Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Cyber Monday (11/28) Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Nov 28, 16 9:30
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Cyber Monday (11/28) Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals for this week:
day off from running done, ran 5x
swim 7 miles (1 done) nope
bike 5x yup!!
get a bunch of schoolwork done... I fly home in 2 weeks!!! yup, did a good job with this

I had a pretty good week. 3 swims (6600 yds), 5 rides (67 mi), 5 runs (41.7 mi).

I fly home next Monday and I can't wait.

I have a Skype interview with one school this week. Another wrote last week and is not interested, which is a letdown as it's a place I really like. The rest can call back anytime; I am feeling impatient!

Goals for this week: 5 swims, 5 rides, day off from running

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer about the "no", but at least they got back to you and didn't leave you in limbo. I'm sure there will be good things coming for you.

My big accomplishment was finishing watching Gilmore Girls last night. The baby was restless and it's really the only quiet time I get.

I tracked food for a couple weeks - it's tedious, but my eating has been reigned in at least. The weight loss is slow, but I'm still breastfeeding so it will probably take a while.

I'm loving my weekly soccer and fitting in biking/running when I can. I really need a strength plan (and then I need to stick with it).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear you didn't get the answer you were looking for TC - best of luck with the upcoming interview!

Last week's goals:
swim x 1: win
bike x 1: win
run x 5: win with 6
core/strength x 4: win

Back to running - was supposed to be a good girl this weekend and stick to groomed trail to make sure I didn't do any damage to my ankle, but I was out on some new-to-me trail and when I found an opening into some singletrack I couldn't resist going exploring.

Sunday was our monthly brunch with friends in Guelph, so I got to run some of my favourite bits along the Speed River.

Got my first double run day in yesterday in over a month - easy 5.5km at lunch + another 5.3k after work. The second run was my first test of a pair of Altra shoes: the Torin 2.5. They're ugly as sin, but oh my - so plush and bouncy, just perfect for my 4th run in 3 days. Have a pair of Paradigm 1.5s I bought on a Black Friday sale coming, too, and hope I'm as happy with them. The Torins might just be the shoe I use for the indoor track 8-hour in January!

This week's goals:
swim x 2
bike x 1
run x 6
core/strength x 4

Going to be tougher to convince myself to cycle down to the farmers' market on Saturday mornings as my trail access gets cut off the day after tomorrow (they're demolishing a bridge; it won't re-open until 2018) and the weather worsens, but I hope to find some time to maybe get another ride in with Tank on the weekend - he's only been out maybe twice this year.

Last edited by: mistressk: Nov 29, 16 9:14
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Cyber Monday (11/28) Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of strength plan are you after edbikebabe? Weights/bodyweight?

My goals were 7:15 of cycling over 5 rides. I rode 5 times but ditched one ride early to land up with 6:30 for the week. I'm not going to beat myself up about it. I tried really hard to keep going on that workout, and even tried lowering the intensity but I just couldn't focus enough to get through it.

The rope rescue course is using up a lot of my brain power - three evenings last week and both days at the weekend. We were rapelling on Sunday and I woke up yesterday with all these little muscles in my back/shoulders making themselves known.

Physio has not been going well - I just don't feel motivated to do the exercises at all.

For this week: another 5 rides/7:15 goal. Go to physio on Weds and see where I am. It'll probably be my last appointment until the new year. Less than 2 weeks until we go on holiday. Counting down the days now!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Cyber Monday (11/28) Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are you holidaying?

We are going away in Feb. Now that I finally have a plan for where to leave the dog I can get excited about going.

Bodyweight and weights. I have 10 & 20lbs dumbbells (although the 20 are too heavy right now - oh how far I've fallen).

I need to do some serious core work and upper body. It makes a huge difference, but I like cardio better, so if there isn't enough time I ditch the strength stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's plans:
- Skate 3x (+ coach 2x) - DONE
- Run EZ 2x - my R calf still doesn't like going up hills, so take it easy is the protocol - FAIL - substituted 1 run for cable/dryland work as it was just pouring/dark/cold out.
- Ride 1x maybe 2x - the weather is just crap right now ok I'll be honest it's been raining almost non-stop since early Oct and I am going stir crazy. Worse it's not even cold enough for snow on the mountains at least then I could go xc skiing. Bah! One of these rides might be a trainer ride... :-( - WINNER WINNER with 4 outside rides.
- Investigating a personal trainer for a 6-8 stint to re-kick start my fitness (felt the loss this morning after skating) - Nothing done here. I'll admit I'm a bit cheap so ... it's not a priority? yet? :-)

This week:
- Skate 2x + ref all day Sat
- Run or cable/dryland 2x
- Ride 1x

The refereeing all day Sat really puts a cramp on the plans. After this meet I have 2 more meets to ref (1 in early Jan and I'm trying to trade off a March one for a different one in Jan so I can race in March).

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoops. Putting this in the right thread and blaming the jet lag.

Hello!

I've been traveling for the last three weeks. I had an amazing time but am back in California now and am eager to get back to training/eating my own food/sleeping on my own schedule.

While in Japan, I ran and swam a few times (Japanese swim etiquette is fascinating!) but really wasn't training. The trip was wonderful -- I ate and drank all sorts of wonderful things and truly enjoyed myself. Afterward, I spent Thanksgiving with my family where I ran my favorite trails, did our hometown turkey trot (my niece did her first race!), and generally had a wonderful time not exercising :D

I've done a lot of base training since I started running again and I'm feeling good and like I can start upping my intensity -- it will be good to get on the track and do some hill repeats. I am also getting a real bike fit next week and am hopeful I can can back on my tri bike (or a different tri bike?!) in the next few weeks.

This week, I am basically just getting back to normal. I am riding my bike tomorrow (first time in 3.5 weeks!) and swimming, lifting or running Thursday and trying to find my groove again.

I'm doing an Olympic distance race this weekend. I plan to treat it as a brick (my training partner is doing the half distance and cheering/sherpaing for him is the real reason for the trip) and hope it kickstarts my training and serves as a good benchmark -- I have a lot of work to do but now that I'm healthy enough to train I am really ready to hit it and figure out my 2017 goals.

I hope everyone is happy and healthy and that all the Americans had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Cyber Monday (11/28) Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
South Africa. Friends of ours are having a big wedding in Durban so we are heading over. And since it's such a long way away, we're making the most of it and touring around for a couple of weeks afterwards. I'm getting quite excited as it's been a while since we've been somewhere "new" and also because we've been planning this for nearly a year! (We are already planning for November 2017 as well - we are not particularly impulsive when it comes to travelling!)

Where are you guys going?

Would workout videos like Insanity or the Jillian Michaels stuff appeal to you? When I was heavier, it was a combo of the rowing machine and JM that got me to lose 20lb.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Cyber Monday (11/28) Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will have to tell us about swimming in Japan. And Japan in general. The OH wants to go there but I'm not that keen (not sure why). Sounds like you had a wonderful break!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been quite a while since I posted in this thread. I'm in year 4 of recovery from a series of very serious and disabling injuries. I'm now able to do easy swims and cycling, as long as I'm very, very careful about limiting the intensity. Running remains a challenge, as anything intense triggers pain and flare-ups. Currently, my post-injury run "PR" is one minute walk/four minute jog for 3 miles.

Last year I completed several sprint and oly aquabikes. I've set my sights on an early summer half for this year, with a plan to fall back to the aquabike if the run isn't going to happen. I just want to finish--not compete--although in my AG finishing can be competing!

I'm starting a 24 week training cycle this week, composed of 8-week base, 8-week build, 8-week half specific. Did a LTHR/power test on the bike yesterday to set my thresholds in that sport. Ouch--quite a drop in power! My only goal in running is to train consistently and be mindful to avoid flareups that disrupt training. Got back in the pool for the first time in months last week, and felt as though I had forgotten how to swim. Swimming is the least challenging injury wise. It will be interesting to see how long/what it takes to get my times down in that sport.

Goals for this week are:
swim 3x
bike 3x
walk/jog 6x
PT 1x; home exercise 2x day
figure out core/pelvic stability training plan

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Cyber Monday (11/28) Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy to see you and my fingers are crossed that you can train for and complete the half.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Cyber Monday (11/28) Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DURBS! Make sure you get some Bunny Chow while you are down there. :-) And if you can do the giant swing at the stadium - DO IT!

We stayed in Durban, Pietermaritzburg, Drakensberg Mtns (Speinkoep), Port Elizabeth & Cape Town. I can't wait to go back for Two Oceans for my 50th!

So luckee!

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So jealous!! South Africa is on my bucket list.

Not so exotic for us - Las Vegas for a family reunion. I've never been and we are going to the Grand Canyon, so at least there's that. And there will be lots of family around to babysit.

I'm not really into videos. I feel ridiculous doing them for some reason.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Cyber Monday (11/28) Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your enthusiasm! I needed that after a whole bunch of people in the last week telling me about how unsafe it is and how they're surprised and really concerned that we're going. I really don't get why they need to project their fears about the developing world onto me. Let's not even get started on some of the super-racist comments that have been made (by POC about PO a different C). /end rant

The Bunny Chow is well in hand. Some relatives of the bride are picking us up at Jo'burg airport and I think they're being given instructions to feed us Bunny Chow that night so that when we go to Durban the following day we can decide which has the better food.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll have to do a MistressK style photo post just for the Grand Canyon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, TC!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We never felt unsafe and we walked all over those places. Many of our hosts cautioned us about certain areas and times ie: night time, but we still walked around at night time :-). I'd say the place that did the best job at perpetuating the White fear of Blacks was Port Elizabeth. Man they need to give their heads a shake. CT felt much more open minded about race/less of an issue; Durbs has a weird mix of Black, Indian and White, and there is more tension between Indian & Black (they hate each other) than Black & White (they ignore each other). We did not get to Jo'burg and I've heard bad stories about that city. We have quite a few friends from RSA and even they said avoid Jo'burg if you can. So we did.

Beautiful country and almost everyone we met was friendly and open to us, we think (hope) that it was because we treated them openly and honestly - but we also live in a pretty multicultural city and aren't phased by skin colour or accent. Attitude goes a long way when travelling right? :-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great week. I've been hitting my goals and my run is improving. I just haven't been getting in the pool.

Mon: Rest - needed!
Tues: 1 hour Trainerroad - done
Wed: 6 mile run - done
Thu: Turkey day - didn't do a Turkey Trot :-( But my kid was home for the day (age 20)!!
Fri: 1 hour Trainerroad + 5 mile run - done
Sat: 2 hour Trainerroad - done
Sun: 17 mile trail run in the rain - done
Total: 10:20

I also just joined my local running club. That is a first for me. This last year I have notice an incredible surge in other people out running my trails. Then on Sunday a small army of trail runners appeared from out in the middle of nowhere, in the cold rain, when I was at about mile 11. I figured they must be coming from somewhere. Turns out we have a new local SLO Trail Runners club. So, what the heck. Signed up. Turns out that 1/2 the people are my clients. So random. Going on my first run with them next weekend.

We have a local tri club. But I've never joined up. I'm such a loner! I might take the plunge in 2017.

Trying to get myself pumped up to get back in the pool. My off season focus is run and swim. I have a lot of progress yet to be had there.

Sunday's Trail Run...

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Cyber Monday (11/28) Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know where you're located, but there is a race in Grand Rapids, Mich. that offers both half- and full-distance aquabike: Michigan Titanium

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Cyber Monday (11/28) Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip.

Quote Reply