Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Headset speed concept 9.9 [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Carl will try to solve this, otherwise I will contact again , thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
Here are a couple things for either you or your dealer to try:

• remove the stem cover and tighten the stem pinch band to correct torque
  • now try to turn the bearing preload nut with a 6mm hex wrench

• if it turns, part # W328492 is the warranty replacement for the preload nut
    • if it turns, also check the area near the stem pinch band for cracks, which can occur when the band is tightened beyond spec to eliminate noise

• if you see cracks then you need to replace your stem...part # depends on which stem you have...it should be printed on the underside of the stem

Hey Carl, 2011 9 series here. I noticed some creaking so I tried the above procedure. Should the preload nut be impossible to turn with a hex wrench? I was able to turn mine with moderate force but give me a long enough lever and I'll move the world preload nut. Creaking was gone in my last ride but I'm worried it'll return in time. Is there a visual way to determine if the nut is the old one?

Support cancer research with the world's longest annual charity bike ride.
Texas 4000 for Cancer
Austin, TX to Anchorage, Alaska
http://texas4000.org/
Quote Reply
Re: Headset speed concept 9.9 [santino314] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it shouldn't be possible to turn with moderate force. might be worth checking around the stem pinch band for cracks, as those would just continue to open up and the creaking would come back.

that nut has gone through several color changes since the original design...first one was raw aluminum...first color on the redesign was black, then a blue-ish gray, and I think it's back to silver again.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the latest nut an improved version over the "second" version (which replaced the original raw alum)?

Also, remind us again of the part number for the upper bearing? I am already on my second one, which is now really gritty and has indentation-steering issues. My lower is still okay so I only need the upper.

Thanks.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: Headset speed concept 9.9 [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no changes to the improved version.

upper SC9 bearing PN is W276442

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The preload nut was definitely raw aluminum so I'll order the replacement (W328492). Can I order this online or will I have to go through a shop? I couldn't find anything with a quick google search. Thanks.

I looked for cracks in the stem but didn't see any. I'll double check when I swap out the preload nut.

Support cancer research with the world's longest annual charity bike ride.
Texas 4000 for Cancer
Austin, TX to Anchorage, Alaska
http://texas4000.org/
Quote Reply
Re: Headset speed concept 9.9 [santino314] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you'll need to work through a Trek dealer.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

Read you comments about stem nut issue. I have a 2010 SC 9.9 that I bought secondhand last year for a tri. I had my LBS put in a taller stem. Like a lot of the previous comments, the front end kept getting loose. Took back to the LBS and they tightened down hard creating the creaking noise that everyone complains about. The front end continued to loosen. Earlier that year I returned from a ride and discovered that the front end was loose again. This time, I noticed that the stem was broken where it clamps to that stem nut. LBS replaced the stem. This time the mechanic said he put a small washer on the nut to the clamp on the stem. Said that that would keep the clamp tight now. Never mentioned anything about the stem nut issue. Took the bike on a 50 mile ride and it was the quietest that I have had it. No noise whatsoever. The next ride (about 30 miles) I started getting some creaking as soon as I started riding. The next ride (about 30 miles) I got heavy creaking right away. Upon inspection about the ride I noticed that the fork was cracked about an inch down from the top where it connects to the stem. I'm guessing that the carbon is separating from the aluminum block that attached to the stem.

I wanted to get your input on why the fork is cracking. Is it related to the loosening of the stem because of that stem nut issue? Is this a common failure? Trek doesn't stock this fork anymore and wants a pretty good amount to make another one. Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Headset speed concept 9.9 [trektribike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't call either issue common, but there were incidents reported here...generally from the same vintage...just not normally as far along in the ownership cycle as yours is. Not aware of any instances where we could link one to the other (i.e. causation)...each has its roots in different issues, and both were dealt with on our end via running changes to production parts. On the consumer end they were dealt with via the warranty process for original owners.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl, you said that Trek dealt with the issue with changes to the production parts. Was that the change in design after 2013 (gen 2)? If Trek make a new fork for me for this gen 1 bike, how do I know it's not going to fail too? That is, is Trek going to make the reproduced fork the same way as the original version? Will they also paint the fork with old paint scheme of the bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Headset speed concept 9.9 [trektribike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no, it was a running change in the gen1 parts, and any gen1 parts in stock (or ordered) now would reflect those changes. I'm not aware of any reports or claims on the redesigned parts.

on the paint thing I don't know for sure. I can say that if the original colorway is an option there likely won't be a guarantee of exact color-matching...the only way to do that is to paint the frame and fork at the same time.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hi Carl
im google everywhere but still cant find headset lower bearing type and size for sc 9.8 2011
didn't you know that?
Quote Reply
Re: Headset speed concept 9.9 [shishkinandrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cane creek 1" bearing...part #428420 from your Trek dealer

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there an online Trek Shop where we can order or purchase these mentioned parts.( bearings and pre-load nut). I have a difficult time dealing with local dealers, they don't seem to know how to get these parts.

Proudly sponsored by Orleans Cycles, Turbo Cranks, and the csdceo
Quote Reply
Re: Headset speed concept 9.9 [Dancon7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Dancon7

Service parts aren't part of our online store at this time.

Any Trek dealer should be able to look in their ordering system for "Trek Speed Concept (Gen 1) Headset Service Parts" and have no trouble finding both of those.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

I'm looking to replace the upper head bearing on my 2013 Trek Speed Concept 7.0. Is this also part W276442? I want to install it myself, so I'm wondering if there is anywhere I can buy this online? (FSA or Canecreek model for example?)

Thanks!

-------
Half Iron junkie, founder http://www.competehub.com
Quote Reply
Re: Headset speed concept 9.9 [mbesto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's the upper headset bearing PN for all SCs, 2010-present, with the external steerer (aka bayonet style) fork. it's a custom bearing, so I'm not sure you'll find it anywhere other than through your Trek dealer.

1st generation SC 7-series bikes (which technically were model years 2010-2013) that had a standard stem on a 1" aluminum fork steerer used a 1" cane creek upper bearing, PN 428420 from your Trek dealer.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Headset speed concept 9.9 [mbesto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can get it online in US from Real World Cycling here: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id366.html

I'm not sure this is any cheaper than from Trek dealer. You can check for it elsewhere online using the part number you posted. It is sourced from Enduro and is a 14mm x 25mm x 6.5mm bearing. If you have access to a specialty bearing dealer locally then check what they can do for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am trying to service the headset in my 2012 SC. The link to the manual is no longer valid because Trek doesn't appear to be publishing it anymore. Any chance a file can be attached here or PM me and I'll provide an email address if anyone has a stored copy of the manual. I can't figure out how to remove the fork. I can loosen the bolt to which the pinch ring is attached and I can get the fork loose, but not out.
Quote Reply

Prev Next