long it takes before someone starts whining that the "slow" runs being posted are not "credible"?

BTW, I am so jealous of the SNOW. In our house we gave each other xc skis for the holidays this year. Now we're just waiting and chanting snow, snow, snow.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Goal is to get up to 40 mi/wk and make that the 'regular'
I'm on my way!
Quote Reply