Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? October 24 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? October 24 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am doing well! It is going to be a busy week at work - normal work stuff plus two work-related social evenings.

Quote:
Goals for this week - (1) get out of own way I get a C on this (2) bike 4x done and make bike miles more than run miles nope but I rode more than last week. Also, I spent more time on my bike than I did in the pool, which is rare for me, LOL (3) swim 12600 yds nope (4) take at least one day off from running. done

I am proud of these things this week:
- weekends are sometimes the hardest for me in terms of food, partially due to the unstructured time. I used my coping skills this weekend and it's the first weekend in awhile that I didn't have food issues :-)
- I had more variety than usual in my run distance
- my dissertation work is going well

Week looked like...
M: 10.5 mi run (progressive by 3 mi) + 1600 yd swim
T: 6.5 mi run (1 mi @ 6:40) + 2600 yd swim
W: 3 mi bike + 9.6 mi run + 1800 yd swim + 3 mi bike
T: 9 mi bike + 6.5 mi run + 800 yd swim + 3 mi bike
F: 3 mi bike + 6.3 mi run (2.1 mi @ half marathon pace) + 1200 yd swim + 3 mi bike
S: 1.6 mi run + 8 mi run (split so I could get to the farmers market when it opened)
S: 7 mi bike

totals 7800 yd swim, 31 mi bike, 48.4 mi run

Goals for this week:
stay out of own way! use coping skills! (journaling is really helping right now)
day off from running
swim 12600 yds
bike 4x, with bike miles > run miles
get about four million job applications in :P

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started TC.

Last week's goal was:"This week: 5 rides/7 hours; physio on Friday - I'm supposed to run before then but really don't want to in case the night pain flares up again."

I got the cycling done! My highest TSS week yet and now thankfully I'm on to a recovery week after 5 solid weeks of bike training.

The knee issue has been up & down. I was having some glute issues on the same side as the injured knee so my physio had a dig around and found my piriformis. Whatever he did hurt like hell at the time (muscle-spasming, leg twitching, squealing like a pig response from me) but since then I haven't had any night time pain. I have however had plenty of daytime issues that I haven't had in months. Sigh.

This week: 4 rides/5.5 hours; keep up the physio exercises and continue torturing myself with the lacrosse ball.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing okay - had a bit of a rough go of it since being cleared to run and swim. I did too much too soon and can't run at the moment - first time I've been injured in three years (feels like pes anserine bursitis plus metatarsalgia - probably got one by trying to compensate for the other).

I had a totally unrelated health problem last week and wasn't allowed to swim until yesterday (probably a blessing in disguise for me since I tend to do too much too soon. See above). I did 1600 yards:

4 x 100 freestyle - slow
4 x 100 in IM order alternating kick/swim
2 x 200 freestyle
2 x 100 kick with fins
200 cool-down

10 mile run yesterday (disaster)
5 mile runs on the treadmill on M/W/F (9:30 pace)
60-minute spin class on Saturday

That was last week. This week I'm going to try Masters on Wednesday for an abbreviated work-out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for taking the lead tigerchik and good work creating a successful week!

Last week I did 4 swims, 2 bikes, 2 runs, no yoga (sad), 2 strength sessions, and daily p/rehab + correctives (but if I'm being truly honest my p/rehab was a little half assed over the weekend).

I eased back into training after my adventure race and had a good week. I am feeling like I'm slowly getting back into the swing of things with my run -- they are slow and my heart rate is low (ex. 6 miles at 155) and I think I'm just going to keep doing that for a while. Eventually I'm going to get refit on my bike and sign up for a race but I'm not there yet.

This week is pretty normal: 3 strength sessions, 3 swims, a run or 2, hopefully some yoga, and 2 bike rides including a 200K randonneuring ride -- it'll be my first ride like this and it sounds like it'll be a lot of fun and I have literally all day to get up and over the 8K feet of climbing.

I was cheering for SLOGoing at the Playa Tri -- good work unidentified stranger from the internet! :D

I hope everyone has a great week.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last week's goals:
- run x 6: win with 7
- bike x 1: win
- swim x 2: win
- core/strength x 4: win

Got in a last 90min trail run on Saturday before the 6-hour this coming weekend. Was trying to be careful because I've been doing a lot of damage lately to my left ankle, rolling it on rocks and roots (though never badly enough to stop me from running), but it was tough with all of the trails at Dryden Tract being heavily covered in fallen leaves.

I did ok - did give my ankle a wrench a couple of times, but not too badly & it's been feeling ok. It's turned cold and been super windy out, so it was nice to escape to the shelter of the woods.

I did pop out to the edge of the forest at one point though - the fall colours and wind-whipped clouds were pretty neat.

Actually rode my CX bike on Sunday afternoon with Tank - just a fun half-hour rip through the high rent district up the street from us. Didn't feel terribly strong but had fun. Ran after sunset on a bit of rail trail as I'm trying to get more comfortable with running trails in the dark. The headlamp I used was woefully inadequate, but I scored a new one last night for $15 at a local outfitter's members-only sale that should be better for the future. Going to need more than a faint patch of light 5' in front of me if I'm going to try singletrack night runs!

This week's goals:
run x 4
swim x 1
core/strength x 2
mobility/stretch x 2

Hopes for the 6-hour on Saturday are just to stay upright and un-injured - also keeping my fingers crossed that the costume I picked up to wear won't cause chafing issues, and that the weather forecast improves a bit. I'm totally down with 13c/55f, but can we drop the wind and rain?

Quote | Reply
Saw a dr yesterday again about my mouth (taste) issue. She examined me, and gave me a mouth rinse medication that is used for yeast infection. She said she saw evidence of that being possibly the issue. So I get to swish this stuff 4x per day. Plus a referral to an ENT doc, which I have an appointment for on November 28th (earliest I could get, sheesh.).
CX over the weekend was fun, 3rd both days. Got the hole shot both days too. Husband crashed badly on day 2 (Sunday), so yesterday was running him around to the dr and x-rays and picking up meds. Pretty sure he'll be OK and don't think he broke anything. We should hear on the x-rays today.
I think I somehow re-injured my hamstring. Boo. Just the left. Just woke up to run on a Monday after a GREAT sunday 10 miler and it hurts. Took a few days off, tried to run Friday morning, hurts and has been sore since. This sucks. I'll bike and swim and strength train and do my PT exercises like my life depends on it.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? October 24 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like candida? Hope it helps. A

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
- ride 3x including our Baker's Dozen ride DONE and this was an awesomely hard event but a lot of fun, I took 2 QOMs on the day (the other lady from our club took 2 as well) and I scored some bike socks and a really expensive GORE running hoodie (for a free event that's a nice treat - plus donuts too!)
- skate 4x including first meet of the year - eek! DONE and the meet went well enough although I was stuck racing with a few guys who are faster starters than me but I am an overall faster skater - so a lot of passing required. Meant slower times but I won all 4 races and didn't fall (yay!). K had a fantastic meet too, 3 PBs and 2 wins, and bonus we BOTH qualified for the provincial champs already :-)
- run 2x DONE and one was a track session which absolutely killed me - it's been honestly years since I did once, so I'm going to try and get in one a week.
- weights/core 2x - FAIL only once but I was tired...
- think about a goal - either cycling or running - I have a skating goal (sub 1:00 for 500m) - but do I need a cycling and/or running one? - nothing coming to me yet... waiting... waiting... :-)

This week:
- Skate 2x
- Level II referee clinic all weekend (boo)
- Run 2x (track; aerobic)
- Ride once (due to weekend being shot).
- Make Burrito costume for K.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? October 24 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A burrito costume? That could be interesting....

How's the cycling/running goal process going?

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe? If I do have an oral yeast infection it's mild, compared to the images I found on Google (by the way, GROSS photos, DON'T google that. DON'T).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Googling images of anything medical is never a good idea...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Burrito costume, neat idea! I'm going as Cindy Loo Who (the animated version).
Congrats to you and K on the skating and cycling.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? October 24 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dunno - not sure if I want one yet? Kind of a sucky answer I know...

Cycling: There is a really nice low-key fondo (~115km) next June that I'm eyeing (P and a buddy did it last year and I think it would be a good one for me). But a: that seems far away and b: 115k isn't that difficult (unless I actually want to "race" it). There is also a hill climb challenge next July which would be a good one (12k at 10% basically). I'd really like to execute a 3-5 day "stage" circle ride somewhere in BC or Wash or OR next summer.

Running: I've done a lot of the bucket-list races I've wanted to do, and most of the local ones make me go "meh". I know I will just gravitate to the LSD trail stuff - which I love, but the time to train well for ultras etc is challenging and honestly, I felt quite "unhealthy" when I was training for Comrades (nature of the beast). So I can't think of anything right now.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could do Golden Triangle (technically it's in AB): Castle Mountain Jn -> Golden -> Radium -> Castle Mountain Jn. We did it last year and it was quite fun although depending on when you do it there can be a lot of motor traffic. I'm sure you could cobble together something around Penticton as well. The Coeur d' Fondo in Coeur d'Alene (late September) is a good ride as well and there's medals if you choose to race it (and an octoberfest at the finish either way).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the mouth rinse working?

My sister found the grossest thing last week and I didn't even know this was a thing. Apparently you can get tonsil "stones" trapped in the recesses of your mouth near your tonsils and this can make things taste funky and give your breath a rotten smell. She found a whole bunch and scooped them out with her finger *shudder*
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? October 24 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
woah! Who knew?

------------------------
Quote Reply