Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information
Quote | Reply
I have just got a slot for the Worlds in 2017, and although it is a year away wanted to start making plans. I wondered if any Slowtwitchers from Tennessee or that have raced Chattanooga could give their 2 cents on a few questions?

Where would you suggest looking to stay, is there an area that is best for the race or best for visitors?

A quick Google seem to show that the weather will be a little different to Wales in September, 25 to 35c ? Is there high humidity also?

Would people recommended flying into the local airport (Chattanooga) or to a larger hub, Atlanta?

Any recommendations on must see attractions post race ( my better half is keen on a trip to Nashville)?

Are there any other race, travel, area related tips or gems that I should consider?

Cheers and hope to see a lot of Slowtwitchers in their natural US habitat.

It's only impossible if you stop to think about it.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [Mooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mooks wrote:
I have just got a slot for the Worlds in 2017, and although it is a year away wanted to start making plans. I wondered if any Slowtwitchers from Tennessee or that have raced Chattanooga could give their 2 cents on a few questions?

Where would you suggest looking to stay, is there an area that is best for the race or best for visitors?

A quick Google seem to show that the weather will be a little different to Wales in September, 25 to 35c ? Is there high humidity also?

Would people recommended flying into the local airport (Chattanooga) or to a larger hub, Atlanta?

Any recommendations on must see attractions post race ( my better half is keen on a trip to Nashville)?

Are there any other race, travel, area related tips or gems that I should consider?

Cheers and hope to see a lot of Slowtwitchers in their natural US habitat.

Tons of hotels downtown where you can easily walk to transition and to restaurants. I stayed at DoubleTee and had like 5 minute walk to transition. When I finished the race walked back to hotel, showered, and came back to wait for friends finishing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Staying close to transition is your best bet. Several hotels within a few blocks. Also look into AirBnB. Multiple homes on the site just across the river.

Humility - early Sept- YES. Often near 100%.

Fly into Nashville and save $100 or more on flight cost and visit the city before you drive to Chatt.

Good luck and congrats.

I'm planning on volunteering so at some point you may swim, bike , or run by me.!
Last edited by: New3901: Sep 16, 16 4:58
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just looked on Hilton's website and all the hotels downtown are sold out already. Holy smokes.....

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chattanooga is a great place. Like suggested above, there are lots of nice hotels along Chestnut Street within a five minute walk of the finish line. However, if you go that route, expect to pay a premium -- about $300/night or more. There are also lots of restaurants, bars and attractions within easy walking distance in this area. I booked a house across the river (about 2 miles from the finish line) through VRBO.com. It will be less convenient, but I got a 4 bedroom house for the price of one hotel room.

Flying in to Atlanta or Nashville will certainly be cheaper and neither is a bad drive (other than rush hour traffic in either place) from Chattanooga. Chattanooga is a small airport with a limited number of flights each day. There is plenty to see and do in Chattanooga and within a 30 minute drive from downtown. If you are making an extended trip out of it, Nashville is a fun city and the area to the east/northeast of Chattanooga (Tennessee/North Carolina border) is a beautiful part of the country.

As for the weather, typical would be 25-32 C. But in early September it could also be 15 C or 35 C.

Happy planning.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I just looked on Hilton's website and all the hotels downtown are sold out already. Holy smokes.....

I checked with the Residence Inn and Courtyard (the two closest hotels) last weekend and they hadn't opened up for reservations yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Came from Los Angeles for the 70.3 his year, flew into Atlanta and drove up. Pretty easy but have to deal with rude Atlant...eans (?), seriously, worse than New York. And some downtown Atlanta traffic. Friends from LA flew into Nashville and seemed to have about the same drive.

Stayed at the Residence Inn and it was awesome, they really welcomed with open arms and made us feel at home. Almost couldn't be closer to transition.

Chattanooga is a really cool town and the people are fantastic.

After the race we took the train to the top of Lookout Mountain, I'd recommend that.

Eats
We ate at
-Lupis- very good pizza, funky local place
-Big river grill- meh, typical food nothing to write home about
-Public House - best meal of the trip, pot roast was delicious.
-Aretha Frankensteins- we went for breakfast, small place be prepared to wait. Not sure it lived up to the hype, but might be cool to go later and watch movies on the outdoor wall (not sure when/if they show them)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Local here!

Agree with others; try to fly to Nashville or Atlanta for cheaper rates. And if you can swing it, both cities are great for exploring.

Keep looking downtown for hotels, but also look in the Hixson area for hotels. It's a very easy 10-15 minute drive to downtown. Or check AirBnb. You could wind up with a great local host/"tour guide."

Right now it's 88F and 50% humidity. Be prepared for heat.

The Incline Railway, Aquarium, and Point Park are my favorite attractions; next would be Rock City and Ruby Falls (a little pricey and touristy, but still beautiful and fascinating). The Chickamauga Battlefield is a great historical attraction.

Try visiting a local brewery: Chattanooga Brewing Company, Moccasin Bend Brewing, Hutton & Smith.

Eat at Lupi's, Bluegrass Grill, Daily Ration, Public House, Main Street Meats, The FEED. There are more that I'll think of later.

Holler (that's a Southernism) if you want more information! Congrats on earning the trip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone that did the 70.3 have a power file they are willing to share? I'd love to see how the course rides.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [Russ Brandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Russ Brandt wrote:
Does anyone that did the 70.3 have a power file they are willing to share? I'd love to see how the course rides.

Not sure how helpful it will be for Worlds. Brian Myrick (WTC RD for other events) has said the bike course will be different. Not sure if he's laying it out or just has "knowledge of the situation".

IM Chatt 70.3 Bike. We did face a headwind on the last 10 miles coming back into town this year #excuses

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [Russ Brandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a strava segment for the course. Plenty of power files but lots of the data is not super clean. Lots of coasting in several of the stronger files and unless the guys weigh 100 pounds, several had interesting power numbers too.

With the crazy easy swim and more dudes on the course, it will be packed. I'm expecting Mont Tremblant v2.0 next September. I'm doing it regardless for the swag. LOL.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
With the crazy easy swim and more dudes on the course, it will be packed. I'm expecting Mont Tremblant v2.0 next September. I'm doing it regardless for the swag. LOL.

It's 70.3 Worlds. It will be a draft fest. Is 51 weeks from race weekend too early to start back up the "70.3 WC Drafting" thread?

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [HardKnox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming this will be a non-wetsuit swim?

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like the Ironman website hasn't fully switched over from this year. There are ghosts from Mooloolaba and one of them is the accommodations page. I would expect that they'll have options for local hotel stays through the group at some point.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Came from Los Angeles for the 70.3 his year, flew into Atlanta and drove up. Pretty easy but have to deal with rude Atlant...eans (?), seriously, worse than New York. And some downtown Atlanta traffic. Friends from LA flew into Nashville and seemed to have about the same drive.

Stayed at the Residence Inn and it was awesome, they really welcomed with open arms and made us feel at home. Almost couldn't be closer to transition.

Chattanooga is a really cool town and the people are fantastic.

After the race we took the train to the top of Lookout Mountain, I'd recommend that.

Eats
We ate at
-Lupis- very good pizza, funky local place
-Big river grill- meh, typical food nothing to write home about
-Public House - best meal of the trip, pot roast was delicious.
-Aretha Frankensteins- we went for breakfast, small place be prepared to wait. Not sure it lived up to the hype, but might be cool to go later and watch movies on the outdoor wall (not sure when/if they show them)

I too flew into ATL as it was the easiest coming from westcoast. East 2 hr drive to Chattanooga.

Have to second the train up Lookout Mtn. I saw it from across the street and was wondering what the hell the train tracks were going up a hill! Very cool ride up and amazing views.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah, post races burger and beers at Urban Stack

Chat has a nice free bus that goes around downtown making transport easy
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

I'd bet WTC blocked them off. They've done the same thing for IM Chatt. When they update the the race page with accommodations those hotels will all show up.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone post up when they go live for the rest of us.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
I'm assuming this will be a non-wetsuit swim?

Yes, I am pretty sure it will be non wetsuit. The Full that takes place 2 weeks later has been non wetsuit (although borderline).

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good or bad, you get me as RD for this race as well. We have a pretty good idea of the new swim, bike and run courses but wont really get them confirmed until the first of the year. We have IM Choo next weekend and then Kona. After that we will really start dialing in the courses for next years WC race. Should be a fun one, Chatt has really embraced the events here and shows no sign of slowing down.

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [endurathonrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endurathonrd wrote:
Good or bad, you get me as RD for this race as well. We have a pretty good idea of the new swim, bike and run courses but wont really get them confirmed until the first of the year.

I think we can handle that. I've done a few of your races (Chatt 70.3 and Full, Muncie, Raleigh). I am anxiously awaiting the release of the (tentative) WC course maps, though!

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [New3901] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New3901 wrote:

To the contrary, I expect the humility level at 70.3 worlds to be close to 0%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasn't able to qualify at Timberman due to a DNF, but am hoping to get there via Syracuse in 2017. I'm thinking it may make sense to make a hotel reservation that's refundable. Can someone clue me in to what area of Chattanooga would be best for a hotel. I'll probably be on my own, have a rental car, and probably use Tri Bike Transport, so I guess location could be somewhat flexible if it's easy to get to the transition/race start.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Last edited by: natethomas: Sep 17, 16 10:55
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
New3901 wrote:

To the contrary, I expect the humility level at 70.3 worlds to be close to 0%.

Ha! Auto correct has made a bad speller look even more stupider! But funny none the less.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was the going rate for downtown hotels during the IM or 70.3 in Chattanooga? I'm curious whether they get outrageous closer to race day.
Quote Reply

Prev Next