Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? September 26 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? September 26 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am good; how are you?!

Last week was pretty good. Managed to cycle 5 days, 3 indoors and 2 outdoors for my biggest week (6.5 hours) in a while. I have enough points overall to win the Women's A category in our cycling club so that was a nice boost too. AND, the biggest news of all, the physio is allowing me to run! Finally, nearly 7 months after my injury, I ran without any knee pain/discomfort. It was a total of 3 laps on the indoor track so it was only about 750m but I'll take that. He says if the next couple of weeks go well I won't need to see him anymore. Fingers crossed.

This week: I'm on TrainerRoad's sweet spot base so do all those workouts (5) (club riding is over and the weather is definitely turning here). Do my physio and build up my running - he wants me to do 6 laps next time which is about a mile so I'll be building up to that.

How are the rest of The Womens?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Ladies of Slowtwitch and thanks for getting us started, tigerchik -- hope you're all doing well.

The highlight of my week was being part of 5 person relay team for a 10 mile ocean swim yesterday. I swam two miles (28:21, 26:56) and had SO much fun. I think I accidentally fell in love with open water swimming while nursing this running injury.

<quote>This week I’m planning 4 swims, including a local ocean relay, 3 bikes, 2 yoga classes and my daily correctives and p/rehab. I *think* I’m going to get cleared to run this week but I’m not certain. Cross your fingers for me. Today marks 3 months and I miss it so much. I asked a question in the main forum about coming back ([/url]) but if you all have insights about when/how far I should think about racing again, let me know!</quote>

Speaking of running, I swapped out my third bike for a supervised test run. That test went not great and I didn't get the news from the Dr. I'd hoped for (not running but some strength!) I feel mostly okay about everything after sitting on it for a few days. It was radio silence on my run rebuilding question in the main forum but since I'm not cleared to run I guess that's okay. <shrug>

I'm going home this week. I am really excited to see my family and I love getting to go home during the fall. Even if I'm not able to run, I'm hoping to get out on some of my favorite trails for some walks or hikes. I should be able to rent a bike while I'm there and get in some rides, do yoga, and my daily correctives and p/rehab and strength work but training won't be my priority. It's unlikely I'll be able to swim but maybe I'll get lucky :D

I hope everyone has a great week!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing alright. Didn't get to ride because of my husband's work schedule - BUT I did go for a "run". It was a walk/jog effort and it felt hard and awkward. I'm not getting much sleep these days (thanks baby!) so I'll take it as a starting point.

This week I'm aiming for at least 2 "runs" and some sort of body weight strength exercise.

I've been walking the dog at the local off leash area and it's pretty hilly. Doing it with the baby in the Ergo feels like a workout.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? September 26 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
AND, the biggest news of all, the physio is allowing me to run!

YAY!!!!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? September 26 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I did go for a "run". It was a walk/jog effort and it felt hard and awkward.
Glad you got out there!

Goals this week: swim 3x,done w/5 ride at least 3x (one of them checking out the bike paths so I can avoid CARS) done w/ 5 and yup found bike paths, finish drafts of job application stuff for Place #1 yup, advisor is reading them (I'm probably not going to say what universities I'm applying to), no bingeing :-) did pretty well with this

I got in 6 runs (44.9 mi), 5 swims (10,300 yds), 5 rides (35 mi - four of them were commuting to campus). I am pleased with the week. I was also pretty productive with schoolwork, so that's good.

Goals for this week:
- make a couple hours' worth of progress on my dissertation today
- job applications #1 and 2 are due the 29th
- 5 swims, 3 bikes

This is going to be a BUSY term for me. So far I've enjoyed seeing school friends, though - went to a movie with one this weekend - and tonight I am tutoring, so I get to see the HS kid that I think is awesome. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you applying for PhD or Post-doc positions? Hopefully your first choice wants you as much as you want them!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? September 26 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
both, and thank you!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hooray! Glad you're back to running Scheherazade!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? September 26 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks TC & SoCal. It feels SO weird to run now, completely unnatural and I feel so unfit, unlike the cycling where I am feeling super strong and confident.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TC - good luck w your job search. Let us know where you land.
I'm just starting my PhD, I have a long way to go. I'm thinking of it as a marathon, not a 5K :)

I'm concentrating on my running these days, Working toward Dallas marathon in Dec. I don't have time for IM training now that I'm back in school.
I got in just over 40 mpw for the last 4 out of 5 weeks. I'm hoping to increase my miles this week to mid 40's for a few more weeks and then finally back up to 50 mpw which I haven't seen in a few years. I also joined a group for speed work. So we'll see how it goes

Happy training everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not bad. I had a fun week. Ate too much, drank too much. Did a fun relay trail 'race' with friends. Our run group of buddies gifted one couple a nice jogging stroller (BOB) because they are expecting their first child.
Hoping this week that my 'food baby' will be delivered soon. lol. Reflecting on the past summer and how I can make some goals for next year, focusing on what I really want and how to make that happen. All in the midst of CX season.
Going to scour for a new (closer to home) job. Not holding my breath on that one.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? September 26 Edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm just starting my PhD, I have a long way to go. I'm thinking of it as a marathon, not a 5K :)

I think of it as an obstacle course...
what field?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah! Glad you're back to running Scheherazade and edbikebabe - hope SoCalTricurious will be able to join you soon! Congrats on the ocean relay, anyway; happy to hear you had fun.

Last week's goals:

- swim x 1: win
- bike x 1: win
- run x 5: win with 6
- core/strength x 4: win

After the tri on the 10th, I'm pretty sure I'm done with multisport. I'll still ride my bike for fun and swim for recovery and some general fitness, but I'm probably going to sell my wetsuits and TT bike come spring. 30 triathlon starts (2 DNFs - one due to a broken chain where I still did the run, and one due to a broken wrist where I did no such thing) in 8 seasons doesn't seem like too bad a whack at it, and ultra is just what floats my boat these days. Roaming through the woods is just so much more fun than slogging through another bike ride surrounded by cornfields and cows.

I went from 2 weeks of little to no running (due to taper for the tri and our paddle trip) to almost 50k for the week, and that didn't feel like much. Tweaked my left ankle a bit on Sunday, though, so need to keep an eye on it.

This week's goals:
- swim x 1
- bike x 1
- run x 5
- core/strength x 4

Also need to get some serious prep work done this weekend - long weekend of backpacking coming up next!

Quote | Reply
Nursing.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? September 26 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks mistressK, hoping to take a test run this week! Beautiful photos as always.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats on getting back to running!!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? September 26 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone was skating in Berlin. I'd love to hear how that went.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? September 26 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Not sure how long it'll last though as three runs in my night pain is back :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

I think of it as an obstacle course...

SO true. Finished mine 2 years ago and the obstacles are still coming somehow. Sigh. As I did throughout PhD, coped with 15k of swimming so far this week :)
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? September 26 Edition [mstp2017] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Finished mine 2 years ago and the obstacles are still coming somehow.

Ack; I didn't want to hear that. What field? Are you in academia or doing something else with your fancy letters?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cognitive psych. Academia, but in a different branch now (did a dual degree). Mostly my advisor did NOT want to let go after I graduated, and I let it go on for far too long...and was basically then working a second job for free. Stand up for yourself sooner than I did if you find yourself in that position. Now I'm just tying up a few manuscripts and then I'm done with that chapter of my career!
Quote Reply