Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Recommend me a coffee maker
Quote | Reply
My trusty Krups has finally given up the ghost. I need a replacement pronto. Mrs wimsey wants to dive into reams of consumer reports printouts and such, I just want a decent fucking coffeemaker.

Requirements:
Makes decent coffee (8-10 cups, not one of the individual sized ones)
Don't care if has one of those NASA-designed thermal heat shield carafe thingies; carafe just has to catch, hold and pour coffee
Not one of the Keurig-style pod ones
Has a timer so that I can set it the night before
Won't break for at least a couple of years
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a coffee maker [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
French Press.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a coffee maker [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moka Pot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too much work. I need to be able to set it the night before so that my zombie ass can wake up pour already-made coffee and go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
Too much work. I need to be able to set it the night before so that my zombie ass can wake up pour already-made coffee and go.

Have your wife make it, dummy.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She's incapable of coherent thought (not to mention fine motor skills needed to make coffee) until she's had a cup of coffee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheap mr.coffee. I have had two over 8 years. Only reason why I replaced the original is because when my wife and I moved in together the white one didn't match the other appliances so I need to buy a black one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bunn. Not sure if they have a timer model but mine makes 8 cups of coffee in two minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently purchased a Toddy Cold Brew System. Mainly for the reduced acidity since I've been having heartburn issues and I don't want to give up coffee (if I can avoid it).

Makes a concentrate that can be stored in the fridge for a couple of weeks. Mix with water (or milk if preferred) and microwave. Something to consider as in the morning I mix my coffee for the day and throw it in the microwave. Plus you can make as much or as little as you want anytime (as long as you still have some of the concentrate left).

It does take some time to setup as the minimum recommended brew time is 12 hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You now officially owe me one...

Edit: This design is the bomb, but you may want to get a smaller one.
Last edited by: SH: Sep 14, 16 8:47
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a coffee maker [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

Note to self: Don't tell the wife that some people are organized enough to match the coffeemaker to other appliances.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a coffee maker [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Second the Bunn although I mostly punk out and us a Keurig.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a coffee maker [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is this the same as the moka pot that y_nigel recommended? Does it have a timer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
is this the same as the moka pot that y_nigel recommended? Does it have a timer?

Hadn't heard that exact name, but that's what shows up when I put it in google... so I would say it is the same. There's no timer, but you can quickly recognize the sound of it finishing.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a coffee maker [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
wimsey wrote:

Hadn't heard that exact name, but that's what shows up when I put it in google... so I would say it is the same. There's no timer, but you can quickly recognize the sound of it finishing.

Thanks, but please see the requirements and my response to Duffy - timer is a deal breaker. My time is valuable, which is why I spend it in the LR getting non-responsive suggestions from the peanut gallery .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coffee makers with timers are pieces of shit. If it must have a timer, go buy the cheapest one at walmart as regardless of make you'll be replacing it in 2-3 years.

My morning goes like this:
- alarm.
- turn on coffee pot.
- drink coffee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Bunn is cool is it has that pre-heated water tank so when you hit the switch it's GO!

Quote | Reply
Why do you say that? I had a Krups with a timer that worked for 8+ years and made a reasonable cup of coffee. All that's involved is a timer that turns the damn thing on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.amazon.com/...nts=p_89%3ACuisinart

We have a version of this. When ours crapped out a year or two ago the Mrs came home with it. She had the same parameters you have. Has worked fine. The only thing I don't like about it is the water reservoir is in a odd place and slightly small.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
Coffee makers with timers are pieces of shit. If it must have a timer, go buy the cheapest one at walmart as regardless of make you'll be replacing it in 2-3 years.

My morning goes like this:
- alarm.
- turn on coffee pot.
- drink coffee.
I'm on my second Mr. Coffee, complete with timer, in about 20 years. The only reason I replaced the original was that I broke the carafe, and it didn't make sense to try to replace just that.

To the OP: there's a thread here that basically said if you aren't spending hundreds (or thousands, can't remember), you are a Neanderthal and might as well be drinking Folger's freeze-dried coffee. Pretty much the same group of people who were discussing their nine different watches, each costing five figures, none of which keeps time as well as your Timex Ironman.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a coffee maker [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<you are a Neanderthal and might as well be drinking Folger's freeze-dried coffee>>

Only tangentially related: I worked in a research lab once where my boss was a pharmacy professor and also a self-professed redneck from Georgia. He had two extreme ways of caffeinating during his pharmacy school & residency days:

- Plug of instant coffee under one side of his lip, dip of Skoal under the other side. Used to fuel all-nighters before exams.

- I guess back in the day (maybe still) premature babies would sometimes receive an IV drip of caffeine to help with respiratory drive. My boss would run a line into his own arm and dump in several hundred mgs of caffeine if he was on a marathon call day at the hospital.

He was a fun boss to work for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
French Press.

x2

Boil some water, put good coffee and a little cinnamon in the French Press, pour water, let sit for 4 minutes.

Perfect cup of coffee and not too difficult.

Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a coffee maker [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/...nts=p_89%3ACuisinart

We have a version of this. When ours crapped out a year or two ago the Mrs came home with it. She had the same parameters you have. Has worked fine. The only thing I don't like about it is the water reservoir is in a odd place and slightly small.

We have the virtually the same thing, but it also grinds the beans before brewing. we like it and ours has lasted about 4 years at this point with no issues. An added bonus, or issue, depending on your perspective is that the grinder is pretty damn loud. Good, as you can probably use it as an emergency alarm clock but bad if your wife sleeps in later than you.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a coffee maker [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
French Press.

x2

Boil some water, put good coffee and a little cinnamon in the French Press, pour water, let sit for 4 minutes.

Perfect cup of coffee and not too difficult.

Cinnamon?

I ain't no queer!

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply

Prev Next