Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fastest Aero Helmets?
Quote | Reply
I'm having a hard time finding aero data or comparisons for aero helmets? I'm looking for a fast helmet with a visor. I've been looking at the Rudy Project Wing57 and the Giro Aerohead MIPS. From what I've read, the Rudy one isn't as aero as it's said to be, but I cant find any hard data like you can easily find on wheels (charts, etc.). I'm open to suggestions as well.
Last edited by: Born Aero: Nov 17, 16 18:03
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [Born Aero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is all subjective anyway, as it depends on your body position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Aerohead and the LG p-09 are generally considered some of the most consistent performers across a wide range of body shapes.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [ffips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ffips wrote:
It is all subjective anyway, as it depends on your body position.

This. There is the fastest for you and fastest for everyone else, but you'll need to test to find what works. I have soft spots for the Bell Javelin and S-Works TT as they tend to not be poor and cover a couple of price points.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have mentioned, it depends. Are you a head back or head down racer? With my neck injuries I'm heads down which means the fastest helmet for me would not be the same as a head up rider. How it fits your head will play into this too.
Last edited by: Juanmoretime: Nov 19, 16 3:17
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still clinging to my Giro A2 based on the same premise (I ride head-up). Mind you, if you believe the Giro in-house data, even the Air Attack is faster than the A2 now.....

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [Juanmoretime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Juanmoretime wrote:
Are you a head back or head down racer?

Obviously position matters, but I am not sure just stating head position is a good determiner of whether a helmet is going to be fast or not. Now if you're talking about looking straight down then I agree that something without a pronounced tail is probably going to be better and since that type of head posture requires "peeking" then something like a Cerebel or Bambino would be good choices there. However, if by head down you mean something like my position:

Then I think the question is not as clear whether short, long, bulbous, narrow, etc. is better. You don't know unless you test. And I think body type and position might play a bigger role in what is a good helmet and what isn't. For me I am having my doubts as to how good the Cerebel is for me and am thinking of going back to my Selector (which tested very fast for me) or perhaps trying the S-Works.

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Nov 18, 16 6:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Head up
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
Juanmoretime wrote:
Are you a head back or head down racer?

Obviously position matters, but I am not sure just stating head position is a good determiner of whether a helmet is going to be fast or not. Now if you're talking about looking straight down then I agree that something with a pronounced tail is probably going to be better and since that type of head posture requires "peeking" then something like a Cerebel or Bambino would be good choices there. However, if by head down you mean something like my position:

Then I think the question is not as clear whether short, long, bulbous, narrow, etc. is better. You don't know unless you test. And It think body type and position might play a bigger role in what is a good helmet and what isn't. For me I am having my doubts as to how good the Cerebel is for me and am thinking of going back to my Selector (which tested very fast for me) or perhaps trying the S-Works.

My position looks pretty similar to yours. More head-up than down
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you ride head down, which helmet do you use?
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [nocolonstlrolln] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I currently use a Rudy Project Wingspan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how do you like that bambino @ BornAero??? i think i love more down than you and currently have a long wide tear drop helmet which i'm sure isn't helping me lol going to go with either a bambino or aerohead and call it a day regardless of the actual outcome, going for mostly looks

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to get too off-topic, but what base bar is that?

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is Felt's Bayonet III Devox and I was lucky enough to source one on the cheap. I'm not sure how many they made but this thing is about as adjustable as it gets and aero to boot.....well, SD claimed it to be second only to the 4.2:1 Bayonet II Devox.

Extensions are Zipps Ski Bend.

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Nov 18, 16 11:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am looking to invest in decent kit for next season. Decent meaning mid-range. I am keen on the Giro Aerohead MIPS mostly from what I have read on here and other forums. The problem is in not being able to test or try any. It is a bit of a leap of faith really. Do people go with gut feel a lot as I cannot see that everyone gets the opportunity to try a number of helmets in situations that give scientific feedback.

Similar thoughts on skin suits as well. You need to try on for size which isn't easy for everyone.

My foray into time trialling at the age of 60
https://sixtyplustimetrialling.wordpress.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [Johnnybike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you can't test for yourself you have two options in my mind.

- Pick one of the helmets that test well on a wide range of people (giro a2/selector, javelin, Spec TT, Aerohead, LP09, etc) and just assume it's not going to be terrible.
- Pick the one you think looks coolest... tell yourself it's the best.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Mind you, if you believe the Giro in-house data, even the Air Attack is faster than the A2 now.....

Giro is so silly

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [Johnnybike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since these 2 topics, skinsuits and helemts come up frequently and we've (ex-cyclist and I) helped with the design of a couple of them and tested more and have tested > 75 people there are a few rules of thumb to keep in mind if you're not going to test.

Go with the helmets that seem to work the best for the most number of people and avoid the helmets that seem to work the least often. The helmets that work most often are the Giro Advantage 2 (top 3 helmet about 90% of the time) LG P09 (top 3 helmet about 85% of the time -although when this one is bad it tends to do worse than the Giro A2). The new Giro Aerohead seems to be doing really well for most of the tests that I've seen, although I've only tested it on 1 person and it wasn't that great.

There are certain helmets to avoid bc they just aren't typically fast unless you're in the 5-10% of people super lucky. The Bambino, the Rudy projects, road aero helmets for TT's (yes we've tested them vs TT helmets)

Or go with leegohead's suggestion and buy the one you like the best if you're not going to test, even a slow TT helmet is faster than your road helmet but can be minutes slower than the right TT helmet.

When it comes to clothing it's all about the fit. You want very little to no wrinkles along the clavicles and shoulder/armpit area. You'll have some wrinkling but more is worse. You want sleeves that go down towards the crook in the elbow and you want the longest legs you can find. Basically cover as much skin as possible.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great advice Brian, thank you very much.
Leegohead, yes If I cannot prove which is the best for me personally I might as well go on preference.

My foray into time trialling at the age of 60
https://sixtyplustimetrialling.wordpress.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Solid advice. Do you know how the Specialized S-Works TT stacks up in testing compared to the Aerohead? I assume not as well since you didn't mention it.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Solid advice. Do you know how the Specialized S-Works TT stacks up in testing compared to the Aerohead? I assume not as well since you didn't mention it.

I would not assume that... lots of very fast ppl use the Sworks TT.. including ITT WC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha I like that. Maybe I'll design my own helmet and call it the leegohead.

Or maybe I'll dig up my old selector I cut up to try to turn into the snub tail ones like the pro's were using a few years ago and re brand it ;) The Giro Leegohead.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone ever done testing on the Casco SpeedTime?

It's been around for a couple of years but I've very rarely seen it mentioned and certainly don't remember seeing any educated comparisons.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Nov 27, 16 6:41
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Aero Helmets? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Do you know how the Specialized S-Works TT stacks up in testing compared to the Aerohead?

For you? Just choose one and hope you choose the fastest if you're not going to test.

I know in at least 1 test the Aerohead beat the S Works TT helmet by a couple of watts. Most likely you will get a different result should you test the two

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you seen if aero road helmets (evade or ballista) give any gains to a standard road helmet with a head-down position?

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply

Prev Next