Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Dec. 5 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 5 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started tigerchik.

SoCalTricurious wrote:
This week, I am basically just getting back to normal. I am riding my bike tomorrow (first time in 3.5 weeks!) and swimming, lifting or running Thursday and trying to find my groove again.

I'm doing an Olympic distance race this weekend. I plan to treat it as a brick (my training partner is doing the half distance and cheering/sherpaing for him is the real reason for the trip) and hope it kickstarts my training and serves as a good benchmark -- I have a lot of work to do but now that I'm healthy enough to train I am really ready to hit it and figure out my 2017 goals.

Rode, swam, and lifted and ran as planned last week and our race weekend went great.

On Saturday, my training partner raced the half distance -- a cold swim, windy bike, and hot, dusty run -- and finished in the top ten among men with a huge PR (woo!) I couldn't have been prouder to sherpa for him and see his progress this year. On Sunday, he was my sherpa (and emergency mechanic) for the Olympic distance. This was my first triathlon in six months and it went well.

I had my best swim yet -- more than five minutes faster than my first Olympic last May. I guess I know what the silver lining of spending nearly half the year on the runner's disabled list was... But seriously, I'm super duper proud of my swim progress. In a year, we went from being unable to hold our faces in the water to coming out of the water mid-pack with big, silly grins :D Don't tell running, but I think I accidentally fell in love with swimming.

My bike split was good. I ended up having to borrow a friend's road bike last minute (I was planning to ride my CX but the axle hub got damaged -- doctor's orders still have me upright since he blames the bike fit/aero for the strain in my hips that took me out this summer). Her bike was a little small for me but I just tried to stay in a position where I didn't feel crunched and could give my hips some clearance if that makes any sense.

For the run, my hips were right but not painful so I just took a comfortable pace with a shorter gait. I didn't push my body to a place where it wasn't ready to go. It was my slowest 10K by minutes but I'm trying really, really hard to be kind to my body given where I am in the rebuilding/recovering process and with respect to current fitness. That was mentally hard but I did find it amusing to see my strengths so flipped in a year.

Overall, had a good race, won my age group, and am glad to be back in action!

Now my rookie season is officially over. I may have missed half of it but am still really happy and have loved racing and training for triathlon. Also, I really enjoy reading about everyone's racing and training and progress in this forum. Go Womens!

Next up for me, will be getting a real bike fit. I am hoping to get on a tri bike by end of January so I can put in work on the bike to get comfortable and faster. I'll also continue working on my swim, slowly add some intensity to my run this winter.

I hope everyone has a great week!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's plans:
- Skate 2x + ref all day Sat - DONE and what a gong show the meet was (super unorganized up to the last minute, I had to DQ/penalize so many skaters my penalty book ran out of entries and almost yellow carded several coaches - but at least my daughter had a fantastic meet - no I do not ref when she's on the ice, the assistant takes over)
- Run or cable/dryland 2x - DONE
- Ride 1x - DONE but ... [rant coming] I was supposed to get in a 2nd ride with P on Sunday morning. We had friends coming over at noon to do a big prep/bake/dinner day, but the weather was going to be good so we had agreed to get out from at least 9 til 11, 11:30. Sat night he says "I gotta be home by 10:30 to change my tires over to XC knobbies so I can ride with the boys at 11". Um what? you made plans with me remember? "well I thought this way I could get in a 2nd ride". Since it was my turn to walk the dog, I finish that up at like 9:15, so I tell him "forget it, I'm not interested in going out for 1hr". He goes for his ride with the boys and then wonders why I'm unhappy.

Wtf?

Then somehow it's MY fault because "noon" wasn't clear enough to him. Oh and because I don't ride "hard enough" when we go out.

Double WTF?

He eventually apologizes but I am seriously just thinking I won't even bother asking to ride with him (or heck letting his tag along on any of my rides ie: part way to my work). So frustrated.

[rant off]

This week's plans: We got SNOW today (this morning) so anything can happen
- Skate 3x (no more meets til Jan!)
- Run 2x
- Cables/dryland 1x
- Ride 1x.
- Get offer for new (old) job - way better pay and way better commute (4k vs 25k) - this was a job I had ~5.5 yrs ago but left due to the CEO being a dick. CEO's gone, my old boss (COO at the time) is back and is new CEO and needs help rebuilding the company the old CEO ran into the ground. Super stoked. Ready to get back the 10-15hrs/week I lose commuting.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Howdy, ladies!

Great week last week - a bit of a rest week for me.

2x 1 hour TrainerRoad

Did my annual training trail run during lunch break at the annual tax update. PR by almost 2 minutes! A day of torture sitting and listening to all the updated tax laws turned positive by a 4.5 mile up the mountain and back down in less than 60 minutes while all the other CPAs gorge on lunch.

Logged 14 mile trail run in prep for 25k trail race this weekend. A PR on this route! What is happening!? It was very cold and miserably windy. But the visibility was incredible.

Also, finally jumped back in the pool after nearly 40 days off. No reason for the break other than wasn't digging a swim. Did the first workout in the Guppy challenge. Much improvement is needed. I'm gonna do it. I swear it. It is time.

This week: Resting the legs so they are fresh for this weekend's MdO 25k race. Hoping the slight chance of rain is very slight! Gonna get some more pool time in, do just 1 TrainerRoad session, and a few jogs to keep the cobwebs away.

Rock on!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 5 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on your AG win!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 5 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPants, I know you have some Dutch heritage - gelukkig sinterklaasavond!

Glad K had a good meet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yay, thank you I needed that! :-)

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals for this week: 5 swims 6 done!, 5 rides done!, day off from running done!

I had a good week with 10,100 yds of swimming, 33 mi cycling, and 51 miles running.
My skype interview went well - I know this because they called today and I got an on campus interview! That will be mid-January!!!
I also got a no from another school, but I wasn't really expecting a yes from them - hence I'm disappointed but not heartbroken.
Food stuff has been going okay, I'd say 6.5/7 which is my best week in awhile.

I fly home tonight :D
goals this week: swim 3x (1 done), ride 2x, day off from running.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow that's fantastic news! Fingers crossed! :-)

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Safe travels. And double yay for the on-campus interview!

My week was a wash. Only managed 3.25 hours of the cycling I had planned. It was going well until Thursday when I woke up feeling sick. Bloated stomach, nausea, stomach cramps and I was starving but eating made all the symptoms worse. Friday I eventually felt better but didn't want to push things so did an easy ride. Sat & Sun were the rope course again and I was just too tired to even get on the bike. Oh well.

To add to the joy, the transmission malfunctioned on one of our vehicles so we are down to one car, just as the temperature drops to -20C and below so I don't really want to walk anywhere. It's the second transmission malfunction in 11 months (luckily still under warranty) so I'm keen to get rid of this vehicle soon.

This week: not sure what I'll manage but I'd like to ride at least 3 times for 3.5 hours with at least one higher intensity ride. I have my rope rescue exam on Saturday so that's my main focus this week.

On the bright side, my to-do list for things that MUST be done before we leave is looking more manageable, AND I made the "guaranteed by Xmas" deadline for my international Christmas cards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowly working on getting run miles back up. Been doing "runner yoga" 2-3x per week, and I think it's helping, along with the dry needling.
So last week I was able to run 25.6 miles. Hoping to increase this week to 30. There's a run on Feb. 11 that's a 25k that I would really like to sign up for. A buddy is doing it and it sounds extremely fun.
Been taking a break from the bike as CX is over. Though I kind of wish it wasn't. I had to miss this past Saturday's race due to being on call. Only ONE MORE on call weekend left. Unfortunately it's Christmas weekend. Christmas eve, the day of, and the day after. Ugh. Yucko. Last day on current job will be Dec. 30. Then I'm on to a much shorter commute! 30 mins or so, probably more like 35 instead of 60-75!!

Still wish I had like one more CX race. The last 'race' I did was a goofy non-serious one... the last serious one was a near disaster for me... and I would love to end on a more "up" note - but there's a distinct lack of races plus I'm running into get togethers and other Christmas commitments.

The dark days are getting to me. I put up a bunch of Christmas lights.

This week - run 30mi. Swim 2x. Do the yoga, strength train 2x. Do my PT exercises.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks tigerchik and congratulation on the interview, fingers crossed!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 5 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Woo! Way to go SLOgoing! Good luck this weekend too.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 5 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope your week gets better Scheherazade!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 5 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Tonight is cookbook club at my local library and the theme is "Christmas baking" so I can always just try to put myself in a sugar coma ;-)

(I am taking chocolate gingerbread; a friend is taking Grand Marnier truffles.)

Re your open water improvement, what do you think made the difference? Was it lots of open water practice?
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 5 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade, beginners luck? :D In all seriousness, I think it's a few things:

Starting at zero meant meant big progress as I figured out the mechanics but it also meant I had no bad habits to correct/overcome. Marginal gains will be much harder to make.

I went from not swimming at all (as in literally could not get across the long course last December) to swimming at least three days a week, including a weekly lesson for two months and a regular ocean swim as part of a large group. Swimming often helped me get more comfortable in the water and less likely to freak out and flip over to backstroke in a race, swimming in a group helped me get used to being in the pack and being swum over, and swimming with much faster/better/experienced swimmers helped motivate and encourage me. The group I swim in the ocean with is an amazing community of swimmers and triathletes of all levels of athleticism -- from dead beginners to Olympic gold medalists -- that offered tips, encouragement, articles to read, etc...

When I got hurt this summer, swimming was the only thing I could do so I just focused all my training energy on it. I swam at least 2K consistently every other day and signed up for open ocean races. I needed something to focus on to keep me from losing my mind not being able to run or bike so I decided I would make myself a "rugged ocean swimmer."

It also helped that I came into swimming with some physical advantages -- a big aerobic base and good proprioception from an athletic background combined with my weirdly long arms.

And finally, having someone along for the ride made a big difference. When we signed up for our 70.3, my training partner didn't really swim either. It made a big difference to have someone else along for the ride / waking up early to embarrass themselves in the slow lane / supporting each other.

All that said, I still hate the pool and can't flip turn.

Last edited by: SoCalTricurious: Dec 5, 16 16:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, my first "training" week in years. Got in everything that was planned, except for one swim. It's rinse and repeat for the next 7 weeks: 3 swims, 3 bikes and 6 walk/jog.

Started going through strength training materials, as that will be a big part of my winter focus. Had to scratch off at least three different programs I had done in the past, as they contained explosive movements that would not be a good match for my back issues. I hope to settle on a plan in the next week or so.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Womens kicking ass all over the place - congrats on your successes and best wishes to those that are trying to regroup!

Last week's goals:
swim x 2: win
bike x 1: FAIL. It was cold & miserable all weekend and I was sniffly, so no ride.
run x 6: win with 7
core/strength x 4: win

I also have most of my Christmas shopping done and got the cards out to the further-flung places that need extra shipping time.

Lots of trail running along rivers in the dark this weekend. Did 22.5k on the Cambridge to Paris trail on Saturday evening starting about 20mins after sunset - freaked my husband out (he drove to a trailhead further down and walked up to meet me) because I didn't turn my headlamp on until almost the halfway point, after I'd met up with him. The moon was just a sliver but it was bright enough to run by until I got into the evergreens.

Had planned to get the Christmas lights up on the outside of the house on Sunday afternoon & maybe even get to run in daylight, but plans were derailed by a leaky kitchen sink drain. Fortunately, I managed to fix it, a very minor drip from our kitchen faucet, a cabinet door that refused to stay shut (and kept sacking my husband while he was doing dishes), and clean up some damage under the sink as well.

New slip joint, collar, washer and connector - the old collar fell to pieces when I put a pipe wrench on it to take it off! Parents: teach your kids to DO STUFF. What could have been days of waiting and $200+ for a plumber to fix cost me an $8 trip to the hardware store and a couple of hours of my time.

Wanted to run some singletrack but it was dark again by the time I could get out and I'm still trying to take things easy on my (much-better-feeling) ankle, so it was some more rail trail by headlamp...just as it started to snow.

So I feel like I earned myself a bit of trailrunner cred. Need to be careful, though - I went from a full week off to 52k of running from Nov 21-27, then meant to take things a little easier on the increase this past week. Ran 63k, so bit of a fail there. A local race director is putting on a 3-hour "festive fun run" (no cost - no clock - noone left behind) this Saturday at Huron Natural Area, so I'm looking forward to a return to singletrack and some party-pace running, but can't afford to get injured.