Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Oct. 3 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 3 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Goals for this week:
- make a couple hours' worth of progress on my dissertation today that was Monday. I think I did that. I had a really productive day
- job applications #1 and 2 are due the 29th done!
- 5 swims, 3 bikes 6 swims, 2 bikes. it was rainy yesterday :P

I had an okay week. Work was pretty productive, but I had a lot of anxiety over the weekend. One fun thing about the weekend was a poultry show (my parents have chickens and I really like chickens).

I biked twice (one errand, one commute), swam 6x, and ran 7x.

goals for this week:
better run structure (good start to this with a short run this AM!)
swim more than 12,600 yards
bike 5x (good start to this, biked to campus)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about the anxiety TC, hope you are feeling better today. The chicken show sounds cool but I'm such a scaredy cat when it comes to birds that I'd probably freak out from all the scratching and pecking I imagine happens!

I had a pretty good week. Did all 5 of my trainer road rides - 6.5 hours including one 2.5 hour long ride. Pretty sure I only made it through that ride because Dan was riding alongside me and we had Pulp Fiction on to keep us entertained. Also ran/walked three times - following the runs overnight I had discomfort/pain/too exhausted to tell. And I kept up with foam rolling and physio exercises.

This week: 5 rides, 3 runs (1 will be at physio) and going to the gym to do the plyo exercises the physio gave me (too hard to set up safely at home). I also made a last minute decision to host Thanksgiving at our place next Sunday so we're having a random mishmash of people over. When I'm freaking out about the turkey's internal temperature I will try to remember that I thought it would be fun . I'm planning to watch some of the Kona coverage on Saturday so will try and get most of the prep done then!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi! Just back from work travel... I managed to get 3 runs in out of 5 days of travel, which was better than I thought I would do. Had a very light week, which is probably okay... my hip has been twitchy since my last race, so a little rest is probably a good thing.

Monday: Did nothing - trying to get ready for travel
Tuesday: 1 hour TrainerRoad (meh. felt blah)
Wednesday: Car + Airplane + 3 hour layover + Airplane + Car. Exhausting.
Thursday: Butts in ballroom all day. Torture
Friday: 30 minute treadmill in AM
Saturday: 10k run
Sunday: 4.44 mile run (got lost, was actually trying for 8 and then, BAM! there was my hotel at 4.44mi)

Getting back on track this week. Have an Oly in 2 weeks. Then a GranFando the week after.

Not sure if any of you caught my "Got fitted... not diggin it" thread in the main forum from a couple of weeks ago. Good times. I picked up a demo saddle Cobb Randee, but I'm not diggin it! Gol, I'm uncomfortable. On my road bike I can ride 100mi+ just fine, but oy. I need a better solution. I just did a 40k in ~1:20 (headwind hell today) and was uncomfortable by 1/2 way. Any happy ladies with a happy saddle? I'm headed to SoCal in the next couple of weeks for a REAL fitting... finally. I was hoping to have a happy saddle by then.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
- swim x 1: win
- bike x 1: FAIL. It rained all weekend & I'm fending off a cold.
- run x 5: win with 6
- core/strength x 4: win

Got to go explore a new trail system on Saturday - a friend of mine posted a mountain biking gopro video in the Agreement Forest about 20mins from home, so despite the rain we took off Saturday afternoon to check it out. I'm in love! Photo posting seems to be borked again but it's a tangle of rooty, rocky forest with a waterfall hidden in the middle. I got a bit turned around on my way out because it's really poorly marked, and that got a little stressful since the sun had set and fog was rolling in - I had stupidly failed to bring a headlamp, and my phone's battery was dying from trying to compare two online maps for wayfinding, so I ended up running in near-darkness over wet, rocky trail. Could have gone really badly, but fortunately I stayed upright and my ankles held in there. Actually ended up being really good for developing some confidence running on technical trail, which is something I've been fairly timid about since I know I'm clumsy as shit.

This week's goals:
- swim x 2
- run x 4
- core/strength x 4

I also signed up last week for another 6-hour in mid-November - just 2 weeks after the annual Horror Trail 6-hour I'll be running on Oct 29th. Probably a really bad idea, but I'm not a good decision maker. I also just heard that the trail race where I set my 50k PR - and where I had planned to run a 50 miler in the spring - has just added a 100k distance for 2017. I'm getting bad ideas.

Quote | Reply
Helllllooooo! I am alive! :-)

Well, the last week before the race, did a bunch of physio, some easy running with compression sleeve on the calf, got on the ice twice and inlined once. I was feeling good but very undertrained. I honestly had no idea how this was going to go. But - it was happening. Time to Wing It.

We made it to Berlin, settled in, I got in another run, and then we went to the expo. Which was madness. Such a huge event. People almost fighting over gear at the merch tent. Insane. and started the inline skate - which was an awesome experience holy cow it's crazy fast - but after 20k, my feet were developing a nice blister on one heel. I really wanted to be able to run the next day, and I knew I wasn't going to finish the inline race, so I DNFed. It's only my 3rd DNF ever. And I hate DNFs. But I had to focus on the marathon - I'd put more effort into being ready to run it so I think I made the right decision.

The part that really sucked? You get picked up by a bus with medical aid, which is great. they drive along the back of the race picking up us lost souls. Also great. Then they stop basically in front of the finish line and make you WALK THE LAST 300m of the race. Thru the finish chute. It's quite cruel - a real walk of shame. A volunteer gives me a medal - I say "what's this for? I didn't finish" he says "you tried that's what matters" I almost cried. I think even though I didn't finish, that was the nicest thing a volunteer has said to me at a race. It's the only reason I didn't chuck the medal.

Bought some sport tape, went and showered, ate a big pasta meal then went to bed. Next day: taped up my feet as best I could and hopped on the S-bahn to the start. 9am start, so nice to be able to have a bit more sleep and breakfast first. Then Marathon time! Sunny, humid, warm - yuck, But oh well. Started out super easy, knowing that if I could get to 35k, I'd be happy enough to walk the rest. Well, got thru half way in 2:15 (usual time would be 2:00 or just under) so I was pretty damn pleased with that. Calf was fine. I was enjoying the slower pace, I got to look around, enjoy the TONS of bands they had all along the course, and the HOT SWEET TEA (yes you read that right - it was fantastic - I was surprised too) at the aid stations.

So I was really enjoying the race a lot, not having to worry about my time or my pace. I got to 35k and my quads were pretty tight - this was the lack of real long run training in the ~5w leading up to the race showing. So I walked. I ran into P at 36k, and he walked with me for a k or so, which was nice. I probably walked about 3 more k, just shy of 40k mark I decided to just go 1min run 1min walk the rest of the way. I finished upright & smiling in 4:49, my slowest marathon yet. But it was a lot of fun and I have no regrets. When I can with virtually nil training pull off a 4:49 marathon, I think I am totally OK with that. :-)

We hung around Berlin for a few more days, then London for 4 days, then home. I have a whack of photos that I can seem to upload right now. But I'll see if I can get some up.

Now it's back to speedskating, and I think I will only run when I want to. Going to get back to the pool, riding, and weights again (back to the stronglifts 5x5 program which I liked a lot).

This week:
- run 1x (done)
- ride 3x
- skate 4x (1 done)
- swim 1x
- weights 3x

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 3 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am happy to hear from you! Congrats :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:

When did the posting format change (again?) Did image uploads get disabled? AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh and thank you :-)

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
When did the posting format change (again?) Did image uploads get disabled? AP

don't know x2

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik, my daughter would be so envious of your weekend! She loves birds, especially chickens. :)
I haven't mentioned this anywhere else yet, but figured I'd share with you ladies... I ended the season as 1st overall female in our local/regional tri series. I'm pretty pumped. :)
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 3 Edition [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! How awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wahoo! Way to go Andy - glad you managed to have fun in Berlin after all!

Congrats surroundhound - that's awesome!

Quote | Reply
Thanks, Scheherazade! :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi there! Just back to SoCal after a week in upstate New York. It was so great to be home with my family and is so, so pretty up there right now.

<quote>I'm going home this week. I am really excited to see my family and I love getting to go home during the fall. Even if I'm not able to run, I'm hoping to get out on some of my favorite trails for some walks or hikes. I should be able to rent a bike while I'm there and get in some rides, do yoga, and my daily correctives and p/rehab and strength work but training won't be my priority. It's unlikely I'll be able to swim but maybe I'll get lucky :D </quote>

I didn't swim or bike while I was home (weather and logistics) but I lifted three times, did my daily p/rehab and correctives, took a yoga class, and most importantly I RAN! The trails where I'm from are spectacularly beautiful and I got in four trail runs (slow and easy -- 2 miles, 2.5 miles, 3 miles, 4 miles). My plan is to slowly rebuild with a bunch of low HR, base miles until my legs start to feel like my legs again. I'm paying extra close attention to prep and recovery too.

On my first run back, I serendipitously got to share the trails and have a nice chat with a hometown hero/Masters 5K road champ who was tapering for the Syracuse Festival of Races. She's 53 and still runs in the 17s (Whew!) Chatting with her gave me all the inspiration and motivation vibes I needed. That helped remind me that, if done right, I have a lifetime to run plus now I can swim for a lifetime too :D

For the rest of this week, I'll be back to my regular schedule -- 3 days of lifting, 2 days of yoga, 2 or maybe 3 swims, 2 bikes, some easy runs (maybe every other day?) and my daily p/rehab and correctives.

Thanks for getting us started tigerchik! I hope everyone has a great week.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running is coming along. I really need to get the treadmill set up. It's hard to get motivated to head out late in the evening, especially when it's cold/dark.

Hoping to get the bike set up on the trainer this week. The set up is always the time consuming part, then it's easy to just jump on and go. I miss Zwift.

I'm subbing on an indoor soccer team this winter. I haven't played in years. I'm hoping to make it to at least one practice, but the timing is bad and the baby is too little for babysitters (why does my family have to live far away :( ).

The baby is exhausting, but it doesn't seem like there will be improvement in that department, so it's time to suck it up and get moving.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CONGRATULATIONS!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 3 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could the baby hang out in a stroller/car seat on the sidelines while you are at practice?

Good on you for getting out there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I ended the season as 1st overall female in our local/regional tri series. I'm pretty pumped. :)

Congrats! That's awesome!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 3 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
Could the baby hang out in a stroller/car seat on the sidelines while you are at practice?

Good on you for getting out there!

No, I think it's an insurance/liability thing. My husband said he'd meet me to get the kids, so I guess is better go dig out my cleats and shin pads.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 3 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, SoCal and tigerchik!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SO I caught the weirdest cold. It started out last Wednesday afternoon when an apple tasted funny. Then my banana REALLY tasted funny. The weird taste continued to worsen on Thursday, with the culprits being anything sweet. Then on Friday I woke up with a messed up throat. Like seriously looking awful. Red raw patches. Lymph nodes tender (when touched from the exterior, my neck). But no sore throat pain. Tongue swollen. So that I have tooth indentations. I can tell the throat is swollen but it doesn't hurt. Before all this I was congested for about two weeks or so, figuring allergies.
Basically, anything sweet - I keep testing my theory with a single solitary m&m - tastes like I just took in a mouth full of baking soda. I tested with an oreo. It was so bad tasting like baking soda I had to spit it out in the trash.
I'm also run down, so I haven't been working out. I thought my energy was coming up, but I tried running this morning and while 2 miles went fine, I tanked and cut the run short.
This week - get better and see if I can get to a dr.
(I called them yesterday but I didn't know when I'd get home since I had to work late - ended up getting home at 8pm)
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 3 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds awful. I hope you can get in to see the Dr soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ugh, that sounds awful! Tongue swelling is weird... get to an MD as soon as you can!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK that is bizarre (and cruel). If your tongue is still swollen, you need to see a doc... fingers crossed you figure it out soon!

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply