Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Any womens going to spend 15K on a bike?
Quote | Reply
I'm still trying to figure out how to make peace in my household after a discussion about spending more than $500 on a set of used wheels.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Last edited by: Tri3: Oct 5, 16 15:28
Quote Reply
Re: Any womens going to spend 15K on a bike? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two days before the current bruhaha over the new world's most expensive tri bike, I bought a Cervelo P3. It was the correct size with 650 wheels. Since there are ZERO wheels equipped with disc brakes in my size and likely won't be any time soon, if ever, I figured that getting the best of the last bikes that will truly fit is the best I could do.

We'll see in 3 years if options change. If beam bikes are back in style, maybe Dan Empfield's initial tri bike design with 650 wheels will become fashionable again. Now THAT would be awesome news :-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Any womens going to spend 15K on a bike? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SSP, congrats on the P3 purchase. That's funny, because if I remember correctly you previously were on a Kuota K-Factor--same as me. And I'm just about to finish building up a P3 from a frameset. I was going to wait a few more years, then I heard Cervelo is no longer producing the size 45. (I think the same is true of Trek and the xs Speed Concept, although I haven't gotten confirmation of this.)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are correct!

The rear brake mechanism became unglued and my LBS refused to epoxy the calipers back to the frame for liability reasons.

I took it as a sign to change while there were bikes that fit left. My frameset is being sent now and I look forward to my new ride!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oooo, congrats... sweet ride. And a fellow 650c rider! :) I'm on an an Felt DA1, from back when they made it in a 650c size. Short people unite!! lol
Quote Reply
Re: Any womens going to spend 15K on a bike? [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are truly an endangered species!

The only saving grace is that my money is still green ;-) We have to avoid people trying to sell us a "size 9 shoe" when what we need is a size 6!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Off topic, but how petite are you ladies? I'm 5'5" and ride a 48 cm with 650s, and every time I go to the bike shop the owner tells me I need a larger bike. I'm sure he's trying to make a sale, but I wonder if there's any truth to his pitch!

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Any womens going to spend 15K on a bike? [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 5'1", formerly 5'2" and shrinking!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm about 5'3" (with really thick socks on... ok, maybe slippers).

Edited to say, fit would totally depend on the brand/make of bike. I'm long in the torso, not so much in the leg. So a short but "reachy" bike like the Felt is great for me. My other bike is a Lapierre road bike, with 700c wheels. I've got such a wicked toe overlap on that one that if I turn my wheel more than 1.5" with my foot in the wrong position, I'm in trouble. Guess it encourages good bike handling skills?!
Last edited by: surroundhound: Oct 6, 16 8:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, thanks -- maybe there is some truth to his pitch! hahaha

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Height is only minimally related to fit. How does your current bike feel to ride? That matters more than what the bike shop has to say. Besides, smaller bikes are more aero. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am just 5'0, maybe 5'1 if I try really hard. I have a 650/47 tri bike and a 650/44 road bike, both excellent fits, and just the other day had a conversation with my "team manager" about not being able to get on any of the team-sponsor bikes, and I got this response ... "Maybe there will be a new bike one day that fits, but I wouldn't know anything about that." I have paid careful attention to what's out there at Kona this week. So, I am optimistic that if my current bike cracks or somehow wears out, there may be something on the horizon (at team discount so less than 15k). But I think Sally was smart and prescient for buying that last 45cm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mrs japarker24 rides an XS Quintana Roo with 650 wheels!!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Any womens going to spend 15K on a bike? [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you racing? If so, have a great race!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
I'm about 5'3" (with really thick socks on... ok, maybe slippers).

Edited to say, fit would totally depend on the brand/make of bike. I'm long in the torso, not so much in the leg. So a short but "reachy" bike like the Felt is great for me. My other bike is a Lapierre road bike, with 700c wheels. I've got such a wicked toe overlap on that one that if I turn my wheel more than 1.5" with my foot in the wrong position, I'm in trouble. Guess it encourages good bike handling skills?!

This is the problem I have with my Trek road bike (which I hate for this reason) that I use as my commuter ride. Toe overlap is really a "thing"!

The tall people trying to tell me not to worry about it aren't going to be kissing the pavement :-( I have made many mistakes buying the wrong-sized bike; I determined that if nothing else, my new purchase would buy TIME while the bike industry determines if Gail and my money is worth going after. My intuition is that the answer is no and that we will be left with custom frame builds only.

Also, my hope is that eventually, that wheel builders like Hed will keep building 650 wheels and eventually disc-brake wheels as well. We'll see...........

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
... my hope is that eventually, that wheel builders like Hed will keep building 650 wheels and eventually disc-brake wheels as well. We'll see...........

Well, I absolutely LOVE my new-this-year 650 ENVE wheels, and I remain hopeful that we may be seeing the disc versions on bikes other than Andy's in the not-too-distant future. But it will definitely depend on whether the frame makers eliminate the small frames and/or the double diamonds. It's going to be an interesting few years for short girls.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gee wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
... my hope is that eventually, that wheel builders like Hed will keep building 650 wheels and eventually disc-brake wheels as well. We'll see...........

Well, I absolutely LOVE my new-this-year 650 ENVE wheels, and I remain hopeful that we may be seeing the disc versions on bikes other than Andy's in the not-too-distant future. But it will definitely depend on whether the frame makers eliminate the small frames and/or the double diamonds. It's going to be an interesting few years for short girls.

This is AWESOME news! I spoke with the principals (their HQ is literally across the street in Las Vegas from where I work) 4 years ago. They were present at our inaugural Indoor Tri and they had no interest in 650 wheels (of course, I asked). That the home-town business now has that capacity gives me hope that *****maybe***** there might even be a choice of frames and wheels in the future and still have a bike that fits. Otherwise, what is the point of bike fit?

One LBS (harkening to the mansplaining thread) tried to tell me that there was a "magic way" to make me fit in an aggressive position on a tri bike with 700 wheels. I told them that there was only math, not magic, and they lost the sale.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Last edited by: SallyShortyPnts: Oct 6, 16 19:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow, I looked up the Enve 650 wheels--$3K per set. Ouch!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
wow, I looked up the Enve 650 wheels--$3K per set. Ouch!

Thankfully I did not have to pay that much, and I got a PT laced in too. I would have to say, that absurdly expensive swim clinic last summer turned out to be one of my better investments, with great returns. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the LBS literally say "magic"? I know I shouldn't find that hard to believe, yet....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my 650c Zipp 404s. I think they were some of the first ones in that size (2012). Those things are built to last -- I ride the heck out of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
I love my 650c Zipp 404s. I think they were some of the first ones in that size (2012). Those things are built to last -- I ride the heck out of them.

I have an older set, too -- 303/404 from back when they sold that set together as "343" I think it was called. I bought it used, but I think it's around 10 years now. Was my daily wheel for years till I bought the ENVEs, and now I still use it on the trainer (has PT). Still in great shape; in fact I actually lent the set to a friend to use at IM last weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine are 2008, bought used from ST in 2010. Still going strong. I like them so much I bought one of the last hubs available so I could replace it when it goes.

Last edited by: Tri3: Oct 7, 16 9:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, maybe it was just the Firecrest model that was new in 650c in 2012? Or maybe I'm just senile! lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto on the fit v. height comment. I'm 5'6". For me it's stack v reach every time - I am all stack and little reach :-). I have two Olmo 49cm frames that I ride in road config (now) that are small enough to address my lack of reach - both are very comfy. I also had a Soloist 51cm that I loved in aero set-up, but which did NOT work in road configuration. That bike looked so sad with a 50mm stem that I just had to let it go. I recently bought a LOOK 51cm which fits me great as it's reach is similar to the 49cm frames but with a larger stack - so it works for me. It's probably a better fit than my 49cm Olmos.

So think geometry not frame size, especially if you are all legs or all torso.

Re: OP - I don't think I could spend that kind of $ on a bike unless I won the lotto. I'd rather have three $5K bikes instead. N+1!!! :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply

Prev Next