Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best VALUE in a race
Quote | Reply
i'm sure we've listed these, but in my old age i just can't seem to lay my hands on the thread.

which multisport race is the best VALUE. not the best race. not the cheapest race. but the race where you get more for less. the best bang for your buck. where you walked away saying, "that's a lotta race, a great experience, for the money i paid."

now, it may well be an ironman. fine. some of you will say that, because the entire adventure is well worth the money spent. or it might be another race.

can we please keep this to CURRENT, ONGOING races.

i'm sure a number of you are going to not read the above and include single-sport races, races that no longer exist, or some other GREAT answer nevertheless an answer to a DIFFERENT question than what i'm asking. or some smart ass answer like, "i do my own fictitious race, on the weekend, just me, and it's free, and that's the best value. still, if you could either, you know, answer the question, or just not answer at all, that would be preferable.

so: the best VALUE in a CURRENT MULTISPORT race. and why.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i'm sure we've listed these, but in my old age i just can't seem to lay my hands on the thread.

which multisport race is the best VALUE. not the best race. not the cheapest race. but the race where you get more for less. the best bang for your buck. where you walked away saying, "that's a lotta race, a great experience, for the money i paid."

now, it may well be an ironman. fine. some of you will say that, because the entire adventure is well worth the money spent. or it might be another race.

can we please keep this to CURRENT, ONGOING races.

i'm sure a number of you are going to not read the above and include single-sport races, races that no longer exist, or some other GREAT answer nevertheless an answer to a DIFFERENT question than what i'm asking. or some smart ass answer like, "i do my own fictitious race, on the weekend, just me, and it's free, and that's the best value. still, if you could either, you know, answer the question, or just not answer at all, that would be preferable.

so: the best VALUE in a CURRENT MULTISPORT race. and why.

Madison Aquathon Series - $80, 5 races. Thursday night knock yourself out. Nothing better than a flat out 1K OWS Time Trial right into a 5K.

https://runsignup.com/...ison/AquathonMadison

Timing, shirts, medals, prizes, awards. They even have a food night challenge to keep it fun where you can deduct time from your time by eating/slamming various eats & beverages. They also do free high-res photos.

Edited 12/8/2016 12:51pm EST

After re-reading something I wrote last year - BEST MIDWEST TRIATHLONS - I forgot to add that some of the best features of the Aquathon are that I can signed up 15 minutes before the race, do packet pickup at the same time, and although I bike to the race, I could just as easily drive and park right next to transition.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Dec 8, 16 9:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AmZof - duathlon
$100, 3 distances to choose from

If you do the long course, 5/84/15, you'll NEVER get more bang for the buck.

Great venue, difficult course, amazing food and great beer as well.

For those reasons, it's the only race I do
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's back this year, the Pigman 1/2. At less than $150, great course, awesome home made food, awards and free massages at the finish. Great bargain. Otherwise here in Madison, RaceDay Events does a series with 6 races for $249, ranging from sprint to OLY. With packet picket for EACH race, you get a coupon for $20 off anything at a Trek Store here in the city, so 120 back. Free photos, free lunch from Panera, awards, finish medals, t-shirt and often beer. Beat that!

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
the race where you get more for less. the best bang for your buck. where you walked away saying, "that's a lotta race, a great experience, for the money i paid."

The best value of any triathlon I have done was the Strive Multisport Triathlon in Drums, PA. They had the inaugural event this year.

For $95 you get:
  • an Olympic distance tri with a great course, including a closed bike leg -- except for 3/4 mile with a coned off shoulder
  • standard WTC-like tech t-shirt
  • great bar-type food after the race (chicken fingers, pasta salad, misc. sammiches, and even brownies and cake)
  • really generous awards (for winners $100 gift card with host, Strive Multisport -- Trek/Spesh dealer -- plus nice hoodie and other minor swag)
  • awesome FREE professional race photos easily as good as Finisher Pix (this is such a great benefit)
  • grassroots, supportive vibe
While I may be biased because my home is a half mile from the swim start, I don't know any other race where you get so much for so little, and I really don't do smaller races because I think they almost universally suck. Anyways, this Oly is only two hours from NYC and Philly, so I am hoping to rally more people to make the trip out for the second annual event. I'm quite certain that Strive and the other sponsors lose a good amount of money putting this event on, but they do it to build a sense of community for multisport/endurance athletes in Northeast Pennsylvania, which ultimately helps them thrive as a retail outlet and training center too. Win win.
Last edited by: PubliusValerius: Dec 7, 16 15:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Savageman 70.0 currently at $165, or one of the weekend race bundles to go both Saturday and Sunday. This race makes "epic" accessible to anyone willing to challenge the relentless bike course and follow that up with a run you won't PR either. It will leave a smile on your face and an aching in your legs you won't forget.
Last edited by: gregn: Dec 7, 16 15:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triple T- Race all weekend for the price of a 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rotorua Half.

Hands down best value race ever! Cheap price, great event, and great race bags. I have no idea how Hookise the RD does it but I can't imagine anyone anywhere gives as awesome value as Hooksie and the Rotorua Half (ironman)

Too bad the days of getting spot prizes for getting naked in transition are gone. Too bad the winner no longer wins their weight in beer. Awesome that the winner still gets a life size plush toy instead of any prize money. Love it!

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. I like the June Lake Granite Man Challenge. Essentially, an ironman over 3 days in an incredible place. Why? Tough, beautiful, accessible, fun, cool, good vibe..... reasonable price (though for the life of me I can't find the price).

I did like Wildflower back in the day... the festival was fun, the camping miserably fun, the course was killer, tested my limits, etc. You know the gig, but interestingly it didn't survive and a price drop wasn't going to save it and sorry, but the drought doesn't get to bear the weight of the blame.

I wish something like the Grand Circle Trailfest would throw in some lake time or a biking day. Or something. I do wish somebody would put on an adventure day race where it was point-to-point using many modes of self propulsion (swim, bike, run, rollerblade, climbing, kayaking, something).

Doesn't Bend, OR have a multi sport race with kayaking as a piece? Never done it though.... just happened through town once when it was going on.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not in the US, but the Lausanne Triathlon has always been great value. Where else can you do an Olympic distance event for about 80 dollars (Sprint is about 50 dollars, school students 20 bucks and kids race is free), with ITU elite race quality organization (ITU start pontoon, transition with carpets, fully closed bike course in the middle of a city) and the beauty (and water quality) of Lake Leman (known elsewhere sometimes as Lake Geneva). Well it helps that the city council and the police are organizing it I guess.

There are other great races in Switzerland with great value (Nyon for example). My favourite is my (former) home race in Vevey, on the Swiss Riviera (20kms from Lausanne). The oldest triathlon in Switzerland (since 1983). not affiliated with Swiss Triathlon, age group draft legal (but quite hilly at the beginning especially), odd distance using what the terrain/roads give you (700m swim, 33km bike, 6km run), great atmosphere in a great venue by the lake. Biggest kids race in the country too (about 500 kids doing it each year).

In Australia, probably one if not the most successful/preferred races around here is EliteEnergy's Big Husky Triathlon Festival, in Jervis Bay (Huskisson) on the New South Wales South Coast. Best atmosphere for a race in Australia (this south of Noosa). As all races in Australia, a bit pricey for my liking though.
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing wrote:
Hmmm. I like the June Lake Granite Man Challenge. Essentially, an ironman over 3 days in an incredible place. Why? Tough, beautiful, accessible, fun, cool, good vibe..... reasonable price (though for the life of me I can't find the price).

I did like Wildflower back in the day... the festival was fun, the camping miserably fun, the course was killer, tested my limits, etc. You know the gig, but interestingly it didn't survive and a price drop wasn't going to save it and sorry, but the drought doesn't get to bear the weight of the blame.

I wish something like the Grand Circle Trailfest would throw in some lake time or a biking day. Or something. I do wish somebody would put on an adventure day race where it was point-to-point using many modes of self propulsion (swim, bike, run, rollerblade, climbing, kayaking, something).

Doesn't Bend, OR have a multi sport race with kayaking as a piece? Never done it though.... just happened through town once when it was going on.

Have not done the graniteman challenge, but I was going to add the June lake half (put in by same people) as I have done that.

Cheap entry (relatively)

Amazing scenery

Great food - was like being at a family BBQ!

Incredible staff and volunteers - people spend a week ahead of time hiking water and nutrition up an insane hill that isn't accessable any other way to set up an aid station.

Toughest run course I've ever seen - just add 30- 45 min to your normal time.

Handmade ceramic finishers medals

Handmade unique cups for podiums

Art as prizes for top 3 overall m and f

June lake brewing gave discount beer to all finishers!!!
Last edited by: davejustdave: Dec 7, 16 16:18
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This Bayshore 70.4 in Long Beach looks like a good value. I registered when it was $140 (now $150 I think). I haven't done the race yet, so I'll report back in March and let everyone know what I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not the most fair comparison, but I do think that if you're one of those 'plan a whole year in advance' triathletes, you get a literal steal of a deal on super-early registration on HITS Half-ironman distance races.

Here are the fees for their Napa valley race:

http://hitstriathlonseries.com/...-ca/register-to-race

HITS HALF Fees
Saturday, April 8, 2017
Individual

• Registration Fee 4/10/16 - 4/11/16: $100
  • Registration Fee after 4/11/16: $125
  • Registration Fee after 5/8/16: $200
  • Registration Fee after 1/8/17: $250
  • Registration Fee after 3/8/17: $300 (base price)

Clearly, it's not a particular deal at all with 'normal' registration times, but if you get it on that first day because you're so inclined, I think it's pretty tough to beat $100 for a well-run HIM. (I've done this race as it was legit.)

Even before 5/8/16, $125 for a HIM is a steal. (WTC HIM Santa Cruz is $275 for early reg, $325 for late.)
Last edited by: lightheir: Dec 7, 16 16:22
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i see your point. but are you reading the HITS palm springs race reports? is this just a palm springs issue, where it seems to so often end up like this? or is this a national issue? because, again, value isn't just cheap. it's cheap for what you get.

i don't want to color your view. i'm simply asking.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake Logan Half - $135 early, $155 normal. Beautiful course with an idyllic mountain lake swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i see your point. but are you reading the HITS palm springs race reports? is this just a palm springs issue, where it seems to so often end up like this? or is this a national issue? because, again, value isn't just cheap. it's cheap for what you get.

No, I haven't read the issues re: HITS Palm springs.

I can only comment on the HITS Napa, which I did a few years back, and aside from a smaller field, much less hype, and less of a postrace food spread, it was a well run race, which I consider strong value.

I myself could care less about the medal, the hype, the announcers, and honestly, for me the crazy crowds at WTC events turn me off and decrease the value of the race to me, although I fully understand that many (most!) triathletes feed off the energy and are glad to pay extra for the hype.

Of course, if the race is a cluster...., it's poor value!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

IMU, the issues with HITS palm springs are primarily there.

Even though I live well within drive distance (San Diego), I did not reg for the HITS palm spring race but will be doing the Napa race this year despite the travel involved, based on reports of the PS race being bad and the Napaa race being good.

ETA : which kind of exactly hits on what you are asking. The HITS price for palm springs is not a good value to me, even at 100 for a half, but the HITS Napa IS a good value to me at the exact same price point because the logistics and course are better.
Last edited by: davejustdave: Dec 7, 16 16:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fly-by-Night duathlon.

You race on a NASCAR track.
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Triple T- Race all weekend for the price of a 70.3

How is Triple T not all over this thread?

Hereyago for 2017:

Friday, June 2nd, 2017 at 5:00 P.M.Race #1: Super SprintSaturday, June 3rd, 2017 7:30 A.M.Race #2: Olympic/Sprint AMSaturday, June 3rd, 2017 3:00 P.M.Race #3: Olympic/Sprint PMSunday, June 4th, 2017 at 7:00 A.M.Race #4: Half Iron/Olympic

The races are on big (by east standards) hills in the Southeast Ohio. Limited number of participants (a couple hundred?). Individual and team divisions. Beautiful forest, lakes, farm country, no traffic ever. Fire road run up and down a hill. A cold lake to soak in between / after races. Incredible race production and food, Shannon always puts on a fantastic event. Great atmosphere because it's all of us against that friggin' hill. And you get a technical top, and there are prizes.

You can run all four races for the low price of $250. That's right, $250.

------------------

- I do all my own stunts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the HITS Napa race this year (sprint) and thought it was great. Well-organized, nice course, plenty of volunteers. Also, the sprint is $40 for early registration. I almost paid it but was so pissed off by the USAT fees and active.com fees making it suddenly $60 that I decided to wait and see...

Anyway, I still thought it was a great value.
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [kells] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The "Night Moves" series at Santa Barbara is a great value
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
Slowman wrote:
the race where you get more for less. the best bang for your buck. where you walked away saying, "that's a lotta race, a great experience, for the money i paid."

The best value of any triathlon I have done was the Strive Multisport Triathlon in Drums, PA. They had the inaugural event this year.

For $95 you get:
  • an Olympic distance tri with a great course, including a closed bike leg -- except for 3/4 mile with a coned off shoulder
  • standard WTC-like tech t-shirt
  • great bar-type food after the race (chicken fingers, pasta salad, misc. sammiches, and even brownies and cake)
  • really generous awards (for winners $100 gift card with host, Strive Multisport -- Trek/Spesh dealer -- plus nice hoodie and other minor swag)
  • awesome FREE professional race photos easily as good as Finisher Pix (this is such a great benefit)
  • grassroots, supportive vibe
While I may be biased because my home is a half mile from the swim start, I don't know any other race where you get so much for so little, and I really don't do smaller races because I think they almost universally suck. Anyways, this Oly is only two hours from NYC and Philly, so I am hoping to rally more people to make the trip out for the second annual event. I'm quite certain that Strive and the other sponsors lose a good amount of money putting this event on, but they do it to build a sense of community for multisport/endurance athletes in Northeast Pennsylvania, which ultimately helps them thrive as a retail outlet and training center too. Win win.

Definitely keeping an eye on this for 2017!

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [jczech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocketman in Huntsville, AL. Race was put on like any other small local race but it had great competition and the race director was great.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Ratsnake Triathlon, in central NY $40 (18k trail run/ 29mi bike/ 26yd swim... yes yards). Tough hilly course, old school vibe, great camping/ cabins w/in walking distance of start and right on run course, so spectator friendly. Great old school vibe, huge spread of food and plentiful craft beer afterwards.

The Lake Placid Mini-Tri Series (hosted by High Peaks Cycling) is also incredible value. $20 and top-3 in each age-group get actual prizes (product/gear) a bunch of good raffles. No transition racks, very few course markings, but fun, challenging event, and can get some really strong competitors. Runs eight weeks in the summer, third Monday in June through third Monday in August (I believe).

John Hartpence, Athlete & Coach
tripence@gmail.com, @coachpence
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did HITS Napa last year, which is not actually close to Napa [city] since it is up at Lake Berryessa, but the race went great. Beautiful location and scenery, nice lake, great bike course with some climbs, and rolling out and back run. I don't know how they manage to have so many problems at Palm Springs, because Napa was done well and despite probably not going back to Palm Springs I will give Napa another go next year.

Anyway I think Chicago Triathlon is a great value. The triple challenge is $280 for three (plus the cumulative) races, the Oly by itself is $145, a very professional production that is a great location and in a great host city. A bike course on lower wacker drive where Batman was filmed is quite an experience. Full lanes of traffic are closed down so the bike course is very safe, the lower Wacker Drive portion is completely closed for the race, The swim is about as safe as any open water swim could be given that it runs parallel to the edge of the lake, and the run course has got some great scenery too. Add 100 tourist things to do as a destination race, and I'd say it has some pretty great value.
Last edited by: seeyouincourt: Dec 7, 16 17:55
Quote Reply

Prev Next