Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Here we go--again
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...is_This%3F!_P6145174

I can't decide which is worse: some of the comments, or that this woman participates in these photo shoots.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Here we go--again [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just saw that thread on the tri forum. Was very disappointed to see it and the comments.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Stop_the_Press!!!_Who_is_This%3F!_P6145174

I can't decide which is worse: some of the comments, or that this woman participates in these photo shoots.

It's her own Instagram so she's obviously fine with the photos and that's her prerogative. Definitely the comments are worse, but nice to see some of the guys calling out the assholes.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm unsure what my first thought was, either ugh! or why was it on the tri forum - seems LR material.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Here we go--again [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It's her own Instagram so she's obviously fine with the photos and that's her prerogative.

I know. I agree that it's her prerogative. I think it would be better if she were promoting her results, not her body. It's that kind of behavior that may lead tri manufacturers to "pink and shrink," basing products on color and fashion instead of efficiency and gains. Prime example being the short shorts on tri suits for women.

Last edited by: Tri3: Nov 19, 16 6:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally couldn't get past the second picture where her sunglasses are upside down. WTF is that ?
Quote Reply
Re: Here we go--again [cassidyfit1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cassidyfit1 wrote:
I personally couldn't get past the second picture where her sunglasses are upside down. WTF is that ?

It's a really common way to keep your sunglasses stuck in your helmet when you aren't wearing them.
Quote Reply
Re: Here we go--again [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aaaaaah I never knew that !!!
Thanks for clarifying :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the shit that really makes me consider leaving Slowtwitch for good.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Here we go--again [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please don't. There's always the womens forum.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever, she's an adult. I think she's gorgeous. If I looked like that, I'd prolly do the same. Question to you all: what if she was the nicest person you ever met but looked the way she does? I have a friend who is v. good looking and smart and funny and the sweetest person ever. Why do we assume very attractive people are always jerks? (I know statisically that may be more common haha but its certainly not true in all cases.)

Comments are always disappointing but not surprising.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Here we go--again [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is not easy to answer. I know a girl who looks to be built like Traci Lords. Very nice girl, smart, great runner. I never thought she would be a jerk (based on her looks). But her style of dress does give me pause. I personally feel like she does herself a disservice via her style of dress. However - truth be told - so do I, but for the opposite reasons.

I think one of the things I like about sport is enjoying it with other people, and some of those people are often men. In this we-are-all-enjoying-sport-together environment, I like to think of us as asexual beings - just people enjoying the same past time w/o sexual attraction coming in to it. In this we-are-all-enjoying-sport-together way, I feel great camaraderie with my fellow sport enthusiasts. Throw sexual attraction in and the dynamic changes. So to me, the subject of that thread on the main forum is ruining my enjoyment of the sport b/c now I'm not just a fellow athlete, but a woman not as hot as so-and-so.

In short, she's gorgeous and I'm insecure. Shame on her!

Quote Reply
Re: Here we go--again [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I'm not a fan of dressing like a jamtart just any old time - there's a time & place for that. It drives me nuts when women dress provocatively at work for example, or when expecting to be taken seriously. I work in a very male-dominated industry. If I want to be taken seriously for my brains and abilities, even if I looked as she does, I couldn't dress provocatively at work. I have a hard enough time in steel toes and work gear being taken seriously, and usually being the boss makes it harder.

I guess you do make a good point re: sport - as another place and time that men and women come together to share in common activities. I don't want a sexualized environment there, just like work. If I did, I'd be a stripper and participate in honey wrestling as my sport. :-)

So is there a way to tone down the sexuality in sport, in sporting environments? since it won't ever be removed... pretty tough with all that lycra...

Now - more important q: what's her 40k TT look like? :-) Cuz if she's FAST then it really doesn't matter haha

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A way to tone down sexuality in sports...

I doubt it. Volleyball, cheerleading uniforms... I was watching figure skating last night and was sad one skater had such a thin underside / back to her costume - pretty much looked to be skating in a thong with a skirt. Made me sad.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndyPants wrote:
Whatever, she's an adult. I think she's gorgeous. If I looked like that, I'd prolly do the same. Question to you all: what if she was the nicest person you ever met but looked the way she does? I have a friend who is v. good looking and smart and funny and the sweetest person ever. Why do we assume very attractive people are always jerks? (I know statisically that may be more common haha but its certainly not true in all cases.)

Comments are always disappointing but not surprising.

AP

If I looked like her, I'd dress like that too!

And re your question - how many times has there been someone who you were really wrong about once you got to know them?

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndyPants wrote:
Oh I'm not a fan of dressing like a jamtart just any old time - there's a time & place for that. It drives me nuts when women dress provocatively at work for example, or when expecting to be taken seriously. I work in a very male-dominated industry. If I want to be taken seriously for my brains and abilities, even if I looked as she does, I couldn't dress provocatively at work. I have a hard enough time in steel toes and work gear being taken seriously, and usually being the boss makes it harder.

I guess you do make a good point re: sport - as another place and time that men and women come together to share in common activities. I don't want a sexualized environment there, just like work. If I did, I'd be a stripper and participate in honey wrestling as my sport. :-)

So is there a way to tone down the sexuality in sport, in sporting environments? since it won't ever be removed... pretty tough with all that lycra...

Now - more important q: what's her 40k TT look like? :-) Cuz if she's FAST then it really doesn't matter haha

AP

Actually, with social media being what it is, her 40k TT probably doesn't matter as much as the number of instagram likes she can get. It likely matters less in triathlon, but I've seen first hand the effects of this in cycling as my elite team folded this year:

http://blog.amandabatty.com/...g-program-sucks.html
Quote Reply
Re: Here we go--again [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True - very few times and unfortunately usually the opposite (thought they were nice turned out evil).

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just curious: what's wrong with this woman participating in these shoots? In her sports pics, she's wearing pretty normal cycling clothes. In her personal pictures, she's dressed pretty modestly.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Here we go--again [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's what I don't get either. If I looked like her I would too. I dunno.

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Here we go--again [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My problem is with the comments made in the post. She can wear what she likes.

That said, I know a 75 year old who lusts after the photos Emily Batty posts on social media. The guy looks like Mr. Burns but he personifies the dirty old man stereotype. I can only assume what he's doing behind closed doors. Before posting any photo of myself, I consider whether or not I'd want someone like that seeing that particular photo of me.
Quote Reply
Re: Here we go--again [banana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
banana wrote:
My problem is with the comments made in the post. She can wear what she likes.

That said, I know a 75 year old who lusts after the photos Emily Batty posts on social media. The guy looks like Mr. Burns but he personifies the dirty old man stereotype. I can only assume what he's doing behind closed doors. Before posting any photo of myself, I consider whether or not I'd want someone like that seeing that particular photo of me.

There are a billion people in the world. Life is too short to worry about what some dude/dudette may be doing looking at a random picture. IMO.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndyPants wrote:
that's what I don't get either. If I looked like her I would too. I dunno.

Honestly, the stuff she posts seems to be pretty normal for young women, regardless of what they look like. She just happens to be gorgeous, and for that reason, seems to be taking some flak. I know a few women in their 20's-30's, who are in to triathlon, who have very similar pictures on their instagram: them biking, running, racing, out on the town, etc. I'm not sure why this woman is warranting special attention for how she is appearing in her pictures, as it seems pretty par for the course.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply