Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [alexwong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if that's a 7-series SC (sounds like a 7.8), yes I think it will fit. a 9-series, no.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl. It is a 7 series and I think it'll fit too. Will give it a try after my next race. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl or anyone else know/tested a Xlab vs trek bento box? Was trek bento box specifically designed with airflow in mind? One of my very few complaints about the SC has been the inability to fit a EFS gel flask in the top tube box. This Xlab fixes that but not very flush with the frame, i am wondering what i am giving up in terms of aero/watts by not using the trek box?

Anyone have advice?

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run a dsw 483d due to the same issue (can't fit a flask in the bontrager). I have the same BTA bottle setup as well. I feel I'm giving up nothing compared to the bontrager. If there is any difference, I think it's neglible.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Steve let me first say i have followed your blog for a little bit, man you have had a rough couple of yrs good to see you back racing.......Is the DSW flus with the frame? Since the LG M-2 has no pockets i have debated either running a
1. down tube aero bottle 2. DSW or XLab top tube 3. Kiwami Spider. In your conclusions running the Top Tube box was your winner? You have a spider so why not stick bottle in back pocket there?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you. It's great to be back healthy again.

Yes it's flush with the frame. I'll see if I can post pics of my setup later (out of town right now). I run 3 bottles for a half (BTA, downtube, and behind the seat). They are all mixed the same with water and EFS pro. I then use the flask for a little extra calories. I probably could get away with 2 bottles and use on course nutrition but I'm still pondering that idea. I use the spider but I personally don't like having to use the pockets (on any suit) on the bike during the race. I don't want to risk dropping the flask and I feel since it's a bit harder to access, I won't take the gel when I should be. I'll delay and delay taking it and then I will fall behind my nutrition plan. With the dsw bag, it's right in front of me and very easy to get the flask in and out. No excuses to not take it.

I'm contemplating getting ride of my down tube bottle and either not use it or run an elite aero bottle on the seat tube.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tested with downtube bottle bottle and it was a ton of drag for me, friend testing with me it was a wash. Had been using downtime bottle with calories but trying to get rid of it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to share a little project I made for my SC. I wound up cracking the plastic stem cover by over-tightening the bolts, so I decided to try to make my own stem cover. I made a clay mold of the part and then wrapped it with 6 layers of carbon fiber to create a shell. After quite a lot of curing time, trimming, and a final cosmetic layer and 2 layers of matte clear coat, the part came out great and press fits over the stem. I also laid a single layer of carbon fiber over the plastic part in as well in case I wanted to use it. Its surprising how much lighter the carbon fiber part is compared to the plastic part (32g vs. 19g). 2 small zip ties hold on the Junction A box mount. Anyways, if someone wants more details I can explain more. I am also working on custom arm rests but I think I need a different fabric as this type (12K 2x2 twill) is not very torsionally rigid.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [gte534j] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the speed concept compatible with the tacx neo?

(I know tacx warns there's a chance that bikes with hidden aero brakes might not fit)

Thanks!
Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [bostonmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have the Bontrager BTA bottle cage/holder, using with a Speedfil A2. Like the setup.
only problem is I want to use the Garmin mount, specifically the one used with the 920 quick release bike mount (or the newer Garmin supplied quarter turn mounts). I tried mounting it on of the aero extensions, but it gets in the way of my forearms.
I'd like to use it on the mounting point atop the cage, but can't figure how to attach it using the rubber bands.
Any ideas?

My alternative was getting the Speedfil BTA mount (Z4+) with the QT attachment built in.

Last edited by: srschick: Aug 22, 16 10:01
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [srschick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not totally familiar with what comes in a Garmin box...are there different size bands? Have you tried criss-crossing the bands as they pass under the hump on the Bontrager cage?

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
I'm not totally familiar with what comes in a Garmin box...are there different size bands? Have you tried criss-crossing the bands as they pass under the hump on the Bontrager cage?

Yeah, tried that. I'll take a pic of it tonight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it would sit up higher, but how about using the 31.8 band clamp detail that came with the cage? Or finding something slightly less tall to take up enough space that the Garmin mount ends up secure?

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl, Tried that too. It just didn't' seen that secure.

Trying to locate a QT mount that uses some sort of strap or can use zip-ties.
Some think like what Ben Kanute did on his bike:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Lifestyle/Ben_Kanute_s_Trek_Speed_Concept_j5835.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
going a little further into the unknown: single band snaking around to all four sets of hooks? attached pic shows a coworker's bike with that setup on the mono

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hmmm... may give that a go tonight. Only problem is the top of the BTA may cover that area a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go back a page or two and there's a profile design small garmin mount that fits in between the extensions to allow centre mounting of garmin out in front of bta bottle.

Best solution and I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Fazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fazz wrote:
Go back a page or two and there's a profile design small garmin mount that fits in between the extensions to allow centre mounting of garmin out in front of bta bottle.

+1 on this.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Fazz wrote:

+1 on this.

I use this one instead of the Profile Design: Barfly TT Mount

The length of the arm happens to put the Garmin perfectly centered between the extensions, and it's lower profile than having to strap the Garmin QR to the cylinder mount. I use it for an Edge 510 though, so not sure if there would be clearance issues with the 920.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 910 is mounted on top of the cage as you describe with the smaller bands and works perfectly

It's only impossible if you stop to think about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl -

The problem with mounting a Garmin on the water bottle cage is that it vibrates at high frequency, which makes it difficult to read the Garmin. (Try it.) And at least for me, the water bottle cage mount is not in easy line of sight. I haven't seen many pros (even those sponsored by Trek) using the water bottle mount for their computers.

I find it better to mount directly to the extensions using a Barfly or similar mount.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [PMo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PMo wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
Fazz wrote:

+1 on this.

I use this one instead of the Profile Design: Barfly TT Mount

The length of the arm happens to put the Garmin perfectly centered between the extensions, and it's lower profile than having to strap the Garmin QR to the cylinder mount. I use it for an Edge 510 though, so not sure if there would be clearance issues with the 920.

I use the same with a 520. Happy with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl, this has probably been asked somewhere before in the hundreds of pages, but I'm experimenting with aerobar angle on the current SC, and I only seem to be able to achieve around 10 degrees tilt. I've taken the stop screw out far enough to not have an effect, loosened both of the bolts through the pivot cradle right off, and I can tilt it back a bit more than 10 degrees, but when I tighten the rear bolt to the recommended torque, it rotates it forward to approx 10 degrees. It then holds that position when I tighten the front bolt and tighten the stop screw. Is it intended that 10 degrees is the limit or am I missing something?

bostonmatt: I use the current SC with a Neo and the Neo casing contacts the underside of the SC's chainstays, so I had to remove considerable material from the Neo case, until I could slide a piece of paper between the carbon of the bike and the Neo casing. If you don't mind having the front of the bike raised a bit higher you may be able to avoid the problem that way, but I want it completely level. I have heard that they are slightly revising the shape of the casing to improve compatibility with frames, but don't know when these will filter through to retailers or if it will specifically help with where it was contacting the SC. I did report the issue with the SC to Tacx, so it's possible they got hold of one to try and took it into account in the altered design.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got two bikes built up right now...10deg is pretty much what I get as well. The boss that the setscrew is in contacts the aft end of the monospacer pretty much where the setscrew would.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guys, I took the plunge and picked up an SC series 9. I actually don't know the exacat model (really) and think its a 2011. Can someone help me here. Hopefully i have attached a pic succesfully
It currently has 11 spd mech and I'm considering swapping my 11 spd Di2 from my road bike over.
I know its been talked to death about how to do it, but can someone tell me in brief the tricky areas with this install, and whether its worth it to go through the swap or not.

I love the Di2 on my other bike but I'm also selling it so might make sense to put it on the SC.

If anyone can see anythng I should add (except wheels) would appreciate the input.
cheers
Quote Reply

Prev Next