Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? October 17 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? October 17 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My goals had been to get rested for a half marathon - I didn't do a good job resting, but I am thrilled with my time; bike 3x (done!), and swim 12600 yds (4 swims = 9000 yds).

The half went well. I ran a 1:35:22 and was 3rd FOV. My PR is 1:35:20, and I'm very very happy to have been so close to that.
Other excitement: my university hosted Stanford this past weekend, and on Friday I saw Katie Ledecky and Simone Manuel (and the other very fast Stanford women) swim. It was awesome. I tried to get autographs but the pool staff wouldn't let any spectators near the athletes. I both completely understand, and really wanted some autographs :P

Work is going well. I submitted another job application. I still have a bunch to write.

Food stuff is NOT going well. I have been making time every day to write in my journal, which I think is helping. I HAVE the skills I need here, I just need to deploy them.

Goals for this week - (1) get out of own way (2) bike 4x and make bike miles more than run miles (3) swim 12600 yds (4) take at least one day off from running.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the race tigerchik.

I had a good week and an epic weekend! Swam twice, ran three times, lifted three times, did yoga once, biked once --- then drove to Arizona for a beta version of a 20+ multistage adventure race.

<quote>I have down week this week and won't be training this weekend -- I'll be traveling to best [ed. BETA] test challenges/stages for an adventure race with some friends in the desert. Should be very fun! </quote>

The beta Adventure Race I did was one of the most fun challenges I've been involved in -- rock climbing, navigating, hiking, trail runner plus some crazy physical and mental challenges (solve a rubik's cube underwater, max out on pullups).

My runs are steadily getting back to where I want them to be and it makes me so happy :D

Taking it pretty easy for the beginning of the week and then getting back into regular multisport training. 3 swims, 3 runs, 2 rides, daily p/rehab and correctives and 2 strength days.

I hope everyone has a good week!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? October 17 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
(solve a rubik's cube underwater)

did you get goggles?

the beta testing sounds fun!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tc - great job on the race and that would have been awesome to see those swimmers! Good for you to stay focused on your eating, and using your tools to help you.

So - the beta race sounds like a lot of fun, luckee. I wish we had more of those around here, I'd love to do another (last one I did was almost 10 yrs ago now).

Last week was a really horrible week overall. I had no goals or objectives for the week, I just wanted to be able to process what had happened last Sunday. So I had no expectations or pressure on me. Rode twice, ran twice, skated twice, refereed a meet, cheered on P at his 2nd CX race. I so want to try one but I only have my road bike. Maybe if I put wider rims and cantilevered brakes? Or skinnier ones on my mtb? I'm looking at you, determination, for some advice here (not getting another bike - yet). :-) Then made stock, soup, cookies with K and relaxed with the fam at home. So I actually had a REALLY good weekend and I'm feeling a lot more positive and energetic.

This week:
- ride 3x including our Baker's Dozen ride (https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-royal-city-bakers-dozen-the-ultimate-sufferfest-tickets-2771863418) this should be interesting as I am not a strong climber (I really do need to drop 10lbs).
- skate 4x including first meet of the year - eek!
- run 2x
- weights/core 2x
- think about a goal - either cycling or running - I have a skating goal (sub 1:00 for 500m) - but do I need a cycling and/or running one?

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? October 17 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Then made stock, soup, cookies with K and relaxed with the fam at home. So I actually had a REALLY good weekend and I'm feeling a lot more positive and energetic.
so happy to hear that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get another bike!
No, just use your MTB. It will be totally fine. The MTB will be heavy when you need to carry it but it will give you enough of an idea if you'd like to keep racing and/or get a bike. I wouldn't even bother with skinnier tires if you don't have them. Just go for it. Even if you don't have a clue about mounting / dismounting, DO A RACE. You can decide if you like the style of racing. But, I'll have to warn you, it's rather fun and addictive. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a mtg. with a potential employer. Would cut my commute to 33 - 35 mins. It's a small business and I'd be part time to start. Unlikely to start before January. We'll have to see if they decide to extend an offer or not. I don't think I'll turn them down. It's a bit of a risk, and I'm not much of a risk taker with my job life, but maybe it's time. There also might be the strong possibility to supplement with a part time lecturer gig too.

My week was just OK. I got back in the swing of things a little, but I'm still struggling with motivation. I have been having some allergy issues too, despite having started allergy shots a year ago. I had to turn around one morning and come back to the house to use my inhaler, because I forgot to take it beforehand (I NEVER have to do this, that's why I forgot, it's WAY out of my norm). Saturday was the perfect day. Rode with the husband, ran, then out to dinner and drinks. Weather was perfect. It just doesn't get any better.
Ran decent - I'm trying to get my weekly mileage back up there and be consistent, and get the long run back up there too. I am thinking about a spring marathon.
CX season is in full swing and I'm just going to keep racing and having fun. I'm missing the season I had last year but it is what it is. My training over the summer was just crap so what can I expect. The work life overtook a lot of things (which I'm attempting to change).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh, and the video "solutions for cyclocrss" is quite excellent for learning skills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with determination - just use your MTB.

It's fun - I bet you'll like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goggles were on the gear list and we needed them for a few things. Competitors could come up for air but the cube had to stay on the ground underwater. You earned points for time and difficulty (e.g. solving a standard cube while hanging upside down, solving the dodecahedron version). The whole event was super fun and there are still spots open for the January 2017 two person event...

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? October 17 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks I did a CX clinic last fall on my MTB and got the mounts/dismounts ok and my mtb isn't too heavy. (22lbs - not bad). I may just try it then, even if I'm last :-) AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome work on the race TC.

Met my goal of 5 trainer rides for a total of 7 hours, including one monster ride of 3 hours on Sunday. Could have been more diligent about my physio but the night pain has subsided the last few nights so YAY. I survived the first-third graders with the help of wine every evening and cookies every day. Dan also cooked me dinner 4 nights in a row - it was awesome and got me out of the turkey rut I'd fallen into post-Thanksgiving.

This week: 5 rides/7 hours; physio on Friday - I'm supposed to run before then but really don't want to in case the night pain flares up again. Part of me just wants to give up on trying to run again and the other part of me is yelling at the first part for being a quitter. Want to cut down on the sugary snacks and alcohol this week too so naturally I had lemon loaf today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you're starting to feel better AP!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy to hear so many of the womens are doing better than last week!

Last week's goals:

- run x 4: win with 5
- bike x 1: win
- swim x 1: win
- core/strength x 3: win

The fall colours are developing nicely around my area, and I got to do quite a bit of exploring over the weekend. 2.5hrs at Huron Natural Area on Saturday:

Then another 12.5k on the Grand River Trail on Sunday:

Did my first double run day in ages yesterday, and now it's just easy cruising and trying to keep myself healthy for the two 6-hour races coming up in the next few weeks.

This week's goals:
- run x 6
- bike x 1
- swim x 2
- core/strength x 4

Quote | Reply
Oh, and I did make another dr's appointment for Monday the 24th (I had taken the day off for another reason) to again try to find out why I have an altered sense of taste and tender neck lymph nodes. It's not going away. Anything sweet tastes just awful. Even fruit or slightly sweet veggies. This Thursday will be 3 weeks. All other foods taste normal. It's just the sweet things. I suppose it's one way to cure your sweet tooth.
(as a reminder, I had already gone to urgent care on 10/8, they had no idea, and I switched antihistamines to a stronger one to see if it was my allergies - been on the new allergy med since 10/8 and no change - same antihistamine I was on last fall with good results)
Last edited by: determination: Oct 18, 16 7:55
Quote Reply